Clarett & Williams could be out! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clarett & Williams could be out!

What if the NFL dropped the age requirement for entering the draft to 18, then added 2 or more rounds to the draft, but put a ceiling on the draft, if a player is drafted after the 7th round then that player is put into the NFLE under the property of the team that drafted him.

This way the young man can develope his skills and if he shows an ability to play in the NFL he is brought to training camp to try and make the roster. if not then he is sent back to the Europe league to develope.
The NFL would have to expand the NFLE teams and could expose more of the world to American football.

This idea just popped into my head and I'm sure there are some flaws with it, but i'd like to hear some thoughts on it.

Hellion,

That would require big changes to the CBA, so I imagine that it's not anything we would see immediately.

I don't know about the 18 (whether it would hold up or not), but I think this would work otherwise just as long as the 18-20 year olds aren't limited to those final two rounds. If anybody can be taken in any round, that should work.

Originally posted by Rrodr038

Let me first start by saying this comment is assanine. The NFL does not have a responsibility to its workers??? ANY and ALL businesses have the responsibility to ensure its employees are both skilled and mature enough physically and mentally to work there. They are for the most part, also legally responsible for all injuries that may take place in the workplace.

Remember, NFL players are still employees of a private entity and if these players do something which is actionable by a lawsuit, the NFL is also liable for employing them. Legally the NFL might be wrong for not allowing kids straight out of high school jump into the pros but ethically, they are right. They are the anti-MLB in this situation and should be applauded. They aren't playing blind to the harm it can do to their employees (or future employees) just for the extra revenues. They are trying to look out for these kids, not only physically, but for their financial stability in the long term as well.
My comment was not about the company being responsible for the employee, but telling the person that it is in his best interest not to come work there until some random age that was picked out of the air and he should go to another factory and work for shelter & food, which is basically what the NFL is doing with telling kids to attend college when they might not want too.

As for the NFL being ethically right? How are they? Where is the stats that prove a 18 year olds body cannot stand up to the NFL.

I have already proven that the 3 years out of HS is a BS rule made up without any knowledge, since it has nothing to do with age, considering two players younger than Clarett were allowed in the NFL just because they got out of HS earlier than he did.

Are you saying that that same factory should then employ an 8 year old if he applies? The kid already knows that he wants to work in a factory all his life. Why then should he waste his time in school? Should we then hold this eight year old accountable if he ruins his own life in the process?
That breaks child labor laws. Its very simple at some point a person has to take the responsibility for his decision. If the US lawmakers determine that is 21 then I'm with you. However they say it is 18, so at 18 you are an adult, whether you are I agree. If you do not believe an 18 year old is mature enough then go talk to your congressman and see if you can convince him to get the law changed. Until then your and the NFL are wrong

You have to remember that other sports policies in regards to allowing players to go pro should not apply here. Then someone will say "Hey, in baseball, some players get signed at 14. Why shouldn't they be able to do the same in football"??
No baseball players get signed at 14 legally. MLB has a 16 year old rule outside the US.

Sooner or later, it'll come down to just that. Someone will ask "Why should he be forced to go to high school, if all he wants to do is play football"? Then where do you draw the line?
It will never come down to that, because football is such a different spot than the rest.

the kid has now lost his chance to receive a free education to prepare him after his football days are over.

It is not a free education. And remember the NCAA could void all this out by being the organization they claim to be.

In most cases, scholarships cannot be repealed in the event of injury, regardless if they are 1 year or 4 year scholarships, as was the case with McGahee a couple of years ago. Even if this was the case, no institution would go through the PR hell of taking away a kids scholarship after a career injury like that.
Scholarship can be taken away for any reason the school wants or there would be 4 year scholarships today instead of 1 year. The school do not want to make the commitment to the kids. Now you are right about the PR stuff, but the fact remains they can do it.

At the very least, even in this situation, the boy would have at least had some secondary training in something, maybe even enough credits for an associates degree.
Yea, those general studies degree can go a long way.

To counter that situation, let's say this same 18 year old wants to enter the draft, but blows both his knees in the combine. What is he left with then?
Lloyds of Loudon Insurance Company. You take one out before you work out.

Or worse, what if he dies on the field in spring practice or during a game? Who would then be seen as liable? The NFL, who didn't want players that young playing in the first place.
What factor did his youth play in his death? Considering they do the same thing at the college level as they do in the NFL.

What you are not getting this 3 years out of HS is something the NFL just came up with one day sitting in their office. There is no facts to say that a 18 year old body is not ready for the NFL and they will get hurt more. Show some numbers.

The NFL simply does not want to have to develop its own work force. They have a free one in the college ranks and that is what they are trying to protect.

They will lose the Clarett hearing because they have already proven that they believe a 20 year olds body is mature enough.

So a 22 year olds most certainly will be.

The NFL is being a hypocrite on this among several other things, but the simple fact remain. You cannot stop a legal adult from earning a living.

Originally posted by Jimmy James

If this is the NFL's interest, they need to do what Judge Scheindlin suggested in her opinion -- create an objective test for players. If the players pass, they can join the potential workforce. It won't matter if they're 18 or 23. I mean, shouldn't we be equally worried about the 23 year old who just isn't ready? Why should we give him a pass because of his age or even more ridiculously the number of years since his HS graduation?

NFL will never go for that, however it would smack them in theri mouth.

I would like you to expand on this. How is forcing a person who is qualified to enter the workforce into a situation where he has little choice but to enter the corrupt world of college football the ethically right thing to do?

College Sports Corrupt? Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

You have it totally backwards. College baseball looks like a college sport should because there is the option to opt out of the "educational" system and go straight into professional sports. This is the ethical system that results in giving these impressionable young people real choices.
True, baseball develops some of their talent for the kids who might not be able to attend college and not take up a spot for someone who actually might.

You can't seriously be trying to draw this parallel, can you? Employing an 8 year old is a violation of child labor laws. Employing an 18 year old is not. That goes for some extremely hazardous lines of work. Why should the NFL be different?Facts? Logic? Hard to believe.

The market draws the line. If there is a real prodigy of the Freddy Adu class that somebody wants to sign, it should happen, at least subject to the larger statuatory scheme that governs the ability of minors to enter into contracts. We let this happen in every other walk of entertainment (music, acting, other sports). The NFL is not special.
The NFL wants you to believe it is. You know they always look out for what is best for the players.

Wonder how many "Crunch type" videos they sold last year. I love the we will flag it and fine you for it, but then put it in a video and sell. Wonder where that money goes?

Originally posted by Dphins4me

College Sports Corrupt? Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

Well, I do mostly keep up with SEC Football. You know, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. :D

Back
Top Bottom