Chan Gaileys’s offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gaileys’s offense

mia4ever

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it worth revisit a couple of old articles on Chan’s offense

Last edited:
I wanted one of the beat reporters to ask how much input Gailey had on the draft. Either way, we did the right thing.

As a general idea, I think it’s a major mistake to draft a guy to match some coordinator. That’s how you end up taking Charles Harris over TJ Watt. That’s not to say the coordinator isn’t involved. But the GM and his scouts should draft the best football players, particularly with the right mentality (motor, playing with an edge, smart etc) and I assure you that you will be better in the long run. You can always adapt to good players as a coaching staff. But you will never go anywhere with crap players.

If you have to take the L on picking Harris, you have to at least learn what went wrong so you don’t make that mistake again.

I wanted one of the beat reporters to ask how much input Gailey had on the draft. Either way, we did the right thing.

As a general idea, I think it’s a major mistake to draft a guy to match some coordinator, which may just be a fleeting moment. That’s how you end up taking Charles Harris over TJ Watt. Draft the best football players, particularly with the right mentality (motor, playing with an edge) and I assure you that you will be better in the long run. You can always adapt to good players as a coaching staff. But you will never go anywhere with crap players.

If you have to take the L on picking Harris, you have to at least learn what went wrong so you don’t make that mistake again.
I'll bet CHAN had very little input on the the draft. Maybe on the 7th round pick, 'what can you do with..."? MHO of course.

Old time old fashion football. Running the ball down your throat and having a quality defense on the other side of the ball. Common sense football. It’s called controlling the clock

That's pretty much exactly the opposite of what Gailey has done so far. He spreads the defenses horizontally with multiple receiver sets.

Think Flores has some ideas on how he wants the O to run, especially now that they will adapt at times to suit Tua's strong points.
Gailey seems like he looks at the skill sets of the players he has and adapts the best to suit them.
With the draft especially Hunt and Kindley two road grading maulers I think far more emphasis will be put on the run if one or both can step up early to start which would also take the pressure off Tua and lesson the chance of him receiving a lot of hits early in his career.
Don't know a lot about Flowers and Karras, are they good run blockers?

As a general idea, I think it’s a major mistake to draft a guy to match some coordinator. That’s how you end up taking Charles Harris over TJ Watt. That’s not to say the coordinator isn’t involved. But the GM and his scouts should draft the best football players, particularly with the right mentality (motor, playing with an edge, smart etc) and I assure you that you will be better in the long run. You can always adapt to good players as a coaching staff. But you will never go anywhere with crap players.

If Chris Grier drafted Charles Harris to match Matt Burke, he nailed the pick.

That's pretty much exactly the opposite of what Gailey has done so far. He spreads the defenses horizontally with multiple receiver sets.
Have you actually taken the time to look back at the teams for which he was OC?

I have, going back to his Denver, Dallas, Pit, etc teams.

What you said is not accurate.

He has had both run heavy, man scheme smash mouth teams, as well as primarily spread teams. Sometimes in the same, or consecutive years.

He is no "one trick pony", despite the media/poster narrative.

I'm not, necessarily, a huge fan of the hire, but don't let what he did as HC limit your view of Chan. His history says he runs what the HC wants (Pittsburgh), or whatever he thinks is best for the specific players he has (Dallas/Denver).

Just basing how we drafted I see a commitment to a run game. Big strong men playing inside to move people.

Once the run game gets going so does PA passing. Then when Tua hits the ground running we'll see RPO take off and we will see explosive plays.

Have you actually taken the time to look back at the teams for which he was OC?

I have, going back to his Denver, Dallas, Pit, etc teams.

What you said is not accurate.

He has had both run heavy, man scheme smash mouth teams, as well as primarily spread teams. Sometimes in the same, or consecutive years.

He is no "one trick pony", despite the media/poster narrative.

I'm not, necessarily, a huge fan of the hire, but don't let what he did as HC limit your view of Chan. His history says he runs what the HC wants (Pittsburgh), or whatever he thinks is best for the specific players he has (Dallas/Denver).
One year with Fitzpatrick his offense had 2 1K WRs and a 1K RB....

Free agency and the draft are the clues. Physical vs the run, improved pass russ and press coverage on D. Power, smash mouth football on O. Leadership and high character on both sides of the ball

Back
Top Bottom