Clayton instead of Evans? (IF...) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clayton instead of Evans? (IF...)

TeeMoney

Kid A
Club Member
Reaction score
I have been reading so much about O-Line that I've just recently been checking on the receivers. I'm pretty wishy-washy right now, but the injury concerns with Evans have to be a factor. He's got size problems (5'10" 7/8) and he had "extensive" surgery (x2) on his knee. If Miami gets this guy (assuming of course) and he busts his knee, or jams a finger (see Moore last year) everyone will crucify Spielman for picking an "injury prone" player, again. Michael Clayton is a receiver that, from what I've read, scouts can't quite pinpoint. Most analysts have good things to say about him- and it boils down to him maybe not having the greatest of statistical gifts, but is simply a great football player.

Now I'm asking for some of the draft guru's to step in and remark on what film of Clayton they've seen, and if he'd be worth the #20 pick (assuming, of course no O-Line) if Evans is still there also...

I think there is a strong possibility that Clayton could be the guy. Based on what I've seen, he is in that group with Woods, Evans, and Jenkins that could be taken in the 15-30 area of the draft.

One thing Clayton brings is that he is the best blocking receiver in the draft. He is great at blocking for the run down the field. He is also a very good route runner. Probably the third best in the draft behind Rashaun Woods and Larry Fitzgerald. Clayton also has the size that Rick Spielman likes in a receiver.

Well, Evans seems to be over the injury cos he ran something like a 4.3 so the knee most be totaly healed. I doubt that anyone would take Clayton at 20. He's a good player but not a top 20 guy imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Won't matter who is there at WR. Miami will pick OLine or trade down for more picks. At that point none of them will be available. If we stay put it will be Andrews or Carey.

If they did go WR at #20 I believe they would go Rashaun Woods or Clayton. With Clayton perhaps being the slot WR in the three WR sets.
But liek I said, I wouldn't spend too much time thinking of WR. This team has more pressign needs and would adress them with the first pick.

I have Evans and Woods above Clayton. I have Jenkins about even with Clayton.

I think a knee injury (especially as severe as the one Evans had...) in a receiver is signifigant. Even if he can run the drills and display previous speed. Those things are planned, and he's not getting hit or making instinctual cuts and pivots on that leg. Maybe he can come back and have no lingering effects at all... but...

Fin-atic... I think we are all playing with the if's and's or but's here, assuming we know what Spielman will do, and sure that we don't know what Spielman will do or who will be available.

Originally posted by TeeMoney
I think a knee injury (especially as severe as the one Evans had...) in a receiver is signifigant. Even if he can run the drills and display previous speed. Those things are planned, and he's not getting hit or making instinctual cuts and pivots on that leg. Maybe he can come back and have no lingering effects at all... but...

Evans also made some plays on the field after the injury. That's the reason people say he's recovered. It's not like he got hurt at the end of the year and then just came back to run the forty.

Is he ranked highly because of pre-knee injury performance, or is he falling because of post-knee injury performance? Is it too big a risk, or is the reward big enough (reward for a #3 receiver that "may" have some use as a return guy)? I think it's too much risk, maybe, for a #3 guy?

The reason i dont want evans is his size... and of course the injuries... rahaun woods is a mechanically sound wr and is good size descent speed, he is safe pick!

No one is a safe pick except for Robert Gallery (historically speaking of course)

Every word people say about Rashaun Woods was said about David Terrell prior to that draft, except that Woods is known to be a much higher character guy. That's not the reason Terell is failing. The reaosn he is failing is he does not have the foot speed to outrun a guy deep so he plants and drives on all his underneath stuff w/o being scared he'll beat over the top if he guesses wrong.

You can tell me all about cone drills and 20 yard dash's, the reason he won't gain much seperation in the NFL is the above reason I stated IMO. I'm no scout of course, I'm just going off of the fact that I played CB for 15 years and made a small school college team. If I wasn't afraid of the WR's speed, no matter what his agility was like he wouldn't get open often because I didn't respect him deep and would just sit on his underneath route.

You are gonna have to do some quoting, 'cause I ain't followin' ya.

Me I presume?

Someone said Woods was a safe pick. No he's not, noone is in the draft.

A person has used Woods times in the cone drill as a reason he can seperate from a player as well as Jenkins and I refute that due to a lack of foot speed to get the CB off of him at the line.

Then I basically rant a touch about why people think any one drill can accurately and totally measure a players' ability to perform any one function.

Ah, cool.. I had just finished reading the "I want Woods" thread, and then read your post in this thread and got confuzzled. I do understand your message, it's a good one and one we should be wary of.

BTW, is the cone drill the one used for Acceleration? I would figure (and you could help me out here) that if you bump the guy at the line, it would be his acceleration against yours that determined if he got open behind you...???

Back
Top Bottom