Cheap WR? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cheap WR?

I like Bourne but he tore his ACL against MIA in the game here so not sure how long till he would be right.

Wilson is gone already, as part of his restructure he is a FA.

I think we could see a possible Edge in the first or LB (or Edge) in the second... but I won't predict either. There might just be a guy they really like to replace Baker or AVG (and cover for the injured players).
I still would like to see us take a RB in the third if we can trade down... but that too is a bit of a longshot.
I doubt we use a 3rd(if we get one) on a RB........we have Mostert/achane and the team really likes Brooks......I'm expecting one or two UDFA RB's or maybe a cheap veteran .....but nothing this team does would shock me

I doubt we use a 3rd(if we get one) on a RB........we have Mostert/achane and the team really likes Brooks......I'm expecting one or two UDFA RB's or maybe a cheap veteran .....but nothing this team does would shock me
Maybe draft Steel in the 7th?

TE is just as big of a need as any of those that aren't on the OL.
They have 2 of the top 15 or so ranked Wr in the NFL. Smythe is a starter and servicable, you can’t have stars at every skill position when there is a salary cap. Say they majorly upgrade the TE position with Jonnu Smith @ 10 mil a year and the what, let Smythe @ 5 mil sit on the bench.

After giving Tua a second contract and cutting Baker, Crossen, Wilson and doing max restructuring on Chubb, Ramsey, Hill and Sieler they may have $50 mil after getting under the cap. If they tag Wilkins that’s $30 mil.

Say they up majorly upgrade the TE position by signing Jonnu Smith. Your spending 1/3 of your remaining cap if Wilkins is tagged and letting Smythe sit on the bench for 5 mil next season.

Meanwhile you have holes at starting OC, RG, LG, ILB, CB, Safety, a NT, a 3rd OLB and swing tackle. They have a 1st and 2nd rounder, do you seriously think they can find 2 plug and play starters who will be at least league average? They cannot spend big money on a one position with their holes they need to fill with limited draft capital and salary cap.

Someone like Hooper is the best they can do in their situation.

They have 2 of the top 15 or so ranked Wr in the NFL. Smythe is a starter and servicable, you can’t have stars at every skill position when there is a salary cap. Say they majorly upgrade the TE position with Jonnu Smith @ 10 mil a year and the what, let Smythe @ 5 mil sit on the bench.

After giving Tua a second contract and cutting Baker, Crossen, Wilson and doing max restructuring on Chubb, Ramsey, Hill and Sieler they may have $50 mil after getting under the cap. If they tag Wilkins that’s $30 mil.

Say they up majorly upgrade the TE position by signing Jonnu Smith. Your spending 1/3 of your remaining cap if Wilkins is tagged and letting Smythe sit on the bench for 5 mil next season.

Meanwhile you have holes at starting OC, RG, LG, ILB, CB, Safety, a NT, a 3rd OLB and swing tackle. They have a 1st and 2nd rounder, do you seriously think they can find 2 plug and play starters who will be at least league average? They cannot spend big money on a one position with their holes they need to fill with limited draft capital and salary cap.

Someone like Hooper is the best they can do in their situation.

I am not arguing that we many options (we don't) but for starters, Durham Smythe isn't serviceable, he's bottom 5. You can't design plays for him, he'll occasionally get some scraps as a 4th or 5th option.

Our WR's have nothing to do with our need at TE. There is a reason we struggle on third down passing situations and we will continue to do so. Corners are designed to cover WR's, LB's and most NFL safeties are not designed to be able to cover TE's.

All the best TE's in the NFL play on the best teams, its not a coincidence. TE's extend drives because they do most of their damage in the 5-10 yard range. Its easier for them to get open in a short period of time.

Literally all the elite teams and QB's have a reliable threat at TE. You just can't ignore the success the games best TE's have. Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, Goedert even going back to Zach Ertz in his prime. They kill their opponents. And Sam Laporta is the next guy who joined that group and Dalton Kincaid will be right behind him as will Michael Mayer in LV once they find a QB. And soon enough they'll all be looking up at Brock Bowers.

This offense has a glaring weakness and it will continue to be a problem if they don't get a reliable threat at TE.

Go look at the games best WR's over the last 15-20 years and see how many of those HOF guys impacted Super Bowls.

Last edited:
I am not arguing that we don't have many options but for starters, Durham Smythe isn't serviceable, he's bottom 5. You can't design plays for him, he'll occasionally get some scraps as a 4th or 5th option.

Our WR's have nothing to do with our need at TE. There is a reason we struggle on third down passing situations and we will continue to do so. Corners are designed to cover WR's, LB's and most NFL safeties are not designed to be able to cover TE's.

All the best TE's in the NFL play on the best teams, its not a coincidence. TE's extend drives because they do most of their damage in the 5-10 yard range. Its easier for them to get open in a short period of time.

Literally all the elite teams and QB's have a reliable threat at TE. You just can't ignore the success the games best TE's have. Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, Goedert even going back to Zach Ertz in his prime. They kill their opponents. And Sam Laporta is the next guy who joined that group and Dalton Kincaid will be right behind him as will Michael Mayer in LV once they find a QB. And soon enough they'll all be looking up at Brock Bowers.

This offense has a glaring weakness and it will continue to be a problem if they don't get a reliable threat at TE.

Go look at the games best WR's over the last 15-20 years and see how many of those HOF guys impacted Super Bowls.
I agree with you about TE’s being a key piece of a Championship Team. They just don’t have the resources to do that with all their holes and little draft capital and cap space.

Don’t think it can be done with how this team is currently built without weakening other areas?

The UFA WR market is EXTREMELY fat with talent this offseason and I fully expect Miami to take advantage of that by hopefully signing a difference maker that might normally be more expensive when the market is thinner.

I like some of the names already mentioned but I’m keeping an eye on Calvin Ridley. I think that dude can be had without over extending ourselves and throwing him out there with Tyreke and Waddle would make a DC’s job damn near impossible.
I think someone will pay Ridley good money. Coming off a year off, he was excellent for the Jags.

I agree with you about TE’s being a key piece of a Championship Team. They just don’t have the resources to do that with all their holes and little draft capital and cap space.

Don’t think it can be done with how this team is currently built without weakening other areas?

We missed our chance to hit a home run last year when Ross cost us our first round pick (and likely again this year without that 3rd rounder). No doubt about that.

But we have to try, even if its bargain shopping for a guy like Logan Thomas. Who I believe would be a nice short term answer as he's a massive athlete who'd be a good mentor for Julian Hill, who was also a QB turned TE.

You mentioned Jonnu Smith, I'd LOVE to get add him. We'll see what kind of offers he commands. Tannehill's 2020 Titans were minutes from the Super Bowl in a part because of the connection Smith and RT17 had, along with the obvious talents of DH and AJ Brown.

I am curious to see if the Giants give Waller another year. Obviously he struggles to stay on the field and his older as well like Logan Thomas so the suitors might not be lining up for him if he's released. Giants don't need the money as of today but they do need an overhaul offensively so I'll be watching that situation. They could wait til the draft to release him if they decide they want Bowers, assuming the Chargers don't. Bowers would be instant offense for that club so i think they'd strongly consider him. With their expected parting of ways with Barkley, I could see them doing a semi rebuild and moving on from Waller. At which point I'd have a strong interest in signing him and probably not let him play until November.

Best case scenario for me right now would be to get the 73rd pick from Detroit and land Ben Sinnott from Kansas State or signing Jonnu Smith to a 2 year deal.

Jonnu Smith is exactly what we need. I also like the idea of Josh Reynolds.

We need a few guys with size who can run good routes and break tackles. It would be nice if they’re somewhat athletic, too, unlike Ced Wilson who moved in slow motion.

You were being nice when you said doubt, you're absolutely positive. We're set for 2024 with Mostert, Achane and Brooks.

Jonnu Smith is exactly what we need. I also like the idea of Josh Reynolds.

We need a few guys with size who can run good routes and break tackles. It would be nice if they’re somewhat athletic, too, unlike Ced Wilson who moved in slow motion.

10000000000%.

Reynolds and Smith would be ideal.

Thats the point is all we have are distant 3rd options at WR. When teams design game plans to take away Hill and Waddle, we need somebody else to step up and make teams pay for that design. Currently we don't have that ability.

Another thing to consider is that both Hill and Waddle seem to get injured often so we need better depth.
Yes, Miami could upgrade their #3 WR position. But, unless McDaniel completely changes his philosophy, he's going to run the passing game through Hill and Waddle, even if they're covered.

I am not arguing that we many options (we don't) but for starters, Durham Smythe isn't serviceable, he's bottom 5. You can't design plays for him, he'll occasionally get some scraps as a 4th or 5th option.

I'd love to see Miami have their own Kelce or Gronk. Gesicki had the hands and made a lot of nice catches, but he couldn't block or get yards after the catch. And, instead of being able to run through tackles, he was easily taken down by tiny DBs. Smythe is a better blocker, but when he gets the ball, he doesn't make the big plays like the elite TEs can do. He seems reliable when he does get targeted, but he can't take over a game.

That said, a big part of Miami's TE situation is like their #3 WR situation, in that McDaniel this past season rarely used them in the passing game and instead wanted the majority of the throws to go to Hill or Waddle. It's weird; McDaniel is a 49ers guy, and Shanahan makes use of Kittle as an offensive weapon, but McDaniel seems to want to focus only on his speedy little WRs.

Back
Top Bottom