Commentary: Just say NO to Ty Law | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Just say NO to Ty Law

BlueFin said:
Again, like the Ricky situation, I trust Saban.

Assuming Law is deemed recovered and ready to go this season, would you rather have Patrick Surtain......or Ty Law and Matt Roth?

It seems to me getting a second rounder for Surtain(which of course became Matt Roth) and signing a healthy Law is a coup.

My guess is if we do sign him it won't be a long term deal, it might even be only a one year deal.

Either way, again, I trust Saban.

Also, let me add since you addressed it, Travis Daniels coming right from Sabans LSU defense gives him an excellent chance at starting.
nuff said.

phinman1 said:
Well, if our QB can come of age as well, maybe we could do some damage. In the NFL, with the right leadership, it is possible to turn it around in one year. Not likely, but possible.

That's why I'd like to see Law sign a fiscally responsible 2-year deal. I see the Dolphins hitting .500 this year and making a deep playoff run the next.

DrAstroZoom said:
That's why I'd like to see Law sign a fiscally responsible 2-year deal. I see the Dolphins hitting .500 this year and making a deep playoff run the next.
thats my view...

If Ty wants a 5 year deal he can have it... aslong as it is along the line of Carter's.

If we were to sign Ty then Madison and Law is a nice CB pairing... but there is no guarantee that Sam is back next year.

Law's gonna get paid and I sure hope we aren't the guys to do the paying. Old, coming off an FOOT injury, expensive. He's a was a great player, not so sure now.

Pink_Dove said:
It's definately an interesting point of view (I can name only name you one player that didn't work out as planned for the Pats, Rosey Colvin, he was a major acquisition in 2003 and blew out his knee the following year.) but I believe the major reason why Ty Law was released was because of contract demands and not because of a lack of productivity. The injury certainly played a role but if we can get Ty Law at a discount, I'd be all for it.

Also would you apply the same logic to Traylor ? Because the Pats just released him he's as good as done ?

colvin did work out well last year and this coming year he should be in full stride......

u guys are still talking about a guy who cant even make a serious cut yet in practice, sure he passed a physical but those are easy to pass when you dont have to make cuts....

he had a very serious break in his foot, one that very few players have recovered from and they were in their 20's not 30's like law is.

If it's a matter of signing Law or signing Traylor, then forget Law. But I don't think it is. So long as we're not committing serious guaranteed money, I think Law would be a great signing. Our safeties are going to be a liability, and we're adding a lot of young players in the front seven. Having Ty Law, even at 80% of what he was, at one corner would give the guys a bigger margin for error.

Personally, I think he's still got game. A Pro Bowler? Probably not, but I think he's entering that stage of his career where he's still really good and has something to prove, much like Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders did.

chuckcole said:
The argument, as I read it, is that (1) we're trying to get younger on defense; (2) we're trying to shift some of the salary cap investment from the defense to the offense; and (3) we're rebuilding, so why would we need to get a pro-bowl corner anyway. Signing Ty Law does not support any of these points, unless under certain circumstances.

Poole is likely lost for the season. He's got a minimum of 4-6 months rehab (based on medical recommendations on this type of injury), and there would definitely be questions on how effective he could be afterwards. This would open the door for a one-year "stop-gap" solution and may force us to stray somewhat from the "get younger" argument.

The only way that I think we would sign Ty Law is if it's a short term, low money contract -- like a one year, at or near minimum contract. I don't ever see Law signing this kind of deal, and thus, I doubt very seriously that Law will be coming to Miami. But, if for some strange reason, Law would sign such a deal, then the salary cap impact would be minimal and thus could still allow for money to shift to the offensive side of the ball.

I also don't believe too much in that we're rebuilding. I still believe that we have a lot of talent, we just need someone to focus that talent in a positive way. I think Saban and the coaching staff are definitely capable of doing that as opposed to our previous staff. I honestly believe that if this can be done, we could at least double our wins from last season.

So, all in all, I only support a Ty Law signing if it's a short term, low dollar contract. Because if this isn't the case, then yes, it violates the very valid points in the argument. I also think that there's no way that Law would go for this kind of deal. So, it's a mute point.

That's the one. No need to say anything else....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Back
Top Bottom