Clinton Port-A-Potty? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clinton Port-A-Potty?

Ricky averaged over 5 yards a carry against the Cheifs, he didn't get too many carries though because we were playing catch up the whole game.

I do have an honest and open question and I'm not trying to imply anything, so please don't be defensive about it. I didn't see last weeks Dolphins. Why was Ricky's average so low last week?

I assume it was because the Dolphins were up and kept giving him the ball in the second half to run down the clock. The Pats were expecting the run and played to stuff it, but the 'fins were content to take the shorter gains and grind down the clock. Is that accurate, or did the Pats have success stopping him?

Originally posted by BroncosFreak
I do have an honest and open question and I'm not trying to imply anything, so please don't be defensive about it. I didn't see last weeks Dolphins. Why was Ricky's average so low last week?

I assume it was because the Dolphins were up and kept giving him the ball in the second half to run down the clock. The Pats were expecting the run and played to stuff it, but the 'fins were content to take the shorter gains and grind down the clock. Is that accurate, or did the Pats have success stopping him?

The Patriots basically went all out to stop Ricky. They put guys in every gap, and ensured that the Phins couldn't get any double team blocking. Ricky really had to fight to get past the line of scrimmage. However, by Miami continuing to run the ball, no matter how low the yardage, the Patriots defense was loosened up for some key play action passes. You are accurate about the Phins' lead being a factor as well.

A few Phin fans thought that we should have continued with the running game against the Chiefs. Although Ricky didn't get too many yards, he was enjoying some good gains (5ypc average). Personally I think that in order beat Denver we must win the TOP battle convincingly, so expect Norv to persevere with the running game, even if it seems to be shut down early.

It all depends on who gets out to an early lead. This will dictate each teams offense. Denver has not allowed a score in the first quarter this year, hopefully we can put some points up early and cause the Dolphins to throw the ball. I am impressed with Williams this year, I love that stiff arm he delivers, but Turner won't stay with the run if the Dolphins fall behind early.

Denver can stop the run because they focus on this. If I was the Dolphins playcaller I would run to set up the play action but primarily I would dink and dunk on Denver all day. For years, this defense has struggled against a west coast ball control passing attack. Sticking to the run, to prove you can run, would surely be the demise of the Fins.

Look for the Broncos to pass underneath. Shanny will show respect for your pair of outstanding DB's and not be looking to give them opportunities to make big plays. Look for a very efficient (translated: boring) gameplan designed to move the sticks. I haven't seen enough of Miamis games to form an opinion on how succesful our running attack will be. I like Portis, he is a big play threat, moreso than our QB and WR's.

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco
Infinsible says:

I don't think everyone is dissing the Broncos running D, so much as saying nobody has slowed US down....."

Care to know why? Look at the defenses you've faced:

NY Jets - their rush defense is ranked last in the NFL
Indy - ranked 29th against the run
Detroit - ranked 21st against the run
KC - ranked 15th against the run
New England - ranked 28th against the run

And it's not a coincidence that Ricky put up his worst numbers so far against the Chefs. After all, they are the only unit ranked above #20 in the NFL.....

Here's a thought.......Did you ever think that one of the reasons that the teams you mentioned are ranked so low against the run is BECAUSE they played THE DOLPHINS?

Originally posted by inFINSible

Here's a thought.......Did you ever think that one of the reasons that the teams you mentioned are ranked so low against the run is BECAUSE they played THE DOLPHINS?

:D :lol:

INfinsible,

You say "Here's a thought.......Did you ever think that one of the reasons that the teams you mentioned are ranked so low against the run is BECAUSE they played THE DOLPHINS?"

This argument doesn't fly because one game doesn't skew the stats that much, even this early in the season. Take the Broncos run defense for example. They shut down both San Diego and San Fran's running games quite convincingly, yet both those teams are still ranked in the top 5 in the league in rushing offenses because they have been able to run all over everyone else.

This would be the case with the teams the Dolphins have faced. If they could have stopped any other team's running attacks so far even a little, Ricky's numbers wouldn't hurt their rankings that much. These teams haven't stopped anyone, thus the poor rankings...

Infinsible says:

I don't think everyone is dissing the Broncos running D, so much as saying nobody has slowed US down....."

Care to know why? Look at the defenses you've faced:

NY Jets - their rush defense is ranked last in the NFL
Indy - ranked 29th against the run
Detroit - ranked 21st against the run
KC - ranked 15th against the run
New England - ranked 28th against the run

And it's not a coincidence that Ricky put up his worst numbers so far against the Chefs. After all, they are the only unit ranked above #20 in the NFL.....

Okay, but you need to get the facts straight. Ricky only had his worst performance against the Chiefs cause he was taken out of the game early in the third quarter. He only had a few carries. He would've reached 100 and maybe we could've won had we stuck with the run. We didn't and that's that. Now as for NE, if any of you actually saw that game you would see that Ricky was getting hit behind the line a scrimmage all day and he still fell forward for a couple. With that in mind, NE stacked the line with 8 guys just to stop Ricky, and hisa piston legs still pushed him forward. Here's the thing. If you stack the line to stop Ricky, we will dissect you with the short dump off passes and play-action. If you try to protect the pass, Ricky will run at will. It's a double edged sword here, so don't take those stats to the bank just yet.

Look at Oakland, only damn reason they have the #1 ranked defense against the run is because they take early leads and force opposing teams to abandon the run. A lot more goes into these stats than you think. Ricky may have had only 105 yards in the last game, but we had the ball for over 39 minutes. If we can manage to do the same against the Broncos, gauranteed they cannot outscore us, if they only have the ball 20 minutes. Either way, out d-line will give Griese fits. Good luck, you're gonna need it.

The Broncos front four have already proven that their front four can stop the run better than most teams front 8....They've successfully shut down two of the top 5 running units in the NFL without having to stack the box and sell out at the expense of the pass. I'm not too worried about Ricky....

Well good.....I'm not too worried about Ricky either. We have run the ball sucessfully in every game and you guys have stopped the run successfully in every game. It doesn't mean a thing come Sunday.

One more thought..... even if you do outrush us, say 147 yards to 42 yards, it still doesn't gaurantee you a victory, does it?;)

"We have run the ball sucessfully in every game and you guys have stopped the run successfully in every game. It doesn't mean a thing come Sunday. "

The difference is this: Miami has run the ball successfully against teams that everyone has run successfully against. Denver has stopped the run against teams that have run all over their other opponents.

Advantage Broncos

And if the Broncos outrush the fins 147 to 42 yards, the only way they'd lose is if they turn the ball over multiple times and the fins don't...Given Ricky's history, I don't see that happening.

Originally posted by BroncosFreak

Thats pretty much what happened. The Patriots did everything they could to stuff Rick, and wanted Jay to beat them. Jay beat them through the air, and Ricky ran over them even when they stacked the line of scrimmage.

"and Ricky ran over them even when they stacked the line of scrimmage."

He managed under 3 yards per carry. That's hardly running over them....

"and Ricky ran over them even when they stacked the line of scrimmage."

He managed under 3 yards per carry. That's hardly running over them....

Did you even watch the game? Ricky was meeting defenders in the backfield and fought for every inch he got. He also ran for 100 yards, so what does that say?

That the Pats can't tackle!

I did watch the game, and it wasn't as much a credit to Ricky as it was a discredit to the Pats defense. They were banged up going into that game and didn't do anything to help their cause...

Back
Top Bottom