Cheap WR? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cheap WR?

Holy smokes talk about bad luck 😂

Bad Luck Episode 136 GIF by Soul Train
I wouldn't want to be in the same room as him, my gosh, bad mojo

*chuckle*

We added one promising rookie (who is not an every down back, and whose skillset is exactly like the only other decent back that we have)...

...and yes, the draft is ALWAYS about the future. When you start drafting for the 'right now', you've already failed.

Wilson is a likely cap cut. Brooks is a former UDFA who accomplished ZERO during the season, and Mostert is going to be 32 next month.

Yes... we have very little future here.
We can need it next year. Funny thing about needs is they don't go away. We have needed OL, CB, LB for far longer than we have needed RB, which in its current state is a want.

We can need it next year. Funny thing about needs is they don't go away. We have needed OL, CB, LB for far longer than we have needed RB, which in its current state is a want.
One of the crucial differences is cost to benefit.
With a Tackle, for instance, you've almost GOT to go round 1, certainly no later than round 2. Almost all of the NFL quality Tackles come out of the first couple of rounds.
Now... with a RB, this is less so. Most years, you see RBs fall way down the board, and this year, none are expected to go until round 2.

This means that by the time you get to the third round (where I suggested that we might take a RB), the Tackles are wiped out, but you might just find a top 3 RB.

It's a risk vs. cost thing...

The next part of this is FA cost to benefit. You can find very nice, youngish LBs (for instance) in free agency at a minimal cost. Indeed, we found Long for 5m/year... Now flip that to RB. These guys are mostly 28 years old or so and essentially used up. Yes, you can find one... sometimes, but even then, they are probably only good for a year, maybe two.
Look at all the bad RBs we've tried to sign in FA or as UDFAs... I'd say 80-90% of them were completely worthless.

...and that's why I'm keen to at least consider finding a RB this year. A guy like Estime might be there in the 4th round... and what kind of lineman or Edge would we find there? Most likely, a poor one.

It isn't necessarily checking positions off in order.

Not a fan of VS. for me, he is way too inconsistent. Toney is also a no for me. And instead of being cheap to fill a spot, pay the right player who can contribute as a 3rd WR, the money instead of wasting $$ on a spot player.

Not a fan of VS. for me, he is way too inconsistent. Toney is also a no for me. And instead of being cheap to fill a spot, pay the right player who can contribute as a 3rd WR, the money instead of wasting $$ on a spot player.
Name one... and what you'd pay.

Name one... and what you'd pay.
Curtis Samuel, WR, Redskins. 10 mil a year over 3 years probably, its up there, but he is a solid performer in both the run and passing game.
Would love Michael Pittman, but he will be very costly. Rashid Shaheed might be a good option too. 6 mil a year, incentive laden.

*chuckle*

We added one promising rookie (who is not an every down back, and whose skillset is exactly like the only other decent back that we have)...

...and yes, the draft is ALWAYS about the future. When you start drafting for the 'right now', you've already failed.

Wilson is a likely cap cut. Brooks is a former UDFA who accomplished ZERO during the season, and Mostert is going to be 32 next month.

Yes... we have very little future here.

Achane had 38 carries in his last college games. He's not a delicate little flower. He's also an exceptional blocker and reciever.

How much do we think Kendrick Bourne signs for somewhere?

Is Chase Claypool a FA?
If not, why dump money on an outside guy when Claypool is in the building already? Unless there's something fundamentally wrong with CC...
As cap strapped as the team is.
He might be looking for a receiver that can actually catch the ball when it’s thrown to him?

Curtis Samuel, WR, Redskins. 10 mil a year over 3 years probably, its up there, but he is a solid performer in both the run and passing game.
Would love Michael Pittman, but he will be very costly. Rashid Shaheed might be a good option too. 6 mil a year, incentive laden.
You'd give our third receiver 10 million a year?

I guess I'm uncertain how we'd pay for that.

Achane had 38 carries in his last college games. He's not a delicate little flower. He's also an exceptional blocker and reciever.
Heh! He might have had a high number of carries in one college game, but he couldn't get through his first NFL season without missing time due to injury... and this was as a part time back.
He had two different injuries in his rookie year: one to his shoulder that caused missed time, and later a knee injury that sent him to IR.
Nor is he an exceptional blocker; he doesn't have the body mass to do more than get in the way of guys who dramatically outweigh him. I think you just make things up to justify what you want to see.

Last edited:
Heh! He might have had a high number of carries in one college game, but he couldn't get through his first NFL season without missing time due to injury... and this was as a part time back.
He had two different injuries in his rookie year: one to his shoulder that caused missed time, and later a knee injury that sent him to IR.
Nor is he an exceptional blocker; he doesn't have the body mass to do more than get in the way of guys who dramatically outweigh him. I think you just make things up to justify what you want to see.

Injuries are a pretty standard course for NFL RBs. Hes no more likely to get against the Giants than he is LSU. Pretty good reason not to waste a much needed asset on adding yet another one when you already have a strong stable.

Come 2025 it might be a different story but you'll hard pressed to find anyone that thinks trading down for 21 to add another back is prudent.

Last edited:
Of the WR's Miami has a shot at in the draft, I think Ladd McConkey is the clear best option and the one most likely to be able to learn the offense and play early.

I doubt they go that route with the OL talent available, but he's going to get open, be where he should when he should, and maximize yards after the catch. Glove fit for Tua, too.

Back
Top Bottom