Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans

lol it’s pretty sad that the Lakers can’t really win a title without trading or signing top 5 players

I mean I'm a heat fan, but other than the Lakers top 2 who do they have that are considered "top players" either last year or this?

Their 3rd best player is arguably Kuzma, who they drafted

I mean I'm a heat fan, but other than the Lakers top 2 who do they have that are considered "top players" either last year or this?

In the nba 2 top 5 players is more than enough. talent wins way more often than teamwork in the nba. But to digress here, I really think Grant is done with Miami

i thought he was meaning more along the lines of the top reserves. most of their reserves were former starters elsewhere that are somewhat past their prime, but still quality players. They sacrificed money and minutes elsewhere to ring chase.

Sort of what you could see some of the vets doing. Watt could start and make more money with Houston, but why not sign various one year contracts with contenders to be to get the ring. sort of like back in 94 when the fins had like 19 formers 1st round picks on their team.

grant, fedj, hurns to start.

i know it's only $766,000 savings with Hurny, but if you need it, do it.
Easy money right there for all of them

yeah we need grants speed but I’d still cut him now and use Wilson as our slot until we have sure fire upgrades. Bowden can do returns or get some slot run too

(not assuming whoever else we add)

I would not cut Hurns.

He is better then Ford,Bowden and the other outcasts at WR we have.

I would try and trade Jessie Davis for a pick.(maybe Seahawks?)

I dont think Albert Wilson is worth that price tag and I don't think Grant is either.
Hurns is a jag

isn’t Wilson only on the books for like 3 mil after restructuring? That’s chump change imo

From my understanding, Miami will have around $35 million. About $10-12 million is needed for rookies.

That means approximately $23 million to sign free agents.

The Dolphins need a backup quarterback. That might be around $5-6 million. With Tua still learning/developing and having an injured history, I'd look for a real quality backup.

Seasons are derailed quickly if most starting quarterbacks go down.

Obviously, Miami can cut players and structure contracts creativity but we are probably looking at mid-level players.

This year the Dolphins have less than $500K in dead money according to Spotrac. That is considerably less than the last two years.

Only thing in that article that really mattered is those two sentences.

Miami is in GREAT shape for the 2022 and 2023 title runs.

From my understanding, Miami will have around $35 million. About $10-12 million is needed for rookies.

The Dolphins need a backup quarterback. That might be around $5-6 million. With Tua still learning/developing and having an injured history, I'd look for a real quality backup.

Obviously, Miami can cut players and structure contracts creativity but we are probably looking at mid-level players.
I would agree.

There may be an opportunity to get value with a good player on a short term rentalal though.

A lot of FAs are going to have to bide their time for a year, until the cap is more condusive to big contracts.

Last edited:
We are not in a bad situation if they really want to get a player. Give them some this year and a bigger increase next year when the cap is supposedly going to make a big jump back up. I don't see us a big FA player, but more so focusing on the draft.

Agree. I thought the Phins were in decent cap space.

Then, I saw the source. This site is hokum. The author typically puts out 3 or 4 "stories" daily that are nothing but ego-stroking word salad

I would agree.

There may be an opportunity to get value with a good player on a short term rentalal though.

A lot of FAs are goingvto have to bide their time for a year, until the cap is more condusive to big contracts.
Right. Plus, Miami is in better shape than most teams.

Maybe those salary projections are a little high for free agents.

Not quite. Most (all?) teams keep a reserve in case they sign someone after season start - say, $5-8mm. Then signing guys like Sanders/Baker. I'm saying $10mm. One avg FA and they're done. That said, there are games to play in designing contracts.

Easy money right there for all of them

yeah we need grants speed but I’d still cut him now and use Wilson as our slot until we have sure fire upgrades. Bowden can do returns or get some slot run too

(not assuming whoever else we add)

Yup. Until Miami gets a quick/speedy guy, Wilson goes nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom