Carter Is The Best Choice To Replace Gadsden.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carter Is The Best Choice To Replace Gadsden....

I believe Carter would certainly be a better option than the rest of those receivers they brought in. In fact, in retrospect I think Carter is probably a better option than Oronde was.

I've been pretty disappointed actually with Oronde's play this year. He was our 2nd WR in an offense that does not use 3-WR sets that often. This is Norv Turner's offense and we should know what a Norv offense looks like. But there have been some irregularities in the offense ever since the start of the season. The WRs haven't been upholding their load on the whole. Part of the problem was Oronde. In a season in which he should be getting 1000 yards and a good amount of catches with Norv at the helm, he's on pace for 43 catches and 600 yards....and in 6 games he doesn't have a SINGLE touchdown. The man's got talent. The best hands in football without a doubt (but for all that he still has 3 drops on the year). His lack of speed is well-documented but he's got a good feel for zones. I just feel that his talents were not being best utilized as the #2 man in Norv Turner's offense. He could probably go somewhere else and succeed, but I just don't feel like he's going to do it here. I think Norv really needs a guy with more speed to complement Chris Chambers...because Chambers is ready to be featured as a #1 WR possession type guy with game-breaking ability. We need the Albert Connell to this Michael Westbrook.

And if you don't think its Gadsden's fault, his production, the only other possibility is that its Fiedler's fault...

I think its amazing how suddenly Carter is going to sign a one year deal for incredibly cheap midway through the season when he wouldnt before it...talk about riding a team to the superbowl. People say theres no doubt he can play?? uhh he had a pretty poor season last year. I think that our deep passing game will be just as nonexistant with carter as it was with oronde. Even when teams bring a safety up to stop ricky they can still double chambers. With Mcknight on the other side hes got the speed to burn most corners in the league. Remember the play against New England? I think it would really hurt the chemistry of the team if they brought Carter in more because you've got a guy like Mcknight that has been waiting patiently for a chance and has done everything right and you bring in someone new basically telling him they have no faith in his ability? I think our offense will be even more potent with Mcknight and Chambers on the outside than it has been. I think Turner was gonna start experimenting with using Mcknight more even if Gadsden hadnt gotten hurt. He just didnt have much reason to against Denver since they never brought their safeties up.

Originally posted by FlybyWyre
I think its amazing how suddenly Carter is going to sign a one year deal for incredibly cheap midway through the season when he wouldnt before it...talk about riding a team to the superbowl. People say theres no doubt he can play?? uhh he had a pretty poor season last year. I think that our deep passing game will be just as nonexistant with carter as it was with oronde. Even when teams bring a safety up to stop ricky they can still double chambers. With Mcknight on the other side hes got the speed to burn most corners in the league. Remember the play against New England? I think it would really hurt the chemistry of the team if they brought Carter in more because you've got a guy like Mcknight that has been waiting patiently for a chance and has done everything right and you bring in someone new basically telling him they have no faith in his ability? I think our offense will be even more potent with Mcknight and Chambers on the outside than it has been. I think Turner was gonna start experimenting with using Mcknight more even if Gadsden hadnt gotten hurt. He just didnt have much reason to against Denver since they never brought their safeties up.

Ok just to make this short I'll say this for McNight...he's fast, but when was the last time he caught the ball with any consistancy?
Just the threat of speed isn't enough, he's gotta catch the ball.

Mcknight that has been waiting patiently for a chance and has done everything right and you bring in someone new basically telling him they have no faith in his ability?

You're Kidding right? :lol: :lol:

There's a reason they have no faith in him, he can't make the tough catch, hell sometimes he hasn't made the easy catches.

Ok on another thread there's this guy who wants to combine the Bills TEs and thinks that they could have another Tony Gonzalas.

Here's my idea, combine McNights speed with Gadsdens hands and we’ll leave Carter at HBO.

Originally posted by dolfan06
i gotta get used to this, getting rid of OG kinda screws up my thinking about the fins management and i don't care who they sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OG is an average NFL WR, not great, just average. Everyone knew, at least I did, that this was OG's last year here. We are going to have cap problems within the next couple years & can not afford to pay this average $1.5 mill per. Carter would've been a Dolphin all season hadn't OG been hurt during the offseason, preventing us from cutting him.

OG does not have the best hands in the NFL maybe the top 10. A guy named Jerry Rice is still playing, now Cris Carter, Jimmy Smith, Harrison, Keyshawn.

Maybe Carter had a bad 2001. But the entire Viking organization had one as well. Still, he managed to catch 73 passes and 6 TDs.

And I disagree with OG being AVERAGE. That's just completely untrue. Maybe he's having an average season. But there's no way was he an average WR. Arguably the best hands in the league....great route-runner.....great ups....big/strong/1st man never brings him down......great awareness. That doesn't sound average to me. Those are qualities that your average WR simply does not possess.

Greatness in the NFL is measured by your stats, not your attributes. OG may have all the attributes, minus speed, but that doesn't make him great. Look at Jerry Rice, he doesn't possess all of the attributes OG has, but he's having one hell of a year. Then there's Deion Branch, Corey Bradford, Donald Driver, Steve Smith, not the best WRs, but they're having great years too. OG had his chance to be the star after being the #1 WR for two years, & he didn't take advantage of it.

Who's measuring greatness with attributes?? And who said OG was "Great"?? I talked about the things that he did well. Dude, if a guy has great hands, runs superb routes, and has displays solid football awareness.....and exhibits this on the field.....how can be be called "average"??

Shoot, Bob Griese only broke the 2,200 yard barrier TWICE in 14 years (averaged 155 ypg). He only threw 20 more TDs than INTs in his career. Finished with a 77.1 QB rating. His stats are pretty unspectacular. And yet he's considered a great QB. Hall of Fame. Why?? Because he played on some great teams and made some great plays (and won two Super Bowls). But his stats aren't anything special. So that argument (stats) goes right out the window.

The fact is, Gadsden has been a POSSESSION receiver in a very AVERAGERUN FIRST offense with a questionable QB. Kinda hard to be a superstar in that situation.

Also, all those guys you mentioned are very fast WRs. None of them are or have ever been possession WRs.

I'm sorry Muck but I got to agree with the term average. OG had GREAT hands but he had piss poor speed, piss poor seperation ability and average route running.

I knew O.G wasn't going to be with us after this season but heck I didn't think he would be gone before the season was over lol.

And you can't blame the phins on this one. O.G was looking for McKnight money. A 5 year contract for a guy with maybe 2 years left whose missed a lot of games the past 2 seasons.

After the begining of training camp im surprised he didnt go out with an injury to his feet. No matter what anyone says he was a warrior and fought through alot of pain! I think we should let him go for sure, 5 year contract with all his medical problems!! Is his agent shooting for the moon or what??

His agent wanted more then the contract McKnight got. O.G would have been lucky to get the same deal he was currently under with ANY team after this year.

Originally posted by Merman

I understant your point of view but definitely do not agree with it. By definition a contract is an obligation and since the contract isn't posted on the web how do we all know what it says?? After not renewing contracts to two long time pundits do you think HBO really doesn't care that the new hire may leaving in the middle of the season?? Didn't Carter say he was retiring and going to pursue a broadcasting career?? Of course he can probably get out of his contract and aford to pay any penalty but it still doesn't make it right.

I don't think your making much sense Merman. If a job came along that you LOVED and always wanted, you'd be wrong for leaving your current gig and following your dream? Especially if you let your current job know that the aforementioned scenario is very possible and put it into your contract. PLEASE! You'd leave too, period! It's not HBO's life and dreams, it's Chris Carter's. He has an obligation to himself first and only to himself.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
His agent wanted more then the contract McKnight got. O.G would have been lucky to get the same deal he was currently under with ANY team after this year.

I think OG made a mistake with his choice in agents. This guy dosen't rep anyone else in the league as far as I know and it seems he's no better in negotiations than Ricky William's Ex rap artist/agent!

Originally posted by Merman
No Muck your tone is not mocking at all and I agree the crew at HBO could care less. But management might. Is a career at UPS and the local bowling alley in the same league as a broadcasting career with one of the premier football shows?? Looks like we are just going to have to agree we disagree. :)

If you're going to debate whether Carters actions are right or wrong, than no, there is no difference between a carer in broadcasting, and a career at UPS. The issue here isn't how much Carter was making at HBO, versus how much a UPS guy makes, the issue is how your actions impact those you've signed a contract with. If a guy is working for UPS and tells them he needs to quit with no notice because he's going into the NFL, that's going to cause a serious hardship for the people who hired him. How much of a hardship is HBO going to suffer if Chris Carter goes back into the game? Does anybody actually tune in to the show because of Carter alone? If Carter gets a ring with the Phins, doesn't his future value to HBO go up? Right and wrong isn't about money here. And if you see no problem with a guy leaving UPS in the lurch, I don't see how you can fault Carter when it's apparent that HBO had already accounted for this possibility. Understand,I'm not a big Carter fan, I just don't see this as a valid reason for questioning his ethics.

When I wrote not being in the same league I was in a rush to answer Muck because I had to leave. As for leaving UPS being more of a hardship than HBO, my opinion is exactly the opposite. Finding a truck driver or loader who does not sign a contract or has to give notice is a major difference than agreeing to a commitment with HBO. The new cast for Inside the NFL leaves much to be desired and Carter is a much better WR than TV personality. The show would be much better off if they hired Jimmy Johnson imo. :) With this aside if (apparently) HBO agreed to a contract with no penalty for leaving early then there is no questioning Carter's ethics. Just the same as leaving a job where notice is only good custom rather than some stipulation written into an employment agreement.

From the Miami Herald this morning:

"An HBO official said the network supported his choice."

Obviously no problem for HBO or with me. Here's hoping he catches nothing but first downs and TDs.

Back
Top Bottom