Chop | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

He does decent job, but I have noted he get enveloped often by long armed players. I am going to be curious if can learn how to hand fight the OT hands down in pros.
Proper hand usage and technique is one thing that seems neglected by many collegiate coaches on both sides of the ball.

Well, Van Noy was on his way to being out of the league before going to NE in his 4th year.

Not sure that is the trajectory I would be hoping for.

Just saying......

Talking about the role in the D. Look at the space and angles on twists. Thinking about that room and those angles with a guy who is about as explosive as it gets.

Van Noy ran like a 4.7 at around 240 and didn't jump well. He's nowhere near the athlete Robinson is, and he started his career as an off-ball LB. So, I don't think they're similar.

Talking about the role in the D. Look at the space and angles on twists. Thinking about that room and those angles with a guy who is about as explosive as it gets.

Van Noy ran like a 4.7 at around 240 and didn't jump well. He's nowhere near the athlete Robinson is, and he started his career as an off-ball LB. So, I don't think they're similar.
So the term "Van Noy Role" is common around the league to refer to what you describe, even though the required physical attributes are not similar?

I guess I just fail to understand the term or reference to a specific player when talking about simple spacing, then.

No problem. Carry on.....

So the term "Van Noy Role" is common around the league to refer to what you describe, even though the required physical attributes are not similar?

I guess I just fail to understand the term or reference to a specific player when talking about simple spacing, then.

No problem. Carry on.....

I was referring to Van Noy playing OLB in the Baltimore defense, which will have similarities to what Weaver runs in Miami, and is highlighted in the video I posted. I don't think Van Noy has this role that follows him wherever he goes.

We used to use it to describe the role in the Flores D, but that was a while ago.

I never claimed it was a must. You’re taking it like I’m saying the height is everything and I’m not saying that at all.

I’m saying it matters when all you have is a speed rush with no 2nd move or counter move.

If you like the pick that’s your right. But don’t try to change others opinions. My opinion is mine and mine alone and in 2/3 years we’ll refer back and see who was right.
So you can do that but no one else can?

So you can do that but no one else can?
Where have I went at someone first bc they liked the pick? All I did was state my opinion that I didn’t agree nor like it and everybody jumps in trying to tell me why it’s a fantastic pick.

Proper hand usage and technique is one thing that seems neglected by many collegiate coaches on both sides of the ball.
not sure why they would neglect that in college. it seems pretty basic. might be true, might be a rationalization from the pundits. alot of guys in college do know how to use their hands, how did they figure it out? this is a first round pick we are talking about, if he hasnt figured it out yet, why will he? seems to me players with these types of issues should not be first rounders. chop's DC at penn state, was manny diaz, who although a sucky head coach, was a great dc. his um defenses were always quite good, and sacked the qb like crazy. so i am of the opinion that manny knows how to coach edge rushers, including guys like jaelen phillips and greg rousseau, who both produced a fair bit more than chop did in college, both in terms of sacks and tackles. i still cannot get over chops lack of tackles, when it comes to his tackles it is almost like he wasnt on the field. 15 tackles? seems impossible to be that low. something seems not right. gm me would have taken the IOL or one of the #1 rated CB on the board when we picked. we literally could have had the first CB off the board at 21, who the eggles took at 22, and their drafting record is very very good. fingers crossed i am wrong, and i am happy to be wrong. for now, my money is on the kamara kid, if the dolphins give him a fair shake given his relative draft status, that kid seems nasty!

Last edited:
It came from the review of the pick of chop on draft day, I can;t find it. But I believe joel klatt basically brought up the michigan penn state game to reference the disruption and talent of Chop. I mean this is michigan and that o line. He said chop disrupted the passing game so much, getting pressure and blowing it up so much despite the extra protection. That harbaugh basically not only changed the original pass game plan to short quick throws to just abandoning the pass because of the effect chop had. They just went all run because of how much chop was getting through the pass protection. That shows a lot of this guy's potential and talent, time for miami to just set him up. I think and hope weaver will set him up. I guess the defense system weaver is doing is something that chop is used to and might do best in, so that helps

It came from the review of the pick of chop on draft day, I can;t find it. But I believe joel klatt basically brought up the michigan penn state game to reference the disruption and talent of Chop. I mean this is michigan and that o line. He said chop disrupted the passing game so much, getting pressure and blowing it up so much despite the extra protection. That harbaugh basically not only changed the original pass game plan to short quick throws to just abandoning the pass because of the effect chop had. They just went all run because of how much chop was getting through the pass protection. That shows a lot of this guy's potential and talent, time for miami to just set him up. I think and hope weaver will set him up. I guess the defense system weaver is doing is something that chop is used to and might do best in, so that helps
thats what I’ve been saying about him and the reason he doesnt have the sacks, he’s dictating terms to the offense and those terms are you’re gonna have to change to a quick tempo offense because ain’t know way your tackle is holding this dude for a five to seven step drop. Terms to the Qb are in the form of they okie they have to rush getting the ball out.

thats what I’ve been saying about him and the reason he doesnt have the sacks, he’s dictating terms to the offense and those terms are you’re gonna have to change to a quick tempo offense because ain’t know way your tackle is holding this dude for a five to seven step drop. Terms to the Qb are in the form of they okie they have to rush getting the ball out.
so you are saying the reason chop didnt have that many sacks in college was because he was too good? same reason for his lack of tackles too? or am i misunderstanding this point? btw if you are right, if he sucks in nfl terms, that will make him a great nfl player, so maybe we are on to something here, but then i cannot figure out why charles harris was bad, but maybe it was because he was too good? oh lord now i am confusing myself. but that is because i am confused by all of this

so you are saying the reason chop didnt have that many sacks in college was because he was too good? same reason for his lack of tackles too? or am i misunderstanding this point? btw if you are right, if he sucks in nfl terms, that will make him a great nfl player, so maybe we are on to something here, but then i cannot figure out why charles harris was bad, but maybe it was because he was too good? oh lord now i am confusing myself. but that is because i am confused by all of this
Go watch some of his games. Watch how many times he gets immediate pressures and the QB has to get rid of it. It happened a ton and he doesn’t get credit for a sack. Total disruption in the backfield. I saw a few times where his pressure caused interceptions which is even better than a sack but he doesn’t get credit on the stat sheet for anything more than a pressure in the pressure percentage rate which was excellent. On top of that, watch how the opposing offense has to take into account where Robinson is lined up and has to alter their blocking. He gets double teamed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom