Can't Have It Both Ways On Tannehill | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can't Have It Both Ways On Tannehill

Havanese13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You can’t have it both ways. You can’t scream from the rooftops about how bad Miami’s offensive coordinator was and then turn around and blast Tannehill for not performing better within his offense. Let’s be real. The offensive scheme was horrid. Formations rarely changed. Playmakers were always in the same spot. Misdirection running plays didn’t exist. Hell, you knew if it was run or pass by go vs. go-go. I could go on and on, but why relive the misery. The bottom line is that it was the most frustrating season I have ever been a part of, and I’ve only missed three games since I got my driver’s license seventeen years ago, and none of those were during 1-15.
In the end, I am so excited about Tannehill. I have no idea how all Dolphins fans are not. I agree, the deep accuracy has to improve. I also agree his needs to keep progressing on his pocket presence. But, let’s be fair, the jump from year one to year two was significant, as evidenced by, among other things, his much improved presence and touchdown numbers (doubled). That happened in...Sherman’s...offense. Which...anyone with eyes knew often caused involuntary vomiting. So, pick one. You can blame Tannehill or Sherman. Not both.
P.S. – I’m guessing the retort for those who want to blame both with be comparisons to Wilson, Luck, Foles, etc. Please remember that two of the three had elite running games. All three have above average to elite coaching. Hell, the one that won the Super Bowl played with possibly the best defense ever with a coaching staff that asked him to do what he does best, hand off the ball, run play action, get him out of the pocket, and let him throw to often wide open receivers. And lastly, ask yourself how those three would have done in Sheman’s offense. Even the great Andrew Luck, the man with an amazing ability to will defenders to drop the passes he throws right to them (Sean Smith is just one of many), and then throw for all kinds of yards when the ones they do catch cause his team to be way behind thus facilitating a prevent defense, would likely have struggled.

How do we know the offense wasn't implemented as a response to the coaches' knowledge of Tannehill's strengths and weaknesses?

It's entirely possible that the offensive system Tannehill was playing in last year, based on his particular strengths and weaknesses, is what gets more out of him than any other offensive system in which he plays in his career. It's entirely possible that any change, whether due to the novelty of the new system, and/or an increase in its sophistication, makes him play worse, not better.

How do we know at this point?

Hey, we're all fans, and we all want to see him play like we want him to, but let's not believe we have a crystal ball here.

Here's the thing.

With Sherman gone. Lazor and Hickey in and Philbin job scared, we honestly have no idea what this organization is truly thinking about Tannehill.

8wiq6p-1.gif

How do we know the offense wasn't implemented as a response to the coaches' knowledge of Tannehill's strengths and weaknesses?

It's entirely possible that the offensive system Tannehill was playing in last year, based on his particular strengths and weaknesses, is what gets more out of him than any other offensive system in which he plays in his career. It's entirely possible that any change, whether due to the novelty of the new system, and/or an increase in its sophistication, makes him play worse, not better.

Hey, we're all fans, and we all want to see him play like we want him to, but let's not believe we have a crystal ball here.

v6i2yf-1.jpg

i3arg4-1.jpg

Well, it does kind of sucks that at this point we're still not sure what we have with Tannehill. did see him improved in some areas but not so much in others(long passes). We need a better running game and better pass protection but we also ed for Tanny to connect on those long passes when he has the chanceand te receiver is open.

Ozzy rules!!

Tannehill had almost 4,000 Yards passing this season yet we still ran that stupid draw play 10 times a game the rarely worked....Playcalling sucked and was too predicable when we ran the ball.....having 3rd and longs all the time make the passing game predictable on 3rd downs too.

Sorry but the offense and play calling had nothing to do with Tannys strengths or weaknesses. The system suffocated him and the team. It lacked creativity and mismatches. I would even say it was Henning-esque and it was an identical offense that Sherman ran with all his other teams and QBs.

Even Tanny lost confidence towards the end of the season. You know things had to be bad for Tanny to say something like that about Sherman, especially with their history. He isn't a highly outspoken dude and when he is, he is rarely negative.

Sorry but the offense and play calling had nothing to do with Tannys strengths or weaknesses.
And you know this how?

The system suffocated him and the team. It lacked creativity and mismatches. I would even say it was Henning-esque and it was an identical offense that Sherman ran with all his other teams and QBs.
And lots of people here complained about Henning's play-calling as stifling Chad Henne, as well. Has the change of scenery done anything for Henne? Was he only better play-calling away from playing any better than he did then?

Whether Tannehill is the real deal or not is still up in the air. One thing is for certain: Sherman's high school offense did him no favors. Whether Sherman ran it because Tannehill couldn't handle more or because Sherman doesn't know anything more remains to be seen. Let's hope it's Sherman's fault.

And you know this how?

Because I watched the games......

And lots of people here complained about Henning's play-calling as stifling Chad Henne, as well. Has the change of scenery done anything for Henne? Was he only better play-calling away from playing any better than he did then?

I didn't complain about Henning stifling Henne, so I can't comment on that. But I can say his offense was vanilla and predictable.....much like Sherman

Back
Top Bottom