Coaches Corner: What you can expect to see with the Dolphins RPO focus this season. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaches Corner: What you can expect to see with the Dolphins RPO focus this season.

I just have one quick question.

Mac Jones also ran the Bama RPO system…will the Pats lean on it as well? And wouldn’t that make the Pats D a little experienced in recognizing keys and defending it?

Yeah I understand that based on some of the comments. I've gone to a lot of RPO coaching clinics although I've never ran the full system like Alabama does. The biggest misconception about RPO is that the Run pass option involves the QB running the football. While some schemes do that, most of the RPO's are based on the RB carrying the ball if they go with the run read.
This is the point where most get confused, myself included …. as several years ago, RPO was indeed most often a QB run option …

This is a breakdown of the RPO by one of the best RPO coaches in football at the Nike Coach of the Year clinic that I've attended almost every year for 32 years.

As big as Alabama is they could easily load the box themselves and just maul defenses up and down the field, but they understand the importance of attacking space and taking advantage of leverage and numbers when you have it. These simple RPO’s are just that, simple! They make it easy on a QB as he has to get a pre-snap read of the numbers in the box, depth of corners, and alignment of apex defenders. Majority of the time, Bama is facing a loaded box which makes it an easy decision for Jones to hit the perimeter with the pass option. This is a great lesson for the rest of us high school and youth football coaches. Even the best team in the nation with a great coaching staff keeps it simple and doesn’t over complicate the offense.

Alabama RPO

RPO = RUN PASS OPTION. Pre snap RPO’s are different than the common post-snap RPO’s where the QB will either give the ball to the back, or throw the football based on the given conflict player. In a pre snap RPO, the QB is going to decide to either throw the ball to one of his receivers, or give the ball to the back based on the look that he gets before the ball is snapped. In a pre-snap RPO, there is no “mesh point” between the QB and the RB like there is in the post-snap RPO’s. Alabama utilized some simple pre-snap RPO plays early against Notre Dame in the semifinal game. Let’s take a look at a few of them.

You will notice that the RPO doesn't require the QB to run the ball. The RPO is either an RB run or a pass to a WR/TE.

All of this stuff can easily be googled all over the net. The commentary you see is from the sites that had the video support.
All of it is 100% reliable in terms of what the RPO is at Alabama and all those that copy them.

If you want to know all the read breakdowns and rules/responsibilities ... here you go:

Thanks for posting

Are we going to use the RPO all the time, or just periodically during a game to give the defense something extra to prepare for?
It'd be really hard for a NFL team to implement a RPO core offense like the one Sark runs. The fact OL cannot block as far downfield as in college makes for longer developing routes difficult to implement. This makes it a riskier play in the NFL which in turn makes it a less than ideal option in some situations.

I just have one quick question.

Mac Jones also ran the Bama RPO system…will the Pats lean on it as well? And wouldn’t that make the Pats D a little experienced in recognizing keys and defending it?
I would think Coach Beli will use everything he thinks will help NE win. Mac Jones was also very good in the RPO scheme at Bama so I'd think its a safe guess we'll see it here and there just like in Miami.

It'd be really hard for a NFL team to implement a RPO core offense like the one Sark runs. The fact OL cannot block as far downfield as in college makes for longer developing routes difficult to implement. This makes it a riskier play in the NFL which in turn makes it a less than ideal option in some situations.
We ran a bunch of it in the first half vs the Falcons. It looked good so far, but not great.

Back
Top Bottom