catch omar jacobs agian... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

catch omar jacobs agian...

ckparrothead said:
I like how people criticize a guy with an unorthodox throwing motion just for the motion and not for what it represents. You know why people talk about throwing motion? Because normally, a good healthy throwing motion is viewed as a tool to get the maximum velocity, maximum accuracy, minimum release time, minimum chance of batted balls, etc. What I'm viewing right now from Omar Jacobs is a guy with a 3/4 delivery who is able to whip it 100 mph down the field and can throw the ball 50 yards on a rope with hardly any wind-up and who has a very quick release, and has yet to get a ball batted down. His throws don't come out low and pickable like they said Phil Rivers' throws did. So what, exactly, is the problem here? Dan Marino would look at Jacobs throw and see himself in the guy. Chris Spielman basically only got one opportunity all game to bring up Jacobs' 3/4 delivery as a possible negative, because Jacobs just does not have many errant throws. He overthrew one guy and Spielman said this is the first time Jacobs has thrown a bad ball overthrown to where you can say maybe his 3/4 delivery is hurting him.

His receivers are not getting very much separation and his throws are extremely accurate on every NFL type throw he is making. He throws the slant, and the ball is in front of the WR away from the defender. He throws the crossing pattern, the ball is on the front shoulder of the WR so he can continue to run. He throws down the field, the ball is high so his WR can use athletic ability to go up and get the ball, or if the guy has gotten behind his defenders the ball is dropping to him perfectly on the run. The one thing I've been looking for is for Jacobs to check down his options, but that is hard to tell. On his last TD pass of the first half it certainly seemed like he checked down, but you never know. Best part? I haven't even seen the guy run yet! Not once! According to his stats last year, he had an average of about 8 runs a game. If I'm watching just this game, I'm taking away the impression of Omar Jacobs as a guy like Byron Leftwich who is purely a pocket passer.

One thing that undoubtedly took the wind out of Bowling Green's sails was how Wisconsin was able to jam the ball down their throats on a consistent basis, eating up clock AND scoring points basically at will. They put Bowling Green's offense behind the eight ball on numerous occasions, and on most of them Jacobs came through for them. There was no reason Jacobs should have been able to keep that game tied 35-35 at halftime by the way Wisconsin was playing. Jacobs took his team 80 yards down the field for a touchdown in only 37 seconds to tie it up.

The way Wisconsin is jamming this ball...I don't see many teams out there that would keep up against this beating. I'd like to see Matt Leinart keep even the talented USC offense going if his defense decided to lay down like this against Brian Calhoun and the Wisconsin running offense.

I did not come away from watching this game thinking the Bowling Green team was anything but supported 100% by the talent of Omar Jacobs. I have yet to see the offensive line give Jacobs a clean pocket at all. I have not seen a whole lot of separation from their wide receivers and I have seen a number of drops from them. And their defense, my god to get run all over like that without making adjustments...this is not a good team. Jacobs will keep them in there.

The shotgun thing, I really don't see any problems with Jacobs learning to play under center. I actually think it will help him a lot when he does learn to take snaps from under center. He'll have the benefit of a pocket forming the right way, where in the shotgun it is collapsing quickly. This guy is the real deal. After reading KB21's observations of Jacobs I was expecting to see a guy with marginal talent that was benefitting from a wide open offense. Nothing could be further from the truth. This wide open offense is only working because of him.

Great post:D , I totally agree IMO Jacobs is a much better pro prospect than Leinart. I'd like to see Leinart at BG :lol: he get exposed bad :rofl3: IMO. By the way I was pro Leinart for da Phins next year period. But the more I looked at Jacobs the it became obvious that he is a stud QB on a weak very team :shakeno: , Man BG is just crap, but Jacobs is so good that he makes that crap BG team almost look decent (but BG is still crap). Jacobs can lift the crappy team to another level, few QBs have that special something - and he's got it :) . Of course I'm like him to protect the ball better when he moves (no fumbles please) and throw the ball when OL breaks down (take no sacks please), but that crappy BG OL just sucks, oh well. Oh ya maybe get a better hair cut, just kidding :lol: .

Boomer said:
Leinart is head and shoulders the best. Linehan likes to air it deep, but he also likes to run the ball. He likes a manager. Leinart would be 1, 1A and 2. Then the rest. Brees has to show he can do it 2 years running, then do SD give him the big deal and trade Rivers or do they keep Rivers and take into consideration the cash saved and Brees' age. After all, they drafted Rivers for a reason.

Jacobs has a lot of work to do, but could be very good.

Pat Ramsey, like CK says could be Miami's future because Campbell is Gibbs' guy.

You have got to the kidding :lol: , put Leinart at BG and he'd be exposed :D . Put Jacobs on a good team like FSU, oh my God that just is'nt fair :eek:

Leinart has too much talent on his team. Put him with another team and dude will suck bad. I hate it when these so called QB's get overrated just because they are on a good team. Hell , their recievers are always wide open, he rarely has to make a clutch throw.

Plus that crap he pulled off last year of staying at USC further tells me that he's not NFL ready. He will be Ryan Leaf the sequeal.

finsrule84 said:
i wouldn't, but i would sacrifice a few draft picks

And Ricky Williams?

Boomer's got a great point, Ricky is the X factor here. If he has a 1000 yard season despite only playing in 12 games, and he gets through the year ok and looks like his old self, man some team will bite and give us some more ammunition needed to jump up and get our man.

You know what's messed up? Right now Ricky is the closest thing to a leader we have on offense. Saban was asked if he had picked an offensive and a defensive captain yet. Think about it, on defense Zach, Jason, Kevin Carter, Junior Seau, they could all be captains. On offense, who would be a captain? Randy McMike? Nope, too loud. Chris Chambers? Nope, too quiet. Our quarterbacks? No, we don't even know which one will go in from one series to the next. Someone on the offensive line? Like WHO? Ricky Williams is the CLOSEST thing we have to an offensive captain and THAT is messed up.

BTW Jaj, after seeing Vernon Carey play LT, I can honestly say Miami has no reason to draft Eric Winston...unless they decide to put Winston in at RT (possible). Boomer has a good point, this draft supposed to be good at DT and if Miami decides they need to get Keith Traylor's successor now, they might just up and do it.

ckparrothead said:
Ricky Williams is the CLOSEST thing we have to an offensive captain and THAT is messed up.

That is messed up......say's alot about our O! Man I hope for the best!

ckparrothead said:
And Ricky Williams?

Boomer's got a great point, Ricky is the X factor here. If he has a 1000 yard season despite only playing in 12 games, and he gets through the year ok and looks like his old self, man some team will bite and give us some more ammunition needed to jump up and get our man.

You know what's messed up? Right now Ricky is the closest thing to a leader we have on offense. Saban was asked if he had picked an offensive and a defensive captain yet. Think about it, on defense Zach, Jason, Kevin Carter, Junior Seau, they could all be captains. On offense, who would be a captain? Randy McMike? Nope, too loud. Chris Chambers? Nope, too quiet. Our quarterbacks? No, we don't even know which one will go in from one series to the next. Someone on the offensive line? Like WHO? Ricky Williams is the CLOSEST thing we have to an offensive captain and THAT is messed up.

BTW Jaj, after seeing Vernon Carey play LT, I can honestly say Miami has no reason to draft Eric Winston...unless they decide to put Winston in at RT (possible). Boomer has a good point, this draft supposed to be good at DT and if Miami decides they need to get Keith Traylor's successor now, they might just up and do it.

Yes but CK how long is McIntosh going to be here? Eric Winston last year would have gone #2 overall quite possibly to us had he been healthy. Carey is very versatile and can play numerous positions. Winston is a premiere LT. You can't just ignore that.

However, I'm also on the Omar Jacobs bandwagon already...

Brown or Ricky said:
Leinart has too much talent on his team. Put him with another team and dude will suck bad. I hate it when these so called QB's get overrated just because they are on a good team. Hell , their recievers are always wide open, he rarely has to make a clutch throw.

Plus that crap he pulled off last year of staying at USC further tells me that he's not NFL ready. He will be Ryan Leaf the sequeal.

I think this is garbage. What crap did he pull? Went back for his Sr year? Leinart is on the most talented team in the country, and he won the heisman as the best player in college football last year, won 2 national championships, has a great chance at 3, what does he have to do to impress? He throws to the open reciever too, that's a horrible thing for any Qb to do. I believe his top 3 wideouts left before last season, and he still won the heisman. I don't see any similarities in Ryan Leaf and Leinart.

I think Leinart will go before Jacobs but I agree that Jacobs from a physical standpoint has much more going for him than Leinart. I don't think Lienart is as slam dunk great QB in the NFL that many seem to think. It will be interesting to see how both him and Jacobs develop in the league.

twohype said:
Great post:D , I totally agree IMO Jacobs is a much better pro prospect than Leinart. I'd like to see Leinart at BG :lol: he get exposed bad :rofl3: IMO. By the way I was pro Leinart for da Phins next year period. But the more I looked at Jacobs the it became obvious that he is a stud QB on a weak very team :shakeno: , Man BG is just crap, but Jacobs is so good that he makes that crap BG team almost look decent (but BG is still crap). Jacobs can lift the crappy team to another level, few QBs have that special something - and he's got it :) . Of course I'm like him to protect the ball better when he moves (no fumbles please) and throw the ball when OL breaks down (take no sacks please), but that crappy BG OL just sucks, oh well. Oh ya maybe get a better hair cut, just kidding :lol: .

I feel the need to defend BG right here. The team is a very talented MAC team, perhaps the most talented in the division. Defensivly they are weak, but when you put up 40 or 50 points a game you don't expect the defense to give up 51. The offensive line was amazing last year, and with 3 new starters this year needs time to gel, but you have to realize Wisconson was sending 6 and 7 guys at time, and when the pressure started to get through Pope was out of the game so they were using more 5 wide sets to compensate. You have to realize sans one dropped ball in the endzone this would have been a completely different ball game. This team hung with Wisconson, and had the best showing of any MAC school this past weekend vrs. solid opposition. The talent is only improving here, their success is getting them better and better recruits and BG should hang around as being one of the MAC's premier teams for years to come. Heads up for when Omar is gone, Anthony Turner was a highly prized recruit choosing BG over West Virginia. More of a runner, but players say he has an even stronger arm. If he has half the accuracy of Omar we are in good shape for the future.

Jaj said:
Yes but CK how long is McIntosh going to be here? Eric Winston last year would have gone #2 overall quite possibly to us had he been healthy. Carey is very versatile and can play numerous positions. Winston is a premiere LT. You can't just ignore that.

However, I'm also on the Omar Jacobs bandwagon already...

IMO, Carey is a premier LT waiting to happen same as Winston except maybe without the same run blocking prowess. Carey is an absolute technician at LT. He would be an excellent left tackle, IMO.

Winston might fit better at RT. I just honestly don't see a NEED to draft him. If there's someone else we need who is very talented (like Omar Jacobs) I'm sayin we go ahead and get him. If it is obvious that Eric Winston is the most talented player available then I don't have a problem taking him, but keep in mind that Carey does not seem like the same player at RT as he is at LT. I like good tackles, I try not to plug one in one spot and then draft the other at the other spot because you're counting on too much I think, but if we were to get Winston, I'd put him at RT until it's obvious we need him at LT and Carey can play RT.

Winston didn't exactly impress me yesterday. He struggled when he was matched up one-on-one with the DE. Maybe it's the rust after coming off an injury. He did however do well in run blocking. We'll see if he gets better as the year goes on, but as of right now, there's a few tackles (McNeil, Ferguson, Scott) I would take over him.

Gonk said:
Yeah, Jacobs looks amazing...

In other news, Wisconsin has the ugliest helmets ever

I actually sent an e-mail to the Wisconsin Athletic Department telling them how horrible their helmets looked....the webmaster wrote me back and said the helmet was just a throwback helmet....they are auctioning off the helmets and jerseys from the Wisconsin-Bowling Green game.

As far as Omar Jacobs...he has great mobility and athleticism...kind of like a bigger Michael Vick with not quite as much speed, but Jacobs has to work on how he delivers the ball and not side arm it. I still think he would be a nice fit for the Fins if we cant get Leinart. :)

Roman529 said:
As far as Omar Jacobs...he has great mobility and athleticism...kind of like a bigger Michael Vick with not quite as much speed, but Jacobs has to work on how he delivers the ball and not side arm it. I still think he would be a nice fit for the Fins if we cant get Leinart. :)

Honestly he is only a 4.6 guy at best I would think. Hes a long way from Michael Vick.

Back
Top Bottom