Catch a falling star. . . | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Catch a falling star. . .

If they're there when we pick, who would you draft?

• Shawn Andrews, G/T, Arkansas

Votes: 38 44.7%
  • Phillip Rivers, QB, NC State

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Mike Williams, WR, USC

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Vince Wilfork, DT, University of Miami

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Jonathan Vilma, LB, University of Miami

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jake Grove, C/OG, Virginia Tech

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Pope Shula XIV

EDDSified!
Reaction score
For weeks now I've been hoping...ok, praying, that Shawn Andrews will fall to the Miami Dolphins. The guy is just a mauler that could bulldoze some nice big holes for Ricky. But from what I'm hearing, Miami may opt to go with the best player available.

Last year I remember several highly rated offensive linemen slipping down to the latter part of the 1st round (Kwame Harris and Eric Steinbach). Others in previous years such as Thurman Thomas, Warren Sapp, and of course, Randy Moss had drastic draft day slides, and those guys turned out to be not too shabby.
I still really like Shawn Andrews as our #1 if he's there. But here are some others that, with a little luck, might be there:

Mike Williams, WR, USC -- Ok, this guy probably won't make it past the Buccaneers. But weirder things have happened on draft day. What happens if he is still on the board when Miami picks? How do you pass on a 6'5 230 lb. playmaking WR??

Vince Wilfork, DT, U of M -- Again, this guy will probably be gone by the 10-14 pick. But what if a rumor pops up the way they do around draft day? This guy is a stud. He can clog the middle a la Bowens & Chester, but can get into the backfield really quick, something we've lacked in our defensive tackles -- a pass rusher.

Jonathan Vilma, LB, U of M -- Some say that this guy is the best pure football player in the draft...great speed and instincts, but just a little undersized. Could end up being another Ray Lewis or Derrick Brooks. But with all our shortcomings on offense, we can't keep taking linebackers with our first picks. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if we landed him.

and here are some guys that I just really like...

Jake Grove, C/G, Virginia Tech -- I know. This guy is projected as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. I just really love what I know about this guy. Nasty, Nasty, Nasty. I don't care if centers aren't usually picked in the first round. This guy could be the leader on the o-line that we've lacked for years.

Justin Smiley, G, Alabama -- Tough, Athletic, Nasty...What's not to like???

Stuart Schweigert, S, Purdue -- Another playmaker. I'm not sold on Arturo Freeman, so this guy could be a difference maker in the secondary.

Any thoughts?? Let me know who you guys would like to see wearing the Aqua and Coral next year.

I would like to take a WR but i dont like any of the ones you have up there left, so id take the BPA at this point and draft QB P.Rivers

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mike Williams falls, this team must take him.

Beyond that, I think the list goes:

Andrews
Rivers
Wilfork
Vilma
Grove
Evans (sorry, Evans fans -- the more I hear about Grove, the more it makes sense to me -- he might be just below Rivers by the time the draft happens in my book)

I'd definately like Andrews....he can be a run-blocking monster at RT this year if Macintosh isnt healthy and can move to guard next yr when he is...giving us a solid o-line for years to come.

Yeah, I like all three of the guys you've all mentioned....Andrews, Rivers and Williams are all damn good football players. That would be an extremely tough choice. I'd go with Andrews slightly ahead of Rivers...maybe...damn that's a tough one.

Phillip Rivers is the best player on that board, so thats who I'd take.

Mike Williams, WR, USC -- Ok, this guy probably won't make it past the Buccaneers. But weirder things have happened on draft day. What happens if he is still on the board when Miami picks? How do you pass on a 6'5 230 lb. playmaking WR??

Vince Wilfork, DT, U of M -- Again, this guy will probably be gone by the 10-14 pick. But what if a rumor pops up the way they do around draft day? This guy is a stud. He can clog the middle a la Bowens & Chester, but can get into the backfield really quick, something we've lacked in our defensive tackles -- a pass rusher.

Jonathan Vilma, LB, U of M -- Some say that this guy is the best pure football player in the draft...great speed and instincts, but just a little undersized. Could end up being another Ray Lewis or Derrick Brooks. But with all our shortcomings on offense, we can't keep taking linebackers with our first picks. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if we landed him.

Jake Grove, C/G, Virginia Tech -- I know. This guy is projected as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. I just really love what I know about this guy. Nasty, Nasty, Nasty. I don't care if centers aren't usually picked in the first round. This guy could be the leader on the o-line that we've lacked for years.

Justin Smiley, G, Alabama -- Tough, Athletic, Nasty...What's not to like???

Stuart Schweigert, S, Purdue -- Another playmaker. I'm not sold on Arturo Freeman, so this guy could be a difference maker in the secondary.

Any thoughts?? Let me know who you guys would like to see wearing the Aqua and Coral next year.

On Andrews: I have issues with players who lack motivation and weight. Thats simple BS that should be fixed but if money wont motivate him to fix it then im not so sure any coach will. And hes cost himself about 8-10 spots it seemsAlso not the best pass blocker.

On Williams: His 4.56/4.62 didnt do him any wonders even if it was into the wind and on a slow track. His 4.3 short shuttle was pretty pedestrian/DE speed but he probably didnt cost himself much though IMO.

On Wilfork: Id love it if he fell cause even though Timbo is one of my fave fins for the way he sacrifices himself and just stays a roadblock vs the run hes had thoughts of retiring for 2 years now. The end isnt far off unfortunately.

On Vilma: I agree hes got the best instincts in the draft. If there was more of a demand for a MLB he'd be going higher. He's just a baller.

Grove: Id love to move down 2-3 slots let dallas or someone jump up and grab a player pick up an extra pick and grab him. Nasty, highly skilled as both a run and pass blocker and he'd allow us to move mckinney to RG and compete with whitley/yates. Id feel pretty comfortable with Grove starting as a rookie at a key spot like center.

Smiley: If we had a #2 id say fine but i hate taking a pure guard in rd 1 when they usually slip into rd 2/3 at a 1st rd talent level. Also maybe a combine player as he was a 3rd-4th rounder in many eyes pre-combine.

Schweigart: No! Just dont draft him. There are better safeties available (Meadieu williams and the guy from ASU who i cant remember his name right now). Plus hes a SS not FS so if youre concerned bout freeman he doesnt fit the bill.

I also love rivers. That dude just knows the game and knows how to read plays.

Twinkle,Twinkle little star at #20 i wonder who you are???:couch2:

I would love either Andrews or Grove. If the pick is Andrews and they move him to right guard.... the best analogy I have heard for this is you are using a cannon to kill a mosquito. This guy will just be blowing up LB's and well anything that gets in Ricky's way. But I chose Grove I think this guy is a rare throwback type player that has a toughness that you just dont see often. This is the type of guy that will be very good for a very long time and plays the game with a passion......that passion being to cause injury to the ENTIRE other team.

All things the same I'd take Rivers cos great QB's are hard to come by.The other 2 on that list that I like are Wilfork and Williams but we have CC and Boston already and not enough footballs to go around for those 3 guys plus Randay and then Ricky too.Soooooooo, I'd take Rivers with Wilfork a close 2nd. I'm scare of taking Andrews as he could be boom or bust and I don't think he'll control his weight. I hope I'm wrong if we get him but I'm not sold on him and I like Smiley better.

Ozzy rules!!

Andrews. Then Wilfolk. Then Mike Williams.

Back
Top Bottom