Chubb Lightly Running Without Brace | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chubb Lightly Running Without Brace

I do not expect the team to rush either of them back, but I think they will both be healthier than fans expected to start the season.

It will be 9 months since the injury at the end of August for Phillips. Wake came back from the same injury in 10 months when he was 34 almost a decade ago.. It will be 8+ months (depending on the surgery time) since Chubb torn his ACL when the season starts. I would not be surprised to see both of them practicing in September as both injuries are 6-9 month recoveries with current medical science.

The team has been extremely cautious with injuries since the Tua concussion drama, so they might not get game reps right away.
They didn't select Chop because they expected these guys back for game 1.

Mid season is when I expect them back, its not just the injury its the muscle rebuild and trust that takes quite a bit of time.

I remember Michael Strahan's sack to achieve the single-season record where Favre just laid down for him, maybe they should take that away too

So in your mind, he earned that sack? Just because it's on the stat sheet?

And that sack was just 1 of 22 he had that year, in a long and distinguished career.

How are you comparing that to a "career year" for a guy had 11 sacks, some of which were suspect?

I don't judge a sacks worthiness, they all count

So by your rationale Bradley Chubb was slightly better than Nick Bosa last year, who only had 10.5 sacks in 2023 and that you can judge a players total value based on the outcome of 10 or 11 individual plays out of a 1000. And when more than 27% of those "stats" came in one game against the worst OT in the league, you ignore it completely?

Are 10.5 sacks for Bosa concerning to the Niners? Heck no, he's double teamed on every play and had produced some monster seasons.

Chubb's career sack average was below 6 a year, before 2023. Which makes you wonder how he got 11 to begin with. Once you start digging, you can see why this "career year" happened.

Last edited:
So by your rationale Bradley Chubb was slightly better than Nick Bosa last year, who only had 10.5 sacks in 2023 and that you can judge a players total value based on the outcome of 10 or 11 individual plays out of a 1000. And when more than 27% of those "stats" came in one game against the worst OT in the league, you ignore it completely?

I don't think he ever said that. Your hate for Chubb blinds you on this topic. He had a good year and is a good player. Until you go through every single player's sacks and see how many were unblocked, against poor competition, QB held the ball too long, etc., then it is a pointless discussion.

Are 10.5 sacks for Bosa concerning to the Niners? Heck no, he's double teamed on every play and had produced some monster seasons.

Chubb's career sack average was below 6 a year, before 2023. Which makes you wonder how he got 11 to begin with. Once you start digging, you can see why this "career year" happened.
I don't judge a player's total value by any one metric, that would make no sense.
Question, though: Were Bosa's sacks all legit against only top talent or did he get some he didn't "earn"?

I don't think he ever said that. Your hate for Chubb blinds you on this topic. He had a good year and is a good player. Until you go through every single player's sacks and see how many were unblocked, against poor competition, QB held the ball too long, etc., then it is a pointless discussion.

First off, I don't hate the player. I've said many times I'd have been thrilled to have on a rookie deal. It's the assets we used to get him that bother me because I don't think the impact is compatible to those assets.

I have gone and looked through all of his plays to see exactly how impactful he was. I dont have to do that for other players because a lot of those other top players have consistently produced.

Every single person who's tried to combat my opinion on thr matter has responded with thr exact same thing, repeating his stats. Which again, for a guy on a rookie contract as a second or third round pick, it's solid production.

For the highest paid defensive player on the team, who we gave up first and fourth round picks for, it's the bare minimum level of production. So forgive me for taking exception with people who call him elite when he clearly wasn't.

Which is why stats aren't an end all be all for discussing a player's impact. Stats don't tell the whole story in football, like they primarily do in basketball and baseball. The "stats" he put up last year were an anomaly for his career, which is why it was worth taking a closer look at those "stats". We use stats a projector for future production, so when I look at this, I wonder where that future production will come from. When I see 3 sacks against the Jets and arguably the worst LT and QB in the NFL, I wonder what good that will do me in terms of competing for the Super Bowl. I look at the teams that scored 56 and 48 points against us last year and I am concerned about what's going to be different next time.

Again, if we are going to 'qualify' stats against Chubb for 'lesser' competition, we must also 'qualify' all sacks by all other players. It is reasonable to assume all players get more sacks against 'lesser' players, thus, the reason they're called 'lesser' players.
And, again, I'm not arguing Chubb is elite, but he's a good player. I doubt he'll be back in Sept., but when he returns, he will help Miami's pass rush.

I don't judge a player's total value by any one metric, that would make no sense.
Question, though: Were Bosa's sacks all legit against only top talent or did he get some he didn't "earn"?

Well a guy like Bosa has dominated OTs since he got into the NFL and as an Ohio State fan i can tell you he's been doing that since he was a freshman in Columbus.

Crosby, Watt and Garrett, they do it year in and year out so when they get only 10-11 sacks, you know it's primarily because they are the focus of opposing offenses, which they are.

What you won't see with those guys, are plays like the one against Dallas when no one blocked him. If we're using stats to project what a guy will do for me in the future, I'm disqualifying things that won't happen again.

When a guy who averages 5 sacks a year gets 11, you look at why that happened. And when you see things like a monster game against Mekhi Becton, you start to see how he ended up with these "career year" stats.

I have little doubt the FO wishes they wouldn't have made the trade for him. And that has nothing to do with his injury.

Last edited:
Again, if we are going to 'qualify' stats against Chubb for 'lesser' competition, we must also 'qualify' all sacks by all other players. It is reasonable to assume all players get more sacks against 'lesser' players, thus, the reason they're called 'lesser' players.
And, again, I'm not arguing Chubb is elite, but he's a good player. I doubt he'll be back in Sept., but when he returns, he will help Miami's pass rush.

Yes, however players that are productive year in and year out get the benefit of the doubt.

When you look at Chubbs sacks and then you look at Watt, Bosa, Hunter, Crosby and Garrett's sacks, they don't look the same. Chubb can't destroy blocks like those guys, or even like Jaelen Philips could. The disruption factor isn't higher with BC.

I've always maintained that what Chubb lacks in physical prowess he does make up for with effort. He's a high effort guy for sure.

Last edited:
They didn't select Chop because they expected these guys back for game 1.

Mid season is when I expect them back, its not just the injury its the muscle rebuild and trust that takes quite a bit of time.
I don’t believe Chubb or Phillips’ injury had any impact on the team selecting Chop. I would be shocked to see him start on a high snap count week 1 in Weaver’s system. I don’t see him being more than a situational pass rusher early on.

My point in all this is that both players are going to be healthy when we need them. They will be healed from their injuries before the season starts even if it takes part of the first half of the season to get into “game shape”. I personally expect to see both of them on the field some time in October (even if it is on a snap count).

Yes, however players that are productive year in and year out get the benefit of the doubt.

When you look at Chubbs sacks and then you look at Watt, Bosa, Hunter, Crosby and Garrett's sacks, they don't look the same. Chubb can't destroy blocks like those guys, or even like Jaelen Philips could. The disruption factor isn't higher with BC.

I've always maintained that what Chubb lacks in physical prowess he does make up for with effort. He's a high effort guy for sure.

Here we agree. Chubb is NOT elite. He's not one who by himself, can disrupt an O. He is, though, a good player when teamed up with one or more players who are also good (e.g., JP).

Back
Top Bottom