Commentary: Just say NO to Ty Law | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Just say NO to Ty Law

You know Chuckcole, I agree with just about everything you said. The only difference in opinion I have is that I would take Law at a one year, 2 million dollar deal. Dont let Saban fool you, CB is a need for us. If Daniels plays safety like some think he might, that gives us Madison, Howard, Edwards, and maybe Rountree. I am not real comfortable with Rountree playing the dime corner. Buckley may be a possibility at the vet minimum, but if Law is healthy there really is no comparing the two. I wont call him a shut down corner because I dont believe there is a "shutdown corner" in the NFL anymore, but he is still a very good player. I am just not willing to tie up alot of money in a deal with him.

GreenMonster said:
Best Ty Law post yet.. This sums up all of my thoughts on the subject.. Like a cliff notes for the book Sign Law? NO, NO

Thanks. And you can quote me if you'd like. :D

Nicky Napoleon said:
You know Chuckcole, I agree with just about everything you said. The only difference in opinion I have is that I would take Law at a one year, 2 million dollar deal. Dont let Saban fool you, CB is a need for us. If Daniels plays safety like some think he might, that gives us Madison, Howard, Edwards, and maybe Rountree. I am not real comfortable with Rountree playing the dime corner. Buckley may be a possibility at the vet minimum, but if Law is healthy there really is no comparing the two. I wont call him a shut down corner because I dont believe there is a "shutdown corner" in the NFL anymore, but he is still a very good player. I am just not willing to tie up alot of money in a deal with him.

Yeah, I think a lot of people feel like we do. The only real difference is how much one is willing to accept as an offer. Even I could waver a little bit.

I would surely take Law for 1 year 2million but what are the chances that he takes that offer. I am sure some team will offer him a decent 4 year deal..

GreenMonster said:
I would surely take Law for 1 year 2million but what are the chances that he takes that offer. I am sure some team will offer him a decent 4 year deal..

Not likely, thats why I dont think he will be a Fin.

chuckcole said:
Yeah, I think a lot of people feel like we do. The only real difference is how much one is willing to accept as an offer. Even I could waver a little bit.

If the 2 million is all base salary, to me the risk reward is well worth it. The only thing is I am sure he is going to want a signing bonus, and thats where I walk away. If he breaks it again or isnt healthy there would be no penalty for cutting him.

I'd take him for 2 years at $2.5 mil per, provided his health were spotless.

I know you all want to go vet minimum at corner, but you get what you pay for. If we could sign someone of Law's caliber for half of what we were paying Surtain, we'd be nuts not to at least consider it.

That said, I don't think Law will take even that big of a paycut. If not, good riddance.

DrAstroZoom said:
I'd take him for 2 years at $2.5 mil per, provided his health were spotless.

I know you all want to go vet minimum at corner, but you get what you pay for. If we could sign someone of Law's caliber for half of what we were paying Surtain, we'd be nuts not to at least consider it.

That said, I don't think Law will take even that big of a paycut. If not, good riddance.
:yeahthat:

BringBackShula said:
Is Ty Law cheaper than Surtain??

Again, like the Ricky situation, I trust Saban.

Assuming Law is deemed recovered and ready to go this season, would you rather have Patrick Surtain......or Ty Law and Matt Roth?

It seems to me getting a second rounder for Surtain(which of course became Matt Roth) and signing a healthy Law is a coup.

My guess is if we do sign him it won't be a long term deal, it might even be only a one year deal.

Either way, again, I trust Saban.

Also, let me add since you addressed it, Travis Daniels coming right from Sabans LSU defense gives him an excellent chance at starting.

ohall said:
I don't see that. If 4 million a year is the # that means we gained a 2nd round pick and roughly 2 million in cap space for discharging Surtain and bringing in Law. I like that concept a lot!

Yes, it sounds great but there's something called a salary cap that we're about 1 or 2 million under. How do you suppose we make that move , pay the man 4 mil AT LEAST, and stay under that cap?? Concept doesn't make much sense eh?

BringBackShula said:
Yes, it sounds great but there's something called a salary cap that we're about 1 or 2 million under. How do you suppose we make that move , pay the man 4 mil AT LEAST, and stay under that cap?? Concept doesn't make much sense eh?

According to Finheaven's salary cap page, as of 4/22/05, we're approximately $8.9 million under the cap.

Every, and I mean every roster transaction they have made over that time span has worked. You can't point to one move they made that was a mistake. Not one, which brings me to my point.
If the Patriots feel Law isn't worth the money or is the same player he once was, why doubt the Patriots? They haven't been wrong in 4 years, now all of a sudden on Ty Law they are making a mistake? I don't think so.

It's definately an interesting point of view (I can name only name you one player that didn't work out as planned for the Pats, Rosey Colvin, he was a major acquisition in 2003 and blew out his knee the following year.) but I believe the major reason why Ty Law was released was because of contract demands and not because of a lack of productivity. The injury certainly played a role but if we can get Ty Law at a discount, I'd be all for it.

Also would you apply the same logic to Traylor ? Because the Pats just released him he's as good as done ?

Calling Miami a "disaster", and a project with hope only in two to three years is a bit hasty. Just look to last year and San Diego. Manning didn't want to go there, and the draft commentators all were saying how sorry a franchise San Diego was. They were picked to finish last in almost all publications, and were at the bottom of the ludicrous "power polls". What happened? A young QB came of age and they were a legitimate Super Bowl threat.

Well, if our QB can come of age as well, maybe we could do some damage. In the NFL, with the right leadership, it is possible to turn it around in one year. Not likely, but possible.

Back
Top Bottom