Chester Hopes To Be Ready For TC | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chester Hopes To Be Ready For TC

Holliday hasn't even played DT since college more or less. He's not heavier than Robinson. Carter and Holliday are both 290 and are tall so they don't have much leverage at DT. Carter yes is a good run stopper when he's next to a huge DT like Haynesworth.

DT is the most dangerous job on the defense .They usually have short careers due to the chop and cut blocks..I am sad to see Bowens at the end of his career.He proved his high profile detractors wrong and he was a force in the middle for many yrears.

Chester may have some mileage in him yet.I hope he comes around.

Thats good news. Our run defense really died as soon as him and Bowens were out.

Jaj said:
Well to say the least Carter and Holliday aren't great run stuffing DTs. Our LBs aren't completely different as Zach is still our MLB. Moore and Pope haven't gotten any larger. We're better at LB now, but still if we have both Carter and Holliday starting at DT we are SCREWED.

However, this analysis is based on a Wanny style D. Saban is more interested in a penetrating group of DT's. The LB's with Spragan and Crowder are bigger. And, Seau is good size as well.

I think that we do need at least one (Bowens and Chester) to be in there and healthy. But, that's really only on run downs.

It's a concern, but not nearly as big a concern as last year since the style of D has changed somewhat.

Jaj, the trouble began when Bowens and Chester were out last year. If these two are healthy along with the players that we've added via the draft and free agency we'll be very strong at DT IMO. Don't forget that with Saban coaching there will be many schemesthat differ from what we've done in the past. With Bowens and Chester in the rotation and Carter, Taylor, Holliday and Roth rotating at DE we'll be plenty tough up front. At linebacker we'll have Crowder, Thomas and Seau which is bigger and better than we've been in years. I promise you our front 7 will be killer good, you'll be happy. If you want to worry about something, worry about the safety position because it's Tebuckey and ?????? We will get the right guys lined up by the opener IMO and I think our d will be really dominant after a short while. Don't forget how good a healthy Bowens and Chester can be.

chester will be fine, bowens will not, he will not play this year with that injury or ever again at that position, i dont know why anyone has hope that he will be back, it is not possible with a disc problem to play DT in the NFL

Bonedoc7777 said:
chester will be fine, bowens will not, he will not play this year with that injury or ever again at that position, i dont know why anyone has hope that he will be back, it is not possible with a disc problem to play DT in the NFL
Sadly, I think you are right. Bowens carear is probably over. :cry: However, with Carter being able to play the DT position, I am not overly worried about the DT position. We need to inject some youth(Vickerson was a start) and hopefully next year we spend an early pick, say 2nd rounder, on a DT.

I envision our 4-3 with one bigger, run stuffing DT (Bowens or Chester) together with a smaller, more disruptive DT (Carter). That would give us the necesary balance to rush the QB from the inside while maintaining stout run support.

In order for that to happen, one of Bowens/Chester has to recover completely from injury.

Jaj said:
We're VERY shakey at that position. Other than overweight Chester and back injury Bowens we have no run stoppers at DT. Carter is a tweener as is Holliday. If those two end up starting at DT it'll be a repeat of last year for our run defense.

Doubt it, Saban will just shift to a 34 if the DT's cannot handle the job.

Mr Fan said:
Doubt it, Saban will just shift to a 34 if the DT's cannot handle the job.

What??? That would make it even worse....

To run the 3-4 you need both of those two to switch in and out at NT.

Da 'Fins said:
However, this analysis is based on a Wanny style D. Saban is more interested in a penetrating group of DT's. The LB's with Spragan and Crowder are bigger. And, Seau is good size as well.

I think that we do need at least one (Bowens and Chester) to be in there and healthy. But, that's really only on run downs.

It's a concern, but not nearly as big a concern as last year since the style of D has changed somewhat.

I completely agree. IMO, healthy or not Larry Chester has no future on this team beyond this season. I'm sick of watching him play, a triumph of stationary belly bumping do-nothingness. It would be one thing if he tackled well, but he can't even do that, no agility. He takes up space and doesn't get shattered at the point of attack like the journeyman guys we tried at DT last year. Wonderful. As you say, everything I've seen from Saban's defensive philosiophy is he wants disrupters in the middle, same as I do. Then you have larger LBs behind them who can stand up physically if the DT takes himself out of the play with a quick charge in the wrong direction.

Does anyone have any idea what Chester weighed before and how much he weighs now? Hopefully he'll be healthy and in shape in time for this season. I know we can't count on TimBo and expect him to play the whole season let alone even a few games. But I'm really hoping Chester is able to get over this injury and continue to perform well and prove to be reliable for us. He's a great run stuffer and we need him in my opinion.

Jaj said:
What??? That would make it even worse....

To run the 3-4 you need both of those two to switch in and out at NT.

Nahh, Saban will just run down some player who cannot move 3ft but who weighs 370 or so and stick him a NT. Seems to work for every other team.

Gilbert Brown anyone...hehe.

painnotpleasure said:
Does anyone have any idea what Chester weighed before and how much he weighs now? Hopefully he'll be healthy and in shape in time for this season. I know we can't count on TimBo and expect him to play the whole season let alone even a few games. But I'm really hoping Chester is able to get over this injury and continue to perform well and prove to be reliable for us. He's a great run stuffer and we need him in my opinion.
Chester was around the 325 pound range when he had his injury. I would imagine he's up to about 350-60 pound range now.

Back
Top Bottom