Coaching Candidate Tracker | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching Candidate Tracker

Can I ask a honest serious question? I don’t get into a lot of the parameters, statistics and breakdowns that A lot of people on here do. Trying to be great football minds and analysts whatever it is you think you are… it’s actually hilarious. I basically come here for information and entertainment. My question now, someone please tell me why in the hell any coach with experience or no experience want to come to this dysfunctional **** show? If you say for experience or money that would be the only reasons that I could think of and I still don’t think that’s enough to come to this Organization.
Well, I believe a good coach can win here. We have a roster that only narrowly missed the playoffs and that is with quite a few injuries. Most of our major players are under contract next season. I think Gesicki and Ogbah are the only starters that are free agents. We have a ton of cap space, the most in the league, so the opportunity is there to go get whatever players a coach feels is necessary. We have the normal amout of draft picks, no great amount has been traded away. It seems as though, based on reports, that we have a GM that gives a coach alot of say in player acquisition, so you would get a real voice in the draft and free agency. Great weather. No state income tax (that can attract players too). Passionate fanbase. An owner that is willing to spend. If Tua is not your guy, you have two first rounders to go "up" to get someone next season.

Seems you come here too just to insult other posters.
I didn’t pick out any one poster and insult anyone. I just said my opinion at the same time asked a serious question. What you consider an insult was me saying… since there’s so many great football mines here why would any coach want to come here? What is here for any coach to want to come here. You can even say a quarterback which that is what I would consider entertainment. Just asking what is here in place besides dysfunction for any man in his right mind to wanna come here. And then ask yourself would you want to come here if you moved in football circles in the NFL? Every single coach that has come here it has ended ugly for the guy. And the team is left in the same boat they are in now.

I'd be shocked if we interview Bienemy in all honesty. From everything I've heard he was not impressive in his interview last time around.

I expect about 3 to 4 more names to pop up.

Of the names that are concrete right now I'd say I'd rank them

Daboll
McDaniel
Quinn
Moore
Joseph

Well, I believe a good coach can win here. We have a roster that only narrowly missed the playoffs and that is with quite a few injuries. Most of our major players are under contract next season. I think Gesicki and Ogbah are the only starters that are free agents. We have a ton of cap space, the most in the league, so the opportunity is there to go get whatever players a coach feels is necessary. We have the normal amout of draft picks, no great amount has been traded away. It seems as though, based on reports, that we have a GM that gives a coach alot of say in player acquisition, so you would get a real voice in the draft and free agency. Great weather. No state income tax (that can attract players too). Passionate fanbase. An owner that is willing to spend. If Tua is not your guy, you have two first rounders to go "up" to get someone next season.
Great post, obviously there’s a lot of flexibility in a lot of areas that you point out. We seem to have somebody that knows how to manage the Cap very well and has continued to do so the past few years. That is unbelievable considering everything else that seems to keep going wrong with this team. I really don’t think they should’ve fired Brian Flores. I think that’s going to set this team back. The players loved him and a great defensive mind. I don’t understand why they go get a bill Belichick disciple and try to instill the patriot Way then get all pissy about the way he wants to run things and fire a good coach. I don’t understand why the coach wants to draft Justin Herbert then he gets over powered by some stupid GM that basically doesn’t know ****. The same GM that let go of Tunsil. The best line man we’ve had in years. The same GM that has not been able to build a offensive line for how long now? The same GM that hasn’t hit on many draft picks since he’s been here. How is the locker room going to be now because apparently all of the players liked Flores very much. With the exception of Tua Who got his way apparently. Like I said great post but this team knows nothing about continuity or at least the owner doesn’t. Now let’s go get another coach if you can find one that wants the job another O coordinator Maybe even another D coordinator another O line coach. It just seems to me like a dysfunctional organization and I as a fan am getting sick and tired of it. But as they say… don’t worry about what you can’t control, It is what it is. At the end of the day it’s hard to be a fan of this team.

It’s one thing if a coach is proven, like Harbaugh. But when it comes to assistants, we can pretend to have preferences but we aren’t in the interviews. We have no idea how they look internally leading a team, i.e, how they handle players and whether they have presence in front of the players. We don’t know who they are identifying for coordinators and other assistants. We don’t know what they say about coaching philosophy, etc. Are they flexible or rigid with what they run? Some of this will come out over time, but in the meantime there really isn’t enough information to lose your mind over a candidate. For all we know, Mike McDaniel or Kellen Moore interviews brilliantly with great answers to all of the above.

One thing I don’t want is a Gase type offensive geek who hides his head in the play sheet and doesn’t really coach the full team. I want a guy who is fully invested in all units and can lead a total full team, with good coordinators specializing in each side of the ball. The job is too big for most to try to effectively be the play calling offensive nerd while the defense needs attention. My preference is to stay far away from this nonsense. It’s one thing for an assistant to have some expertise on one side of the ball. But it’s too far when a guy like Gase is off sitting down with his head buried in a play sheet while the D is out there. You’d like a head coach with an overall philosophy that applies to all units.

I also don’t want a rigid guy trying to force fit his scheme into every situation whether his personnel fits or how the other team attacks. Shula ran power running with Csonka and a high powered passing attack with Marino. He also adjusted to the strengths of a backup QB when a starter got hurt. That’s an extreme example but you can’t be so rigid that you think there is only one way to win. You have to be able to adjust and be flexible enough to take advantage of an opponent’s weakness.

It’s hard to find a good coach who is capable of all of these things.

Last edited:
Great post, obviously there’s a lot of flexibility in a lot of areas that you point out. We seem to have somebody that knows how to manage the Cap very well and has continued to do so the past few years. That is unbelievable considering everything else that seems to keep going wrong with this team. I really don’t think they should’ve fired Brian Flores. I think that’s going to set this team back. The players loved him and a great defensive mind. I don’t understand why they go get a bill Belichick disciple and try to instill the patriot Way then get all pissy about the way he wants to run things and fire a good coach. I don’t understand why the coach wants to draft Justin Herbert then he gets over powered by some stupid GM that basically doesn’t know ****. The same GM that let go of Tunsil. The best line man we’ve had in years. The same GM that has not been able to build a offensive line for how long now? The same GM that hasn’t hit on many draft picks since he’s been here. How is the locker room going to be now because apparently all of the players liked Flores very much. With the exception of Tua Who got his way apparently. Like I said great post but this team knows nothing about continuity or at least the owner doesn’t. Now let’s go get another coach if you can find one that wants the job another O coordinator Maybe even another D coordinator another O line coach. It just seems to me like a dysfunctional organization and I as a fan am getting sick and tired of it. But as they say… don’t worry about what you can’t control, It is what it is. At the end of the day it’s hard to be a fan of this team.
Not entirly true:

▪ There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that. But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way.

A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that “he doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.” When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: “Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.” The player had no such intentions.

But multiple sources said he treated players different ways; a veteran such as Jason McCourty wouldn’t be treated with that same heavy hand. “He was stern with some but joked around with some guys,” the source said. “It was hard to read him.” ▪ One veteran complained that Flores would pass him in the halls and never say hello, never even acknowledge his presence. He asked his friend why he wanted to work in a place like this.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article256841207.html#storylink=cpy

Also, it's been reported over and over Flores was all in on Tua during the draft.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if we interview Bienemy in all honesty. From everything I've heard he was not impressive in his interview last time around.

I expect about 3 to 4 more names to pop up.

Of the names that are concrete right now I'd say I'd rank them

Daboll
McDaniel
Quinn
Moore
Joseph
Chances Hackett gets added to that list with his links to other HCs and offensive philosophy?

It’s one thing if a coach is proven, like Harbaugh. But when it comes to assistants, we can pretend to have preferences but we aren’t in the interviews. We have no idea how they look internally leading a team, i.e, how they handle players and whether they have presence in front of the players. We don’t know who they are identifying for coordinators and other assistants. We don’t know what they say about coaching philosophy, etc. Are they flexible or rigid with what they run. Some of this will come out over time, but in the meantime there really isn’t enough information to lose your mind over a candidate. For all we know,
Mike McDaniel or Kellen Moore interviews brilliantly with great answers to all of the above.

One thing I don’t want is a Gase type offensive geek who hides his head in the play sheet and doesn’t really coach the full team. I want a guy who is fully invested in all units and can lead a total full team, with good coordinators specializing in each side of the ball. The job is too big for most to try to effectively be the play calling offensive nerd while the defense needs attention. My preference is to stay far away from this nonsense. It’s one thing for an assistant to have some expertise on one side of the ball. But it’s too far when a guy like gase is off sitting down with his head buried in a play sheet while the D is out there.

Ross hired Philbin and Gase. Odds are that he will hire another loser

Chances Hackett gets added to that list with his links to other HCs and offensive philosophy?

Out of curiosity, who the **** is Hackett…

We have been down this road before…Philbin

The only person I would take from Green Bay is Rodgers period!

Out of rumored names, my rankings are

1. Pederson (by a long long long long shot)
2. McDaniel
3. Moore
4. Bowles
5. Hackett
6. Leftwich
7. Daboll
8. O’Connell
9. Quinn

Back
Top Bottom