Chris Grier Meets With The Media Ahead Of The Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier Meets With The Media Ahead Of The Draft

I really, really liked this. It's almost like he realizes that a huge part of his job is to make sure he sets up the coach to get the best players for his scheme.

So Grier had final say in the draft the past two years.

"I'm not going to force a coach to take a player. Because that doesn't work. If a coach doesn't want a player, and I say, 'No, we're taking them" and then it works out one way or the other, good, but if it doesn't, it just creates that animosity and distrust. It's not worth it. You've been around here long enough, you've seen a lot of that happen. So I'm not gonna force any player on anyone...but yes, I had final say...I'm going to be very collaborative."

Wow. He really dumped on the previous regimes there.

I like that he specifically stressed that they wouldn't reach for need, and that he brought up the failure rate of QB.

Most important person in the organization, good luck Grier.

"Reshad is going to be here" that's what I'm talking about!

Last edited:
I really, really liked this. It's almost like he realizes that a huge part of his job is to make sure he sets up the coach to get the best players for his scheme.

"I'm not going to force a coach to take a player. Because that doesn't work. If a coach doesn't want a player, and I say, 'No, we're taking them" and then it works out one way or the other, good, but if it doesn't, it just creates that animosity and distrust. It's not worth it. You've been around here long enough, you've seen a lot of that happen. So I'm not gonna force any player on anyone...but yes, I had final say...I'm going to be very collaborative."

I like that he specifically stressed that they wouldn't reach for need, and that he brought up the failure rate of QB.

So he has final say, but won't go against a coach. Actually, he just fills out the card after the draft room gets a consensus. That's the way it should be. BTW, "I'm not going to force a coach to take a player." I'm just guessing the reverse is true. 'I'm not going to deny a coach a player he wants.'

As usual not much there but it was good to see him talk about the player that didn't go all out all the time. That has to give you pause when a player admits that he's not trying in every game. I want nothing to do with whoever that player was.

So he has final say, but won't go against a coach. Actually, he just fills out the card after the draft room gets a consensus. That's the way it should be. BTW, "I'm not going to force a coach to take a player." I'm just guessing the reverse is true. 'I'm not going to deny a coach a player he wants.'

I'm not certain it works that way, specifically in this instance, because Flores has spoken repeatedly about the *type* of player that he wants. I hope the collaborative bit isn't just lip service.

Of course, the only people who really know are the ones in the draft room. We'll see.

When he said that the first thing in my mind was, did you or Gase wanted Harris? Did you or Gase wanted Gesicki?

As usual not much there but it was good to see him talk about the player that didn't go all out all the time. That has to give you pause when a player admits that he's not trying in every game. I want nothing to do with whoever that player was.

You weren't listening if you think "As usual not much there!" He said A LOT!

- He pratically told you we're drafting one of the Top 5 DL guys if they're there at our pick. How do i know that? Because he said essentially you're an idiot if you pass on top caliber guys trying to trade down to acquire more picks

-He told you we're drafting an OL (Good depth there)
-He told you we're drafting a receiver(Class is deeper than you think!).
-Hell he even told you we're not going to reach for a QB.

Last edited:
You weren't listening if you think "As usual not much there!" He said A LOT! He pratically told you we're drafting one of the Top 5 DL guys if they're there at our pick. He told you we're drafting an OL and he told you we're drafting a receiver. Hell he even told you we're not going to reach for a QB.
Really? He said all that? So there's no need to watch the draft then since he told me what he's going to do?
Please tell me you're kidding cause if you got all that from him and it actually happens then he really sucks as a GM to show all his cards for everyone to see so I hope you're wrong.

Reshad Jones DB, Miami Dolphins

Speaking Wednesday, Dolphins GM Chris Grier said S Reshad Jones has not requested a trade and will not be dealt by the team.
"Reshad's going to be here," Grier stated. For now, Jones is not there, as he skips voluntary workouts. But Grier said Jones has expressed no desire to leave at this point. Jones carries the team's largest cap hit at over $17 million, but Miami can afford it obviously with no other real stars on the roster. Jones, 31, is signed for three more seasons at hefty salaries.

Really? He said all that? So there's no need to watch the draft then since he told me what he's going to do?
Please tell me you're kidding cause if you got all that from him and it actually happens then he really sucks as a GM to show all his cards for everyone to see so I hope you're wrong.

Lol, It's not my fault i heard quite a bit and you didn't. You're entitled to your opinion that he basically said nothing. We'll find out soon enough and have a great day!

The time for talking is over. 8 days. 3 Hours. 16 Minutes.

It's inevitable that Flores will either have final say or everyone will be out of a job.......4-5 years down the road.

I think they put the right dynamic together this time with guys who get that while someone might be in charge, everyone has their value and they are all vital to team success.

Eventually, the coach needs to be the boss. But not the kind of boss that blows off the guy who owns the logo on 90% of the clothes you wear on a daily basis.

Lol, It's not my fault i heard quite a bit and you didn't. You're entitled to your opinion that he basically said nothing. We'll find out soon enough and have a great day!
I'm just saying it's scary if he's really giving out that much info for everyone to have

I'm just saying it's scary if he's really giving out that much info for everyone to have

And i'm just saying he's not intentionally/blatantly saying we're drafting this guy and that exact guy. But in talking he's expressing his team draft philosophy. If you listen carefully AND know the Dolphins needs then you can get a good general sense for the teams draft plan.

Here's what I go based on what he said:

1) Top 5 DL if they're there. If not trade down..
2-3) LB/OL
4-7) QB/Reciever

I have such a sneaky feeling that if Haskins hits 9/10 we’re going up and getting him...

Trading w/ cincy would be so perfect.

Back
Top Bottom