Can the O really be better? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the O really be better?

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Norv thinks the O is better right now than it was last year. Hmmmm Ricky 8 yards on 15 carries this preseason. CC and Jay one completion of more than 25 yards. Well if that's better, then I hate to see their worst.

Turner system sweeter 2nd time around

If Jay plays like he did early last year, Chambers lives it up, McMichael doesn't slump, & guys like DT have good years.. We should be better. Ricky is Ricky.

The offense looked pathetic last preseason and we came out like gangbusters in the regular season. At least we looked decent this preseason, so I think our offense will be very good.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
If Jay plays like he did early last year, Chambers lives it up, McMichael doesn't slump, & guys like DT have good years.. We should be better. Ricky is Ricky.

I really see the X factor as McKnight exploiting the #3 cb. I think that match up will pay big dividends for us.

I think this offense will bust out. We showed absolutely nothing in the preseason. An extra helping of vanilla. They'll move the ball in chunks come Sunday.

I cannot wait. I'm so excited.

If Miami has the Fiedler at the beginning of last season and the Ricky Williams at the end of last season, yes they can play better.

I, much like Dave Wannstedt, am more concerned with the Defense.

Ranking third in the league is jsut dandy, when you want to brag to your friends who are Jets fans, but it does nothing to help you win on the road.

Fiedler starts 16 games, the offense isn't a concern.

The key will be the performance of the offensive line and staying healthy.

If the OL is not up to par - the rest will collapse. That's where it starts. Then, the skill guys must stay healthy. If that happens, I'm confident they are good enough to win a SB with our defense.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I really see the X factor as McKnight exploiting the #3 cb. I think that match up will pay big dividends for us.

You're right. I think he could be the #2 WR here. I like our 1 and 2, but he is a great 3. He wont drop anymore.

We have a better O then the Ravens when they won the Bucs when they won and our D will be 1 or 2 this year this will help the O this year. Staying healthy only concern to me.

Originally posted by Stamos
I, much like Dave Wannstedt, am more concerned with the Defense.

Ranking third in the league is jsut dandy, when you want to brag to your friends who are Jets fans, but it does nothing to help you win on the road.

Fiedler starts 16 games, the offense isn't a concern.

I agree with the comment about the defense. Yesterday, I was watching the 1990 playoff game against the Bills. From memory (someone feel free to correct me on this) the Phins D ranked number 5 in the NFL that year. Unfortunately, that didn't stop Kelly carving through the Phins like a hot knife through butter. Even if the Phins D ranks number one, that won't mean anything at all unless they can make big plays when it counts. Tampa Bay and the Ravens (Superbowl vintage) played big when it counted.

The Phins D has to play solid football for 4 quarters. Too many times, they play great in one half, only for an offense to make the correct adjustments. In addition, opposing offenses are going to have a primary target: they will find ways to matchup Zach and Junior in coverage....that needs to be addressed early.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Norv thinks the O is better right now than it was last year. Hmmmm Ricky 8 yards on 15 carries this preseason. CC and Jay one completion of more than 25 yards. Well if that's better, then I hate to see their worst.

Of course they have a better O this year... Why woudn't they be? Preseason? Are you kidding me? You are worried because preseason production?

FORGET ABOUT PRESEASON.... Last year Jay had an unhealthy offseason and barely played in preseason. Yet the Dolphins came out scoring like 28+ points a game until Jay got hurt... Bearing in mind that was Norv's FIRST year here, Ricky's FIRST year here, and it was Randy McMichael's ROOKIE year... If thats not bad enough, there was NO depth or experience at left tackle...

Contrast that with this year where Jay was healthy and got stronger in the offseason. Then in training camo and preseason defined himself as the clear leader even WITH a healthy Greise breathing down his neck...

Also, IMO our wide receiver Corps has gotten significantly better, faster, and deeper, and ALL of our starting wides out (Chambers, McKnight, Thompson) have had AT LEAST a year in Norv's system...

Yes there are some question marks on the offensive line, but no worse than at the beginning of last year... So why would the O be any worse...?

As long as Jay stays healthy I think the Dolphins overall will average AT LEAST 28 points per game.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OL is the key, if they don't play well Feidler won't stay healthy and either will Sage, Brian or Ricky.
I wanna see this team finish the game, I wanna see a killer instinct on both sides of the ball, I don't care if we're up by 21 points I wanna see the offense trying to score and I wanna see the defense playing solid until the final second ticks off the clock.

Last year after the Lions game I was happy we won (knew we would) but not happy that a rookie QB and a sorry a$$ offense score 21 on our D. I saw exactly what I saw in the past from that defense, soft play late in the game with a lead.
Scrubs shmubs no excuses, they allowed 21 points from the 28 ranked offense last year.

STEP ON THEIR THROATS!

People love to talk about the Ravens offense of 2000. One thing they did they we haven't been able to consistently do is hit on the deep passes. Trent Dilfer could get the ball down the field and was usually good for a few deep completions a game. That, and the Ravens had perhaps the best special teams unit in history. Not only was Jermaine Lewis and the return teams excellent, but the Ravens were constantly blocking and/or pressuring punts and field goals.

Back
Top Bottom