Can we trade Wilkins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can we trade Wilkins?

If Wilkins were to be an UFA he would have major interest from just about any team with the available cap space in order to sign him assuming it made sense for them in terms of their current roster and how close they are to being contenders.

I dont think Wilkins would care all that much where he goes as long as he is paid his market value, so I dont think he would turn down the big contract he seeks from another team in order to play in Miami again on the franchise tag.

So what it would come down to is how much compensation can we get for him in a trade.
Sounds good in theory.

List all the "tag n trades" that have happened in the last 5 years.

I'll wait.

I don't think other teams like Wilkins because he's a clown.

You can, technically, but it rarely happens. The Phins really have no leverage in that situation.

Not only does the other team have to be on board with paying CW what he wants, CW has to be on board with going to that team long term, otherwise he can just say no to the offer.

I guess a team might be interested in a one year rental, but what are they going to give up, considering they are taking the immediate cap hit.

OP's proposal in not realistic, IMO.

Others are correct. The time to trade him was last year if they expected to get anything of real value.
Wilkens wants north of 24M per year....that is serious money for a DL who is not named Reggie White.

Wilkens wants north of 24M per year....that is serious money for a DL who is not named Reggie White.
We can't pay and $24M and shouldn't even if we could. Fins should make him a fair offer based on his production and see what happens.

I like Wilkens and hope he stays....but there is no way I would overpay to keep him.

The problem is Miami has to have the cap space to tag Wilkins the day they put the tag on him. I don’t see how that’s possible.

Sorry but the only GM willing to trade a 1st rounder AND accept a franchise tag player to sign to a long-term 20mil+ deal is Chris Grier.

These things just don't happen very often. And as much as I love Wilkins, he isn't viewed as elite by the rest of the league....making this even less likely. I wouldnt do it and I'm still at odds about the Chubb deal tbh.

Are we not in win now mode? it's so confusing lol

The Patriots Dynasty while in win now made notoriously made trades like this.

Nonetheless, in a tag and trade scenario I can’t see a team giving up more than a 2nd to give a 28-year old DT a huge contract. Unless you are a truly elite franchise shifting player, the need for a new contract diminishes the trade value.

Sounds good in theory.

List all the "tag n trades" that have happened in the last 5 years.

I'll wait.

List how many coaches don't take the 3 points to go ahead by 17 in a Conference Championship game.

You're correct on odds but it doesn't mean it can't happen. It rarely occurs until it does, yah know?

I think we'd all love to keep Wilkins but investing that much money on a DL in our cap situation is troublesome to say the least.

Let us at the very least conjecture trades with a pinch of fantasy, Mach... for the love of God.🤣

Are we not in win now mode? it's so confusing lol
This is what I don’t understand about the “let Wilkins walk” crowd.

For the 2024 season, Terron Armstead is 32. Raheem Mostert is 31. Tyreek Hill is 30. Xavien Howard is 31. Jalen Ramsey is 29. Bradley Chubb and Zach Sieler are 28.

Tua is about to sign a $250 million contract.

Phillips, Holland, and Waddle will all be free agents after this year.

This is the window. We win now or we probably don’t win before our next rebuild. How does letting Wilkins walk make us a better team in 2024?

If you think we can better use the money, how? We can likely re-sign everyone that matters without letting Wilkins walk. If your answer is that it doesn’t make us better immediately, but you’re saving money for a future that doesn’t exist, you just don’t understand how the modern NFL works. Fiscal responsibility isn’t a virtue.

List how many coaches don't take the 3 points to go ahead by 17 in a Conference Championship game.

You're correct on odds but it doesn't mean it can't happen. It rarely occurs until it does, yah know?

I think we'd all love to keep Wilkins but investing that much money on a DL in our cap situation is troublesome to say the least.

Let us at the very least conjecture trades with a pinch of fantasy, Mach... for the love of God.🤣
Agree about Wilkins.

Not sure what play calling has to do with the topic of the thread. I guess you can't help yourself, but try not to conflate issues with off topic and irrelevant interjecting.

You can fantasize all you want, but don't be surprised when someone with a grasp of reality or your wife, depending on the genre of fantasy, lol, has a response.

This is what I don’t understand about the “let Wilkins walk” crowd.

For the 2024 season, Terron Armstead is 32. Raheem Mostert is 31. Tyreek Hill is 30. Xavien Howard is 31. Jalen Ramsey is 29. Bradley Chubb and Zach Sieler are 28.

Tua is about to sign a $250 million contract.

Phillips, Holland, and Waddle will all be free agents after this year.

This is the window. We win now or we probably don’t win before our next rebuild. How does letting Wilkins walk make us a better team in 2024?

If you think we can better use the money, how? We can likely re-sign everyone that matters without letting Wilkins walk. If your answer is that it doesn’t make us better immediately, but you’re saving money for a future that doesn’t exist, you just don’t understand how the modern NFL works. Fiscal responsibility isn’t a virtue.
I agree with you, and in actuality 2023 was probably the best roster the Dolphins will ever put around Tua considering it was the last year of his rookie deal and we have so many UFA's this offseason and we are more than $50M over next years salary cap.

We are now going to have to release several players and restructure several other players contracts just to get down barely under the salary cap. That doesnt take into account re-signing some of our own UFA's or signing other UFA's to improve the roster.

I would really like to re-sign Wilkins but I just wonder how realistic it is considering our salary cap mess and the fact that we have so many other positions on the roster that need to be upgraded.

I would just try to open up one more year of this window that we have Tua on the relative cheap, his 5th year option $23M. Run it back as best we can and see what Tua does. If there is no improvement then I would just start over in 2025 and use that year as a reset which we will have to do anyway because of our salary cap mess and start rebuilding, and draft another QB.

Agree about Wilkins.

Not sure what play calling has to do with the topic of the thread. I guess you can't help yourself, but try not to conflate issues with off topic and irrelevant interjecting.

You can fantasize all you want, but don't be surprised when someone with a grasp of reality or your wife, depending on the genre of fantasy, lol, has a response.

You're a real bitter fella, Mach. 🥸

1706624647178.gif

Youd be fortunate to get a 3rd for a Wilkins trade. But it should still be explored - the reality is that we bet on him having a mediocre year and accepting our 19mm/yr offer. He had a good year - granted, not as good of a year as the guy we DID lock up for 11mm/yr... so.. its hard to fault Grier for his moves here.

If Wilkins is worth $24mm after being outperformed by the guy who makes less than half that... dont you think we're going to see the 11mm a year guy ask for 20+? I do.

Back
Top Bottom