Chargers Also Had Minkah Ahead Of Derwin And Edmunds... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chargers Also Had Minkah Ahead Of Derwin And Edmunds...

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Reaction score
A fun little article that offers insight into a draft room and how things are so fluid on draft day. I also thought it was interesting that NFL teams have a pretty good idea of what positions teams will be selecting based on their needs, contracts, and suspensions. New England had a deal with the Chargers to move down if Taven Bryan had fell to 31. Kind of glad he didn't so they didn't get even more draft ammunition next year.

The part that will be of most interest to Dolphins fans is that they also had Minkah ahead of Derwin and Edmunds. The Chargers had Edmunds ahead of Derwin as well.

Roquan Smith was number one on their board. Odds of Smith falling to 17 were about as good as you or I winning the lottery. Slimmer than slim. If Minkah Fitzpatrick slid, the team supposedly was interested in going up and getting him. Fitzpatrick did just that. Four quarterbacks going in the top 10 pushed him down. Fitzpatrick ended up going to the Dolphins at pick 11. If he would’ve fell to 15, things would’ve gotten very interesting.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2018/4/30/17300346/los-angeles-chargers-surprises-2018-nfl-draft

Suck it, Chargers! Most overrated franchise in the league, year after year.

Yes. Minkah was generally ranked higher than both Derwin James and Tremaine Edmunds.

He was just behind Chubb, Barkley and Nelson on most boards (excluding any QBs).

You're missing the point. What you're referencing is Twitter dudes with their boards. This is information coming directly from inside a team's draft room. That's the part that's interesting to me.

San Francisco had Derwin higher than Minkah and Edmunds. This kind of inside information is the stuff I like to see, not where Matt Miller or Daniel Jeremiah have players listed in a generic listing trying to shoehorn them into a ranking set for 32 different NFL teams.

You're missing the point. What you're referencing is Twitter dudes with their boards. This is information coming directly from inside a team's draft room. That's the part that's interesting to me.

San Francisco had Derwin higher than Minkah and Edmunds. This kind of inside information is the stuff I like to see, not where Matt Miller or Daniel Jeremiah have players listed in a generic listing trying to shoehorn them into a ranking set for 32 different NFL teams.
Derwin seems like a 49er honestly.

sounds like a fair assessment. I was hoping for one of those 3 or Roquan Smith to be available work3d out pretty well for us

I liked Minkah over any other player in the draft for Miami. He was my number one get because of his versatility.
There are ways to scheme around the LBs, and James was a bit too one dimensional. But Minkah can be moved all over the field and excels at so many aspects of the game.
Plus his character, leadership, and prep are second to none. He's the rare player that will have every other player on the field playing better.

Yep the smallest thing could be why. It’s crazy. I wanted James but the fact that I don’t watch 300 hours of tape I was happy when I heard the name. It wasn’t a surprise like a jawan James type pick I’m happy the Dolphins Finally aren’t trying to outsmart everyone. Like taking Dion Jordan instead of a LT...

Saban rep in developing players helped. Also CK rep hurt every FSU defensive player honestly it was like watching some Canes players that turned into dominant pros after a so-so college career.

I do like the fact that Minka is true FS and most likely a team captain in a few years

I didn't miss the point. I was just commenting that the Chargers internal ranking was in agreement with many of the pre-draft player rankings that were out there (as was the Dolphins).

Last edited:
Minkah was my favorite player in the draft to us because of fit and the fact I believe he was the best play maker out there. I'd have taken Mayfield if he was there but other than that Minkah was the player I wanted

I love the pick and the only thing I hope is that he doesn't follow in the footsteps of most Bama players which is good or great out of college, average in the NFL.

I liked Minkah over any other player in the draft for Miami. He was my number one get because of his versatility.
There are ways to scheme around the LBs, and James was a bit too one dimensional. But Minkah can be moved all over the field and excels at so many aspects of the game.
Plus his character, leadership, and prep are second to none. He's the rare player that will have every other player on the field playing better.
Well said friend. He's suppose to be a great kid that takes his football seriously, doesn't smile often and is coachable.......best draft pickup for the Phins this year.

Back
Top Bottom