Coaching change winners | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching change winners

But what makes them more objective than Football Outsiders or even ESPN? They are making money off of this as well.

Well like I said above, those data are supposed to represent the consistent application of criteria for determining "pressure" across the league, which I believe is much more rigorous than whatever we can come up with here.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

I have no problem with that rating, by the way. It places Tannehill squarely in the average range in the league with regard to the numerical variable that ranked him 7th, which isn't significantly inconsistent with all the other objective data available regarding his performance.

But what makes them more objective than Football Outsiders or even ESPN? They are making money off of this as well.
That stuff is all good, as well, but they don't offer the OL pressure stats to my knowledge.

That stuff is all good, as well, but they don't offer the OL pressure stats to my knowledge.

I'm not sure how accurate an OL pressure stat that doesn't include sacks in the equation can be.

What about pressures that don't result in sacks?

Right, but they should be counted together when trying to measure overall pressure. As I mentioned before, a sack is pressure that connects to the target.

Holy crap, I`ve seen someone post that he thought the OL was good enough in 2013...If that isn't a troll job, than I don't know what is...

Holy crap, I`ve seen someone post that he thought the OL was good enough in 2013...If that isn't a troll job, than I don't know what is...
attachment.php

Right, but they should be counted together when trying to measure overall pressure. As I mentioned before, a sack is pressure that connects to the target.
Well I'm sure PFF includes plays that end in sacks in its calculation of pressure. The point is that there are lots of plays in which the QB is pressured that don't end in sacks, and it's important to tally those, as well, if you're talking about measuring offensive line play.

Well I'm sure PFF includes plays that end in sacks in its calculation of pressure. The point is that there are lots of plays in which the QB is pressured that don't end in sacks, and it's important to tally those, as well, if you're talking about measuring offensive line play.

A number on paper doesn't tell the whole story, though. Almost every play has some degree of pressure since teams very rarely don't rush anybody. What qualifies as a sufficient amount of pressure to be counted?

A number on paper doesn't tell the whole story, though. Almost every play has some degree of pressure since teams very rarely don't rush anybody. What qualifies as a sufficient amount of pressure to be counted?
What difference does it make, as long as that definition is being applied reliably across the league?

What difference does it make, as long as that definition is being applied reliably across the league?

Because the skill level of that particular offensive line isn't taken into account. Against a less skilled OL, a smaller amount of pressure is going to be more effective. This may not be accounted for due to their bias of sticking to an arbitrary cutoff that they created. As I said, numbers on paper don't tell the whole story.

Because the skill level of that particular offensive line isn't taken into account. Against a less skilled OL, a smaller amount of pressure is going to be more effective. This may not be accounted for due to their bias of sticking to an arbitrary cutoff that they created. As I said, numbers on paper don't tell the whole story.
I'm assuming that "pressure" is defined as something the quarterback is experiencing during a play, not something the offensive line is experiencing. These are quarterback pressures we're talking about.

I'm assuming that "pressure" is defined as something the quarterback is experiencing during a play, not something the offensive line is experiencing. These are quarterback pressures we're talking about.

Isn't pressure on the QB a direct result of the play of the OL?

Back
Top Bottom