Cheap WR? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cheap WR?

either WR #3 or a pass catching TE......we need a 3rd option in the passing game.....many people thought that Ced Wilson would do great as the #3WR and he actually had some good moments but he just wasn’t used enough .....way too many targets for Hill/Waddle.....I get it, you must run your offense through your best two playmakers but there needs to be another reliable option
I've said this before, but Wilson's rep was as a 'big slot', not as an X or Y WR.
Our team was riddled with guys who play slot or Y, and we completely lacked a bully X type WR.
Even Ezukanma is more of a slot/Y utility receiver.

Gabe Davis might be interesting, seems like a good leader as well

He’s also one of the best blocking receivers in the league, but I’d imagine he’s going to cost a lot and a long term deal with plenty of guaranteed money as well.

I’m in on the Kendrick Bourne hype train. Think he’s a perfect fit for what we need. I like Josh Reynolds and MVS as well for that matter. Signing any of these guys wouldn’t put us out on a WR in the draft either….. so I like that. Super deep class.

Couple that come to mind. First, I do wonder about Claypool. I guess the fact that he didn't play much tells us the answer?

Jennings on SF seems like a near perfect fit.

Is Jarvis Landry a FA? He's not that big receiver, but physical and probably a good complement to Hill and Waddle.

Also, what about Connor? I know Miami has tried to convert him to TE, but he has flashed some receiving ability.

either WR #3 or a pass catching TE......we need a 3rd option in the passing game.....many people thought that Ced Wilson would do great as the #3WR and he actually had some good moments but he just wasn’t used enough .....way too many targets for Hill/Waddle.....I get it, you must run your offense through your best two playmakers but there needs to be another reliable option
This. They got Wilson, and then went and got Hill. So, Wilson didn't get many catches, although he did do pretty good when used. The problem is that McDaniel ran the passing game through Hill and Waddle, and everyone else got nothing but leftovers.

IMO, what they did made no sense. I understand going for Hill even though they just got Wilson; that's okay. But after that, it's like they just kept signing and cutting WRs without giving them much of a chance to show what they could do because all of the passes were going to Hill and Waddle. They drafted EZ and I read that he looked good early, but the kid has rarely seen the field. Sherfield and Cracraft made a lot of nice plays, but they cut Sherfield and then hardly used Cracraft (I think he was injured?). They also brought in Berrios and Claypool, neither of which got more than a bare minimum of targets, although Berrios was the return guy.

Also, the number of passes to TEs went down from 2022 to 2023. During this past regular season, Smythe was targeted just 43 times with 0 TDs. Under Flores, Gesicki and Smythe got a lot of targets and TDs, but under McDaniel, the TE position was mostly ignored, as was the #3 WR position.

Couple that come to mind. First, I do wonder about Claypool. I guess the fact that he didn't play much tells us the answer?

Jennings on SF seems like a near perfect fit.

Is Jarvis Landry a FA? He's not that big receiver, but physical and probably a good complement to Hill and Waddle.

Also, what about Connor? I know Miami has tried to convert him to TE, but he has flashed some receiving ability.
Jennings would be nice but he might be costly.

Landry didnt play in the NFL last year. I would give him a shot since he wont cost much. We need a possession type move the chains WR.

I would move on from Claypool. He showed nothing in his time with the Dolphins

Doesn’t matter who we get. There must be a fundamental change with our passing game. We need to be a ball controlled offense by moving the chains and controlling the clock. And that is done by throwing more underneath and that is Tua’s strength, not homerun or bust. And that means Tyreek needs to give up some balls. However, it all starts with the run, and we need to run more first

Doesn’t matter who we get. There must be a fundamental change with our passing game. We need to be a ball controlled offense by moving the chains and controlling the clock. And that is done by throwing more underneath and that is Tua’s strength, not homerun or bust. And that means Tyreek needs to give up some balls. However, it all starts with the run, and we need to run more first
Right. To be honest, I love seeing those big plays in the passing game, as it's been a long time since they were a regular part of the offense. However, they overemphasized it and too often tried to force a big play instead of taking a shorter, higher percentage pass (or a run) to move the sticks and keep drives alive.

Why would any good WR come be the distant 3rd option in Miami?

Berrios and Wilson only had 29 and 22 catches last year. Wilson definitely decreased his next contract value due to utilization and arguably Berrios since Tyreek and Waddle suck all the targets.

Wilson didn’t know the offense the first year and last year tua had to tell him where to line up multiple times. Team guy. But he needs to go.

Reactions: MDK
Remembering Wilson's most impactful receptions last year, almost all of them were sideline catches where he toe-tapped the sideline... and that isn't really a strength of his game. He was a square peg pounded into a round hole.
He wasn't especially good at outside work, but we didn't have anyone else. I'm pretty sure the team saw that... and will bring someone in through FA or the draft.
I really don't think they'll roll with Ezukanma.

I'd rather have a tall, physical WR with strong hands who's a 4.6 guy than MVS. The Dolphins don't have to have another WR who can blow the top off a defense, they need a tall WR who can catch a fade and run reliable routes. An Oronde Gadsden type.
Think about how many brothers screamed this in the game day threads... "what the Hell coach! Why did you call another fade route on third and goal??? That never works!!!"

Not with the personnel we had anyway... that's why Mostert got so many endzone carries; we just didn't have the right kind of red zone receivers.

Think about how many brothers screamed this in the game day threads... "what the Hell coach! Why did you call another fade route on third and goal??? That never works!!!"

Not with the personnel we had anyway... that's why Mostert got so many endzone carries; we just didn't have the right kind of red zone receivers.

It didn’t help that we don’t have a pass catching TE either. Fins were only team in NFL without a TD pass to a TE in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom