Can the O really be better? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the O really be better?

True, they were an extremely aggressive team in all area's of play, sure their offense wasn't a juggernaught but they attact the defenses they played with the deep ball.

But the Ravens D played 4 qtrs of football, They're additude was I don't care where you get the ball, you won't score a TD, remember the titians on the Ravens 1 yard line, and the Ravens needed to stop them. 4 straight times, they held, that's the mentality of a good D. Does our have that, or do they lower they're heads when a team gets that close? Our OL should have picked it up a little this preseason, last year was understandable because they were still learning the system, but this year they should have been comfortable and Ricky should at least have gotten 50 yards on 15 carries. No excuses, I'm tired of them. When someone doesn't do what they're suppose to do, you need to learn to hold them accountable. This whole world makes excuses for everything. The fact is this is our 2nd year in Norv's O, the line should know their assignments and execute them well, we were playing the basic plays of this O. Surely they can execute that I would hope.

There is some concern about the O-line, but in Turner's last year in SD he was responsible for Tomlinson having a huge year. Their O-line was so bad that they released at least two of their starters at the end of the season.

Turner just might be one of the best coordinators out there. He seems to have a knack for play calling and schemes to get the job done. The second year in his system will lead to very good results.

I think Miami's personel is a perfect fit for Turner. I think Konrad and McMichael will have even larger roles this year. The biggest problem when Lucas was to QB was that he could not run Turner's offense. Lucas looked okay under Chan Gailey and in pre-season last year (when there is no real game planning).

Like several people, I think peformance on the road (especially on defense) is the key to this year. If we can maintain our dominance at home (where we should have been 8-0 last year) and improve our road record to at least 5-3, we could legitmately be 13-3 or 12-4 and get home field in the playoffs.

Our road games are:

NYJ, NYG, JAX, SD, TEN, DAL, NE, BUF

We should easily win NYJ, JAX, DAL

So, we need to win 2 of these:
NYG, SD, TEN, NE, BUF

None of those games should be considered unwinnable.

This team with home field advantage in the playoffs would be the favorite in the AFC to reach the SB.

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo

Our road games are:

NYG, SD, TEN, NE, BUF

This team with home field advantage in the playoffs would be the favorite in the AFC to reach the SB.

SD and DAL are on nationnal TV and we usually do well on monday night so we could (and should) win them.

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo
There is some concern about the O-line, but in Turner's last year in SD he was responsible for Tomlinson having a huge year. Their O-line was so bad that they released at least two of their starters at the end of the season.

Turner just might be one of the best coordinators out there. He seems to have a knack for play calling and schemes to get the job done. The second year in his system will lead to very good results.

I think Miami's personel is a perfect fit for Turner. I think Konrad and McMichael will have even larger roles this year. The biggest problem when Lucas was to QB was that he could not run Turner's offense. Lucas looked okay under Chan Gailey and in pre-season last year (when there is no real game planning).

Like several people, I think peformance on the road (especially on defense) is the key to this year. If we can maintain our dominance at home (where we should have been 8-0 last year) and improve our road record to at least 5-3, we could legitmately be 13-3 or 12-4 and get home field in the playoffs.

Our road games are:

NYG, SD, TEN, NE, BUF

I would agree with this if we had a team that mentally wouldn't allow situations to get into their heads, but that mental toughness is what I'm waiting to see before I jump on this bandwagon. Right now, I just want them to win and gain confidence, no matter what the situation. I'll know by the 4th game if they're doing that. Then see how they approach December. They got the monkey off their backs last year when they beat the Jets, I thought this would catipult them though the rest of the season, but I was wrong...so now, I won't them to prove to me I'm wrong about their mental attitude.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I would agree with this if we had a team that mentally wouldn't allow situations to get into their heads, but that mental toughness is what I'm waiting to see before I jump on this bandwagon.

So what was it that you didn't agree with:

1. They need to win on the road.
2. Winning on the road has been a problem
3. We have been dominant at home
4. 3 of the 8 road games should be easy wins
5. None of the other games should be considered unwinnable
6. 7-1 at home plus 5-3 on the road equals 12-4
7. A 12-4 record gives us a good shot at home field advantage
8. Miami with home field would be tough to beat in the playoffs
9. I don't really believe the things I write

Originally posted by phinphan

I agree with the comment about the defense. Yesterday, I was watching the 1990 playoff game against the Bills. From memory (someone feel free to correct me on this) the Phins D ranked number 5 in the NFL that year. Unfortunately, that didn't stop Kelly carving through the Phins like a hot knife through butter. Even if the Phins D ranks number one, that won't mean anything at all unless they can make big plays when it counts. Tampa Bay and the Ravens (Superbowl vintage) played big when it counted.

The Phins D has to play solid football for 4 quarters. Too many times, they play great in one half, only for an offense to make the correct adjustments. In addition, opposing offenses are going to have a primary target: they will find ways to matchup Zach and Junior in coverage....that needs to be addressed early.

A couple of things to remember from the 1990 team. The high ranking was based off yardage, not points. Also the schedule that year included many teams that were not that good offensively. Also that playoff game was in the snow on a rug, and that defense played much better on grass than on rugs that year. Also in the playoff game, John Offerdahl, who was probably the best player on the defense, was injured and missed the game.

Back
Top Bottom