Clayton instead of Evans? (IF...) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clayton instead of Evans? (IF...)

The cone drill actually measures both acceleration and agility.

Look at Evans cone drill numbers and prepare to drill BTW. Then add the fact the runs a 4.33, has very strong hands, has a good head on his shoulders, the CC connection, and the fact he played his best against the best and I want the guy on my football team.

It's hard to find stars at the WR position and this is one that we may have staring at us in the face.

I guess I'm just wary of the fact we are a pulled hammy or tweked ankle from super freak and we're back to last years WR corps.

I like Evans (not that you are trying to convince me :) ) I'm just debating aloud between the two (evans/clayton).

I honestly prefer Clayton to Evans, but I just don't see the team taking him at #20. If there is a trade down or if somebody like the Chiefs step up for OGun, I think it could happen. Otherwise, I think he'll be a Chief or a Panther.

Well here's how the WR were rated by a few of the NFL scouts.

Woods only had 6 points?

Fifteen scouts agreed to rate the wide receivers on a 1-to-6 basis for the Journal Sentinel, with six points given for a first-place vote, five points for a second-place vote and so on.

Roy Williams led with 80 points (seven firsts), followed by Fitzgerald with 78 (seven firsts), Mike Williams with 46 (one first), Clayton with 32, Reggie Williams and Evans each with 30, Ohio State's Michael Jenkins with 12, Oklahoma State's Rashaun Woods with six and Fresno State's Bernard Berrian with one.

WR Rankings

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
A person has used Woods times in the cone drill as a reason he can seperate from a player as well as Jenkins and I refute that due to a lack of foot speed to get the CB off of him at the line.

Then I basically rant a touch about why people think any one drill can accurately and totally measure a players' ability to perform any one function.

That person is ME.

Woods is said to not have the "ideal" speed but he knows how to get open using technique with his hands.

I brought up the workout numbers because those agility drills and acceleration drills showed that Rashaun Woods had better ability to get open with acceleration than Larry Fitzgerald and Reggie Williams and Michael Jenkins.

The 40 yard dash is the least of the agilkity workouts looked at IMO.

The Patriots passing scheme is based on WR's ability to get seperation in one on one situation with Brady being max protectedor having WR's spread out and using short passes to get WR's more YAC.

As one draft site said about Rashaun Woods..

"HE may not look like a physiacl tool, but when the game is over you ask yourself how the h*ll did he just torch us??"

Evans excellent leaping ability was 35 inches.
Woods vertical was 39 inches at 6'2".

I do understand why people like Evans over Rashaun Woods, but Michael Jenkins and Clayton and Mike Williams over Rashaun Woods is a complete joke.

IMO, Woods is in the same boat as Reggie Williams right behind Roy Williams and Fitzgerald.

"complete joke"

Rude"If the name fits I'll wear it" by all means... This is the reason people will not take you seriously. There are way too many draft sites that have Clayton over Woods, even more that have Mike Williams over Woods. Now, I don't know what affiliation you have with any of these sites, and I certainly don't know your credentials when it comes to evaluating WR talent- but calling teams (or respected college evaluators) idiots, or jokers, only makes you look like the clown. I respect combine statistics as much as the next guy- but there is more to analyzing a player than numbers. You know that.

Originally posted by TeeMoney
"complete joke"

Rude"If the name fits I'll wear it" by all means... This is the reason people will not take you seriously. There are way too many draft sites that have Clayton over Woods, even more that have Mike Williams over Woods. Now, I don't know what affiliation you have with any of these sites, and I certainly don't know your credentials when it comes to evaluating WR talent- but calling teams (or respected college evaluators) idiots, or jokers, only makes you look like the clown. I respect combine statistics as much as the next guy- but there is more to analyzing a player than numbers. You know that.

"The numbers" are the only things knocking down Rashaun Woods.

On the field play and his "intangibles" are top notch.

Rashaun has shown with his production what he can do and his knocks by most people are being proven wrong by workouts that Rashaun has ALL done.

Rashaun gets knocked down to 8th best WR because of "lack of seperation ability" or ideal speed. Yet Woods beat Clayton in the 40 yard dash and in the 3 cone drill, beat Reggie Williams in the 3 cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle and also beat Jenkins in the 3 cone drill as well as Larry Fitzgerald in the 3 cone drill.

It's mind boggling how far down Rashaun Woods has been dropping after outperforming players that don't receive "seperation" knocks that Rashaun does.

Originally posted by TeeMoney
Is he ranked highly because of pre-knee injury performance, or is he falling because of post-knee injury performance? Is it too big a risk, or is the reward big enough (reward for a #3 receiver that "may" have some use as a return guy)? I think it's too much risk, maybe, for a #3 guy?

He was a highly ranked guy who fell b/c of the injury. He played last year and the injury showed at the beginning. By the end of the season he seemed to have overcome the injury. When he ran the low 40 people cuncluded he was definately all the way back. His ranking in this class (about 5th) is (IMO) where he would have been if no injury had occurred.

Back
Top Bottom