Can we trade Wilkins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can we trade Wilkins?

I think we are going to put the franchise tag on him. A lot of people dont think its wise to invest over $20M annually on a DT especially since we are in such a salary cap mess.

I was looking at potential trade partners who have a lot of salary cap space. The Lions have over $58M in cap space next year. They are obviously a team in win now mode so they might be willing to trade for Wilkins.

I think you can negotiate a trade while you have a player under the franchise tag.

The Lions starting DT's are Alim McNeill and Benito Jones. Wilkins would definitely represent an upgrade.

Lets say we get the Lions first pick number 29 and their 4th and we give them back one of our 6ths.

Having picks number 21 and 29 would give us options to trade down and really stockpile our roster with some cheap young talent which is what we need.
I'd be amazed if Detroit give up their 1st and pay Wilkins $24M a season. This is the same franchise that let Suh walk. In fact I'll be amazed if anyone wants him if Miami franchises him. The Ravens franchised Lamar last season and there were no takers.

Didnt Seattle just give the Giants a 2nd round pick for Leonard Williams at the trade deadline? I think Wilkins had a much better year than Williams.
But he was counting as $600K against the cap, they didn't have to pay him $100M.

We can certainly trade him and I think we should. He is great but I don't think we have the luxury to spend on him. I would re-sign AVG and Hunt before him. It sucks to separate Sieler and WIlkins.

I said trade him last year or during the season when we actually could get something for him and a lot of people lost their minds at the thought of not winning the Super Bowl this season.

Just before the 2022 season started I said sign him to an extension now because its going to get tougher.

There is no vision or greater plan at work in the front office.

Never has been.

So no, we are not going to tag him and trade him now.

Chris Grier should not be making decisions anymore.

We can certainly trade him and I think we should. He is great but I don't think we have the luxury to spend on him. I would re-sign AVG and Hunt before him. It sucks to separate Sieler and WIlkins.

Trade him for what? Your going to tag him and then get what for him? More than the third round compensatory pick he'll likely earn you when he departs?

A new team is going to sign him to a monster contract and give up a 2nd round pick, when his current team didn't value him enough to sign him?

Trade him for what? Your going to tag him and then get what for him? More than the third round compensatory pick he'll like earn you when he departs?

A new team is going to sign him to a monster contract and give up a 2nd round pick, when his current team didn't value him enough to sign him?
Teams trade or cut players all the time, and it doesn’t have to deal with performance a lot of times it’s simply financial. KC let Tyreek go in his prime, and in retrospect it was probably a win-win for both.

Teams trade or cut players all the time, and it doesn’t have to deal with performance a lot of times it’s simply financial. KC let Tyreek go in his prime, and in retrospect it was probably a win-win for both.

Teams don't trade players after their contracts expire.

Wilkins should've been traded during the season.

Also, I am not sure how getting Tyreek was a win for Miami. It certainly was for KC though.

This is what I don’t understand about the “let Wilkins walk” crowd.

For the 2024 season, Terron Armstead is 32. Raheem Mostert is 31. Tyreek Hill is 30. Xavien Howard is 31. Jalen Ramsey is 29. Bradley Chubb and Zach Sieler are 28.

Tua is about to sign a $250 million contract.

Phillips, Holland, and Waddle will all be free agents after this year.

This is the window. We win now or we probably don’t win before our next rebuild. How does letting Wilkins walk make us a better team in 2024?

If you think we can better use the money, how? We can likely re-sign everyone that matters without letting Wilkins walk. If your answer is that it doesn’t make us better immediately, but you’re saving money for a future that doesn’t exist, you just don’t understand how the modern NFL works. Fiscal responsibility isn’t a virtue.

TBH, I don't think many want to run it back. A lot of fans seem to be considering the costs of getting to 11-6 and the inefficiency of things towards the end. Despite the roster being 'so good' the team really wasn't that great at all. The idea of running it back is pretty dubious at this stage.

You dose a fire with gasoline and there's going to be a quick flare-up which we saw early on. The Dolphins played in more big games this year than maybe anyone else in the NFL but they lost virtually all those games, several in embarrassing fashion. The only game they won was a squeaker based on 5 FGs.

You have a GM who can't produce much without Top-40 draft picks or big-money signings.
You have a HC with very little experience and a history of drawing a blank in the 2nd half of big games.
You have a small QB who doesn't seem to do the things that bail a team out when it's so needed.
You have a patchwork roster filled with veterans and soon-to-be expensive re-signings.

Success in the NFL is about creating value. Where exactly in all that are you creating value? Spending money--check. Making headlines--check. Getting the national media to pay attention--check. But where's the actual value?

After seeing the losses to the Bills, Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills and Chiefs where half those games weren't even competitive I'm sympathetic to the idea that any sort of "run it back" narrative is just missing the point.

I think a lot of people just want to avoid a disaster so costly it inflicts pain on the 2025 and 2026 seasons. There seem to be a number of people converging on the idea of 2024 being a sacrificial year that bridges a gap towards a future where the roster looks quite a bit different.

You can't have 2024 be a "run it back" and a "bridge" year simultaneously.

Teams don't trade players after their contracts expire.

Wilkins should've been traded during the season.

Also, I am not sure how getting Tyreek was a win for Miami. It certainly was for KC though.
because he produced as well as expected, and probably exceeded expectations, what more can you get from a player? It's a team failure not the player. If we got him and he got a season-ending injury, was charged with a crime, failed a drug test, and underperformed, then that's a fail. It may not have been the right move in retrospect, but can't fault his production.

TBH, I don't think many want to run it back. A lot of fans seem to be considering the costs of getting to 11-6 and the inefficiency of things towards the end. Despite the roster being 'so good' the team really wasn't that great at all. The idea of running it back is pretty dubious at this stage.

You dose a fire with gasoline and there's going to be a quick flare-up which we saw early on. The Dolphins played in more big games this year than maybe anyone else in the NFL but they lost virtually all those games, several in embarrassing fashion. The only game they won was a squeaker based on 5 FGs.

You have a GM who can't produce much without Top-40 draft picks or big-money signings.
You have a HC with very little experience and a history of drawing a blank in the 2nd half of big games.
You have a small QB who doesn't seem to do the things that bail a team out when it's so needed.
You have a patchwork roster filled with veterans and soon-to-be expensive re-signings.

After seeing the losses to the Bills, Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills and Chiefs where half those games weren't even competitive I'm sympathetic to the idea that any sort of "run it back" narrative is just missing the point.

I think a lot of people just want to avoid a disaster so costly it inflicts pain on the 2025 and 2026 seasons at this point.
I think we were in a few of those games but blew them in the second half due to failed adjustments and poor play-calling. I am not sure what we should do because we are close to being a championship team but have a lot of issues, most of which were mentioned by you, and glaring, deep problems. Our GM cannot draft, period. McD needs to change things up, completely. He is a one-trick pony and exposed by good coaching. Our team is getting old and we are not in great cap shape (see my first point). Can we straighten all this out in one off-season...I doubt it. This leaves me with a bad taste and part of me says strip back down to the basics because I doubt we put most of this together next year considering we need quite a bit and won't have the GM, and maybe the growth from our coach to do it.

because he produced as well as expected, and probably exceeded expectations, what more can you get from a player? It's a team failure not the player. If we got him and he got a season-ending injury, was charged with a crime, failed a drug test, and underperformed, then that's a fail. It may not have been the right move in retrospect, but can't fault his production.

You can fault the deal because it came on the heels of trading two first round picks for Jaylen Waddle. When you combine the two transactions and realize you gave up a chance at like 7 rookie contracts for two WR's, its a huge error.

We are where we are right now because of those two moves.

At the moment, no you can't trade him. He is not under contract and is a FA.

You can franchise tag him, but that doesn't, necessarily, mean you would find a trade partner.

You can franchise tag him, but that doesn't, necessarily, mean you would find a trade partner.

Ya I can't comprehend how people don't know how this works.

Our leverage over the situation is gone. As if Christian is going to work with us to find him a trade partner so that his new team has to give his old team assets as well as giving him a monster contract.

I was referring to the tag and trade.

I was referring to the tag and trade.

Its VERY rare. It would take a unique set of circumstances like the Packers rebuilding the roster by trading Devante Adams. Also you'd need a great FO like Green Bay, we have a bottom tier FO, like the Raiders, who thought Adams was the missing piece. Nope they are idiots like our FO, thinking WR's make that big of a difference.

Adams joins Tyreek Hill in the group of really great WR's who weren't worth acquiring.

But somehow we are smarter than the Chiefs and Packers FO.

Back
Top Bottom