Collins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Collins

miland

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So Collin's agent says he will re-enter the draft in 2016. Why not select him with one of our 5th's and assuming he gets cleared from the murder charges, you pay him like a second/third round player. Are you required to pay him along the lines of a 5th round player or do teams have the flexibility to do what they want? If he sits for a year, he's probably not going to do better than a 3rd round pick next year so why not accept a decent offer now and start playing and the clock ticking on a new contract. In doing this, we might just get lucky and get the equivalent of a second 1st rounder, at a position of need, for a throw away pick - we sure don't need 4 fives.

talk to Beard.... hope he is on still... he had awesome thoughts on a thing like this. i liked a lot... worth an attempt if anything.

cause Collins is even saying if he wasnt draft today he wasnt going to sign a contract at all... basically would have to re-enter the draft next year.

If a team drafts Collins they own his rights.

It would make sense to draft him and work out an incentives-based contract that will pay him higher than draft position, due to extenuating circumstances. And give him a chance to earn 2nd round pay in year two, etc.

He'd be WAY smarter to sign such a contract than to hold out for a year -- with no guarantee of being able to be drafted again.

LD

Absolutely LD

At this point, its a crapshoot. We have FOUR 5ths rounders, use one of them to draft Collins and offer him decent pay. He should know if he plays well whereever he eventually goes will pay him a lot..

Otherwise, our only option for definite starters is trading Mathis/Boykin at the moment, but does Chip really want an extra 5th at this point? I bet a late pick like that is more of a bargaining chip...

Absolutely LD

At this point, its a crapshoot. We have FOUR 5ths rounders, use one of them to draft Collins and offer him decent pay. He should know if he plays well whereever he eventually goes will pay him a lot..

Otherwise, our only option for definite starters is trading Mathis/Boykin at the moment, but does Chip really want an extra 5th at this point? I bet a late pick like that is more of a bargaining chip...

Totally a crapshoot. But I'll say this: If Collins slides into the 6th or 7th round or UDFA, then teams have more info than they're letting on.

And Chip would have dealt Mathis already, if he truly wanted rid of him, imo.

Mathis would look great in a Phins uniform, though!

LD

the nfl says he cannot reenter draft so he is pretty screwed

Not really. If he goes undrafted, he becomes a free agent. If he's innocent, he'll likely be cleared by the police after a few months.

As a free agent who has been completely cleared, he'll have multiple teams bidding for his services, and he might end up signing a bigger contract than if he was drafted.

no they said he cant enter the supplemental draft..... i think he can still enter next year draft..... but i could be wrong on that.

yes? no?

no they said he cant enter the supplemental draft..... i think he can still enter next year draft..... but i could be wrong on that.

yes? no?

If he gets drafted, then he can wait, and re-enter next years draft.

If he goes completely undrafted, then he becomes a free agent, and can sign with any team (like how we signed undrafted free agents Damien Williams and Chris McCain).

Either way, if he's innocent, and cleared by the police, then next year he'll be signing a big multi-million dollar contract. His career will have been on hold for 1 year.

Last edited by a moderator:

yes? no?

I think if a player refuses to sign with the team that drafts them they can re-enter the draft the next year. I know players like Bo Jackson and John Elway used to threaten to take that course of action if a team drafted them that they didn't want to play for.

Security advisors get paid big money for their investigations. They find things out, get inside info. If no one has gotten him by now. There is A LOT going on with him and his issue.

Our last 5th rounder should be for him.

If a team drafts Collins they own his rights.

It would make sense to draft him and work out an incentives-based contract that will pay him higher than draft position, due to extenuating circumstances. And give him a chance to earn 2nd round pay in year two, etc.

He'd be WAY smarter to sign such a contract than to hold out for a year -- with no guarantee of being able to be drafted again.

LD

False. If they draft him and he refuses to sign a contract, the team that drafted him is out a draft pick and does not hold his right. He can then apply for the following draft.

The CBA states that any player who does not sign with the team that drafts him can be selected by any team the following draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-plans-to-enter-16-draft-if-not-picked-friday

Im all for it. Getter done.

Blow a 5th on him if it works out we're geniuses if it doesn't ...cry ourselves to sleep

with the new CBA and rookie pool the money he gets will depend on the round he gets picked, so there is no extra money for him

Back
Top Bottom