College Quarterbacks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

College Quarterbacks

Tatonka

New Poppa
Reaction score
thought i would share my thoughts.. since you guys are in the market for a qb just like us.. you may be interested.

Click this link and take a look at these numbers in a seperate window so you can flip back and forth...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/stats/playersort/NCAAF/QB

what is the big knock on BJ Symons? I know he is a little short, but he didnt exactly play a cream puff schedule, and threw for almost 6000 yards.. are you kidding me?? 52 tds?? the only team he struggled against all year was oklahoma, but their defense made almost everyone in the country look bad. he beat up bad on ncst, texas, okst, and several others.. wow.. i guess i just never realized his numbers were THAT high.

also, a couple more notes.

anyone that is talking about Kody Pickett is just plain out of their gord... i dont care what size he has or how strong his arm is.. 3000 yards, 15 tds to 13 picks is a friggen disgrace. and he even had reggie williams to throw to. it is funny, when i read things about reggie williams, they preface his stats with "even with the shakey qb situation".

looking at Phillip Rivers numbers just makes me realize how bad i want this kid. i really just dont see why he is not considered right there with big ben and eli, based on his performance last year and over his entire career. look at his completion percentage.. sick.

I never realized Eli Manning was 6-5. he is a big guy. decent numbers, but not great. would love to have him though. man, can you get a better petigree? seriously.

Big Ben Rothelissnogginlopsogimmerberger should not be drafted based soley on his name. While he looks like the prototypical qb with all the right tools, I just dont see what makes him better than Rivers. boy, he is a big man though - 6-5, almost 250lbs.. that puts him in the Culpepper range. that is impressive. but for the people that will say that bj symons didnt play anyone.. man.. click on big bens name and take a look at his performances.. the teams he played against were dog poo.. seriously. I have decided, i dont want him. at all.

Matt Schaub one thing i noticed, while he didnt have great numbers, partly because he missed 3 games.. he was the only person who even came close to rivers completion percentage. impressive. i still dont want him. Waahoo piece of crap. Go VaTech (sorry, i am an alum).

other guys to look at... take a look at Clausens numbers. not bad at all. and he has good size as well. good late round value. same with Jeff Smoker, seriously.. i like that kid alot, and if he is past his off the field drinking issues, which he seems to be, and has convinced his coaches and teammates, then he is worth a pick. had he not had those issues, he would be considered a first day qb for sure. he remindes me alot of rivers. he played very very well this year.

anyways.. just thought some of you may want to see this.. as i know that alot of you may just be going on what you hear as opposed to the cold hard stats.. i am a person that basis alot of my opinion on numbers. what have you done.. not what can you do.. i know that doesnt always translate, for say a guy like sam adams.. but in certain positions, like qb, i truely think it does.

anyways.. there you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kliff Kingsbury put up similar numbers Texas Tech last year..... which is why Symons is considered a product of the system, since they use a lot 4 and 5 receiver sets

i understand that he is a product of the system.. but 6000 yards.. good gaud... that is ridiculous.. he has to have some talent to put up numbers like that.. that is undeniable.

Well BJ Symons is not to be compared really to Kingsbury because even Kingsbury had numbers that were down to earth compared to Symons.

Symons' production though did come in a system that was set up for the QB to look like King Kong. Naturally any Texas Tech QB should draw comparisons to NC State QB Rivers. Both in hercules-QB offenses. Symons was so good that the coach decided to re-write the book and actually have his QB toss it upwards of 55 or 60 times a game. The two big differences to look at I think are yard per attempt, and interceptions. Rivers was the focus of the offense but took care of the football and he has done that his whole 4 year career. Symons tossed 22 interceptions, which is like 2 a game. Symons had a 3.1% interception percentage...not terrible but not to be compared with Rivers' 1.4% INT perctg. And while Symons did have a good 8.1 yard per attempt, Rivers had a 9.3 yard per attempt that was higher than anyone in Division 1-A outside of Ryan Dinwiddie of Boise State (9.8). Also, Texas Tech played some good defenses but I think NC State played better ones...and when Rivers went up against the toughest D's he played very well. Oh btw, Symons lighting up NC State's D is nothin special cuz NC States defense blew chunks IMO.

Why is it that virtually NO website has yards/attempt recorded correctly? They always do yards/completion and call it "Yds/Att"

Originally posted by Tatonka

Big Ben Rothelissnogginlopsogimmerberger should not be drafted based soley on his name. While he looks like the prototypical qb with all the right tools, I just dont see what makes him better than Rivers. boy, he is a big man though - 6-5, almost 250lbs.. that puts him in the Culpepper range. that is impressive. but for the people that will say that bj symons didnt play anyone.. man.. click on big bens name and take a look at his performances.. the teams he played against were dog poo.. seriously. I have decided, i dont want him. at all.

I love these arguements about Ben not playing anyone. These are the EXACT same teams that Pennington and Leftwich played against in college. Gee, are they any good? BTW BG was a top 25 team and Miami beat them twice.

Jerry Rice went to a small school and didn't play against big name colleges. Man I'm glad the Dolphins didn't take a change on that guy.

Re: Re: College Quarterbacks

Originally posted by Little Danny

I love these arguements about Ben not playing anyone. These are the EXACT same teams that Pennington and Leftwich played against in college. Gee, are they any good? BTW BG was a top 25 team and Miami beat them twice.

Jerry Rice went to a small school and didn't play against big name colleges. Man I'm glad the Dolphins didn't take a change on that guy.

yeah, you make an excellent point about leftwich and pennington.. the same could be said about the armstrength issues when you talk about a guy like pennington as well, meaning arm strength definately isnt everthing....

point taken though about those guys.. i guess that the thing is, they are rare cases.. leftwich still hasnt proven to be a great qb by any means.. and while i would love to have pennington, he hasnt exactly been unstoppable either... but without a doubt, big ben could be a beast.. so we shall see.

again.. great post.

Chad Pennington is the most accurate QB in the league, bar none. In 2002 something ridiculous like less than 10% of his passes were classified by STATS Inc as "poor throws" Pennington is one of the best QBs in the league and is about to get paid like it. The Jets are starting negotiations on an extension and it is rumored that the extension is going to be right up there in line with the 115 million dollar contract that McNabb got.

Fiedler's workin on like a 20% in poor throw department.

You're putting way too much stock in stats. Virginia runs a short passing offense where 50% of their passes are to their RBs & TEs. Schaub didn't do too well at Senior Bowl week.

Pickett is good, if you kept up with Washington football you'd know that they had a new offensive coordinator & QB coach this year. He lost the familiarity with the offense in the switch that he locked onto Williams a lot. Since you're so enamored with college #s take a look at his junior statistics. Pickett has the size, arm, & is the fastest of the top QBs. He needs to work on three things: the hitch in his throwing motion which gives away when he's throwing the ball, looking defenders away, & not putting so much air on his 75 yard deep ball.

Thank goodness you aren't part of our front office or we would have never drafted Marino who was 202 of 341 for 2251 yards 17TDs 22ints his senior season.

Stats in college mean JACK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by SMadison29
You're putting way too much stock in stats. Virginia runs a short passing offense where 50% of their passes are to their RBs & TEs. Schaub didn't do too well at Senior Bowl week.

Pickett is good, if you kept up with Washington football you'd know that they had a new offensive coordinator & QB coach this year. He lost the familiarity with the offense in the switch that he locked onto Williams a lot. Since you're so enamored with college #s take a look at his junior statistics. Pickett has the size, arm, & is the fastest of the top QBs. He needs to work on three things: the hitch in his throwing motion which gives away when he's throwing the ball, looking defenders away, & not putting so much air on his 75 yard deep ball.

Thank goodness you aren't part of our front office or we would have never drafted Marino who was 202 of 341 for 2251 yards 17TDs 22ints his senior season.

Stats in college mean JACK.

another great post. thanks for the critique... i didnt mean to imply that i was impressed with schaubs performance, or that i wanted him.. in fact, i thought i said pretty clearly that i didnt want him..

i didnt know that pickett had to deal with those issues either.. that said, i am still not a fan of his. there are alot of qbs that i like more than him.

and wow is all i can say about marino's senior year numbers.. who would have guessed.. but marino was obviously a rare species.. he was the best that ever was clearly, so those numbers were an aberation his senior year.

still great info guys.

tell me.. what do you guys think about smoker and bradley van pelt?

Thanks for not taking any of that personal.

I'm not a Washington fan by any means but I like the Pickett & Reggie combo. The fact that Pickett outgunned NFL QB Jake Plummer when Pickett was a senior in high school blows me away. He has the talent but just needs to work a few things out.

I read that you didn't want Schaub, I was just pointing out that their offense is based on a lot of short passing to secondary players.

tell me.. what do you guys think about smoker and bradley van pelt?

If it got that far & we still didn't have our young QB I wouldn't even bother. Van Pelt is a tough SOB, but he was an option QB & needs a lot of work. Smoker would be my choice of the two.

Lemme get this straight. Schaub sucks because he did well in a good system but struggled at the Senior Bowl. But, Pickett is awesome because he sucked in a tough situattion his senior year, and also struggled at the senior bowl?

Cuz Pickett really didn't do so hot at the Senior Bowl, not very impressive at all. Harris and Navarre were more impressive in fact I thought and thats sayin a lot. The performances at the Senior Bowl I thought went somethin like Rivers, Rivers, Rivers, Losman, Rivers, Navarre, Harris, Pickett, Schaub.

Chad and Byron both finished school more time to learn to me that makes a difference. It may not matter who knows Ben may be awesome in 2005.

Back
Top Bottom