Classic Dolphins Pictures | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Classic Dolphins Pictures

This was a very famous play from the one game the Dolphins should have lost in 1972...at Minnesota in week 3 as 3.5 point underdogs. Roy Winston nearly broke Csonka in half early in the game. Csonka always said it was the hardest hit he ever took. This clip was prominent several decades ago but I don't see it much anymore so I took a screen grab from the related YouTube video. Many short video summaries from 1972 were uploaded late in 2020. They are from the weekly half hour NFL highlights show narrated by Pat Summerall that was very popular in that era.
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 5.59.23 PM.png

Love those highlight shows on YouTube. I watch them all the time.
I'll instantly remember plays and details I hadn't thought about in 50 years.

Also the point spread. As soon as I think of the game I can remember the betting line. The Herald didn't do much with the betting lines in that era but the Miami News had them every day including several columnists who would refer to the numbers.

There were two guys in Las Vegas who remembered every NFL spread going back decades. They were Dan Gordon and a legendary bettor named The Crab. Gordon was a grinning New York columnist who spoke to me all the time. He had a nickname for everybody in town. Mine was Chocolate Layer Cake. I never asked him why. But we were friends so I always assumed he meant it as positive. The Crab was from Philadelphia, as I recall. Apparently he made a huge bankroll on NBA totals by taking advantage of the extremes when the numbers were soft. Then he left town for years. I didn't meet him until he returned to town in the early '90s. Seemed like a good guy but he didn't say much if he didn't know you well. Our conversations were very brief.

Anyway, Crab and Dan Gordon would sit down and quiz each other on NFL spreads going back decades. It would be, "Packers at Bears 1976" and immediately the other guy would give the correct answer. I never heard a miss.

miami-dolphins-defensive-end-cameron-wake-sacks-cincinnati-bengals-picture-id186511402
Trick or treat

Back
Top Bottom