catch omar jacobs agian... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

catch omar jacobs agian...

ckparrothead said:
Dan Marino would look at Jacobs throw and see himself in the guy.

I don't mean to be the critical one here because I have not seen this guy play much other than highlights and a few plays from the game BUT how can you make this comment? You are talking about one of the best ever QB's to EVER play in the NFL and you are saying this college kid from a small school looks like him? Are you serious? You seem passionate about him being good which is your opinion BUT come on - I think you went over board a bit - or ALOT!

My initial reaction to who he reminds me of is Bernie Kosar. He has the same side arm release. The problem with this is you have the issue of batted balls - keep in mind the NFL is much different than college and the DL will defend against this type of throw. Marino threw over the top - how could this guy remind him of himself? To me they look total opposite. My vote is Kosar BUT at least Bernie went to a big time college and had a good career. This guy is very far from being a NFL QB IMO.

djfresh47 said:
I think people get caught up in his statistics, and I don't like him at all as a prospect. He's good and will be a very high pick, but i'll pass, if I want a Qb with a bad throwing motion i'll take Vince Young, who is the best athelete in college football, but since he doesn't put up the same stats as Jacobs, everyone considers him to be a bad passer.

The thing is, not only does Young not have stats in the same leauge as Jacobs, they are really not that good for a top notch QB either. He just hasn't showing it as a passer yet, and I really hope he does, because that would make him one sick QB.

His release isn't really sidearm unless he is running from pressure, its more 3/4 than anything, and shouldn't be a large or unfixable issue. Youngs release is much more Kosar like than Jacobs.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/sfl-omarjacobs03sep03,0,5182276.story?coll=tf-main-sports

There is an article that talks about his release and he tells how he got it

Jacobs will be a great QB one day

Always a pleasure to read your stuff CK.

One thing to remeber about Miami passers is this: San Diego have a big decision to make at the end of the year because either Drew Brees or Phil Rivers is gone. Plus it's a great year at DT where we need help, so you just never know. Plus if Ricky has a big year, he becomes our x factor chip should Nick decide to cash him in.

djfresh47 said:
I think people get caught up in his statistics, and I don't like him at all as a prospect. He's good and will be a very high pick, but i'll pass, if I want a Qb with a bad throwing motion i'll take Vince Young, who is the best athelete in college football, but since he doesn't put up the same stats as Jacobs, everyone considers him to be a bad passer.

OK, just keep in mind you would have passed on Dan Marino too

ckparrothead said:
Yeah I'm sure there's lots of REASONS why everyone around Jacobs sucked, but I mean they did suck. The OL let guys get to Jacobs pretty easily, the WRs were not getting much separation except deep, and in tight coverage Jacobs was putting the ball on the money and suffering drops.

Jacobs is going to be like Daunte Culpepper. It will definitely take some development. He needs to learn to take snaps under center, of course, but that's not really that big a hurdle.

CK -

What the guys physical stats? Height? wonder if taking it under center, and dropping back, does he have size to help see over the line vs. starting in shotgun and already being several yards back before the D fills the lane to spot the receiver?

Just wondering.

P.S. I too could care less what his throwing motion is. If he plays good competition and completes passes and has velocity and accuracy thats the bottom line.

Kosar looked ugly.....Marino had strange push motion....Listen, he could stand on his head if he wanted...as long as the ball gets to the spot he needs it to be to complete the pass to his receiver vs. the Defender for a pick six...thats a winner in my book.

Boomer said:

One thing to remeber about Miami passers is this: San Diego have a big decision to make at the end of the year because either Drew Brees or Phil Rivers is gone. Plus it's a great year at DT where we need help, so you just never know. Plus if Ricky has a big year, he becomes our x factor chip should Nick decide to cash him in.

Boomer -

good to hear from you......those are interesting issues (good ones to have) about options next year.

How would you rate/rank Leinart, Jacobs, Brees, or Rivers and which fits Saban's style better?

Dolphins_SR66 said:
CK -

What the guys physical stats? Height? wonder if taking it under center, and dropping back, does he have size to help see over the line vs. starting in shotgun and already being several yards back before the D fills the lane to spot the receiver?

6-5 225, more than adequet size. He has taken snaps from under center its just not shown alot in game situations, I saw it during the spring game but it was more for backup Anthony Turner who is another stud but more in the dual threat mold. He most of his passes that are thrown from in the pocket come out with more than high enough, his elbow drops the most throwing evading pressure.

saves said:
6-5 225, more than adequet size. He has taken snaps from under center its just not shown alot in game situations. He most of his passes that are thrown from in the pocket come out with more than high enough, his elbow drops the most throwing evading pressure.

thanks....cool.

Boomer said:

Thank you Boomer. Yeah I know the San Diego thing will play out and people will talk about that for Miami but honestly I don't see either San Diego QB as a fit in Scott Linehan's system. He likes a big quarterback with a big arm getting that ball off deep on a consistent basis. Saban may like Rivers or Brees but neither of them will have Linehan's backing.

What we should keep an eye on is sort of a mini-San Diego situation playing out in Washington. It's obvious that Brunell is out, but Ramsey is their starter, while Campbell is their future. Ramsey, unlike Brees or Rivers, does have that bigtime arm that Scott Linehan craves. If you ask me, I think that Miami is paying more attention to Ramsey than to Brees/Rivers.

I don't mean to be the critical one here because I have not seen this guy play much other than highlights and a few plays from the game BUT how can you make this comment? You are talking about one of the best ever QB's to EVER play in the NFL and you are saying this college kid from a small school looks like him? Are you serious? You seem passionate about him being good which is your opinion BUT come on - I think you went over board a bit - or ALOT!

My initial reaction to who he reminds me of is Bernie Kosar. He has the same side arm release. The problem with this is you have the issue of batted balls - keep in mind the NFL is much different than college and the DL will defend against this type of throw. Marino threw over the top - how could this guy remind him of himself? To me they look total opposite. My vote is Kosar BUT at least Bernie went to a big time college and had a good career. This guy is very far from being a NFL QB IMO.

When I say that Marino would see a lot of himself in Omar, I mean that Omar is tall, big, has a BULLET throw with a hairpin trigger release, a gunslinger's mentality, and most importantly he has a 3/4 release just like Marino did coming out of college. Remember, Marino coming out of college his pass motion was also questioned because it was VERY much like Jacobs is, 3/4 delivery sometimes almost looking sidearm. People said Marino was a ball "pusher" not a ball "thrower" and that is what Jacobs is facing.

The Bernie Kosar comparison is not accurate and I will give you a few reasons. One, is Jacobs' throwing motion is not as severe as Kosar's use to be, nor is it as severe as Phil Rivers' motion is. Second, Bernie Kosar could not throw as far as Omar Jacobs could if he got on steroid and then attached a rocket to his elbow. Kosar did not have much velocity on his passes, where Jacobs easily gets as much velocity on his passes as the strongest throwers in the NFL of today and yesteryear. Phil Rivers is Bernie Kosar incarnate, Omar Jacobs is Dan Marino incarnate. No, I'm not saying Rivers will have a career as fruitful as Bernie's nor that Omar will have one like Dan's, but those are the guys they compare to.

Leinart is head and shoulders the best. Linehan likes to air it deep, but he also likes to run the ball. He likes a manager. Leinart would be 1, 1A and 2. Then the rest. Brees has to show he can do it 2 years running, then do SD give him the big deal and trade Rivers or do they keep Rivers and take into consideration the cash saved and Brees' age. After all, they drafted Rivers for a reason.

Jacobs has a lot of work to do, but could be very good.

Pat Ramsey, like CK says could be Miami's future because Campbell is Gibbs' guy.

ckparrothead said:
OK, just keep in mind you would have passed on Dan Marino too

That's where I disagree, I think Jacobs motion is nothing like Marinos.

djfresh47 said:
That's where I disagree, I think Jacobs motion is nothing like Marinos.

I think you're not taking into account that Marino's throwing motion coming out of college was not quite the same as it was later in his career. He tweaked it a little bit in the pros, and I think he was forced into more over the top stuff by the weakness in his legs.

Boomer said:
Leinart is head and shoulders the best. Linehan likes to air it deep, but he also likes to run the ball. He likes a manager. Leinart would be 1, 1A and 2. Then the rest. Brees has to show he can do it 2 years running, then do SD give him the big deal and trade Rivers or do they keep Rivers and take into consideration the cash saved and Brees' age. After all, they drafted Rivers for a reason.

Pat Ramsey, like CK says could be Miami's future because Campbell is Gibbs' guy.

Honestly, looking at pure talent, I'm taking Omar Jacobs above Matt Leinart. But, Leinart does have the savvy and the game management. If we're picking at the very top and as Boomer says the QB draft shakes out where Leinart is the lone top ten type QB with Jacobs going somewhere else (I don't think that's true, I think Jacobs will end up in the top ten as well), then I'm trying to trade down to get Jacobs.

I do just seriously have a problem with getting Matt Leinart after seeing Omar Jacobs play. It feels like settling on a safer pick. I think the fact that Linehan likes to run the ball is really only something that would help Jacobs, because he has been at his best in Bowling Green when that running back of his I think PJ Pope or something has been healthy and rushing for 1000 yards or so. Clearly he couldn't keep up the shootout against Wisconsin once that RB pulled up injured...I mean Jacobs still put up 6 touchdowns with a 7th in the bag at the very end of the game, but with that RB there he may have been able to pull off the win.

Boomer said:

Patrick Ramsey would be great. Linehan would air it non-stop with him here. The better reason for getting Ramsey however is so that we can draft Eric Winston...

Back
Top Bottom