Commentary: When the Fins Need a New Coach, They Should Take a Lesson from Redskins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: When the Fins Need a New Coach, They Should Take a Lesson from Redskins

He didn't even have to move. I think for his family it was a simple decision.
Nah just from watching his introductory press conference, this guy sounded like a 49ers fan. The guy sounded reborn when he was hired by the 49ers. It was like his dream job.

He could have came here and made a lot more money, but he wouldn't have been happy with the job.

i agree with this.

all of the people clammoring for some old retread are going to be very dissappointed when ONCE again we are rebuilding. . this team will be perpetually bad if we keep trying this instant win retreads thinking they are football gods. Jimmy Johson - that got us into this mess in the first place.

in college the "program" means everything and due to recruiting, Head Coaches are the head of the "program" but in the pros you need a good GM and good owner to develop a "program" and the HC is simply an employee in the program - not the architect of it.

sooner or later these owners will realize that these know it all "buy the groceries" ex-head coaches are not the answer. i just hope the dolphins aren't the last schmucks to examplify it.

I want a young and hungry coach. It's too bad Harbaugh made up his mind about the 49ers, obviously we could have paid him more but the guy had Burgandy and Gold going through his veins. Nothing was going to pull him away from his dream job.

I find it interesting how a good coach can turn what was suppose to be a bust first pick into a successful NFL QB, Smith after 4 or 5 years as a failure is doing very well. The GM has nothing to do with Smith turn around.

Speaking of coaching it is interesting that we went after Jim Harbaugh who is winning from what I understand with a strong ground attack and Sporano was told he needs to move to the spread offense and pass the ball. San Francisco is 7-1 running and we are 2-7 passing. Just saying.

Nah just from watching his introductory press conference, this guy sounded like a 49ers fan. The guy sounded reborn when he was hired by the 49ers. It was like his dream job.

He could have came here and made a lot more money, but he wouldn't have been happy with the job.

All family related. A fact a lot of people don't know is that Harbaugh had an agreement in place to become the Michigan Head Coach, but between his wife being pregnant with a kid, 3 of his other kids not being in college yet, and his oldest son Jay going to Oregon State (to become a coach ironically enough) he didn't want to uproot the family, but he wanted a new challenge as all indications are that he saw Stanford as a stepping stone job.

When at the end of the day the most TALENT on the field wins ballgames...Coaches may only win 3-4 games a year by themselves from gameplanning but the players themselves win games.

GM are way more important then the coach.

Speaking of coaching it is interesting that we went after Jim Harbaugh whos winning from what I understand with a strong ground attack and Sporano was told he needs to move to the spread offense and pass the ball. San Francisco is 7-1 running and we are 2-7 passing. Just saying.

Go look at Alex Smiths numbers from that game not only that but the season..The guy played a Great game plus take away the Int that went through Gins hands off his helmet and got picked off.

This team is well balanced on bothsides of the ball.Its not just running the ball although they do it well but Alex Smiths qb rating is #7 right now.

I was listening to Fox Sports radio a few weeks ago, and they brought an interesting point up. When a coach has extended success in the NFL, they start to believe that it's all their system and not the players at all. Now good coaching can make players look really good, but you need to be able to put players in a good position to succeed. Shanny really hasn't done that with the Redskins and instead has just made moves IMO to just make moves. He made a lot of poor decisions towards the end of his days at Denver, and they're showing up in Washington again.

You need to have a plan when you're revamping a team and you have to have your players' skill set in mind. Shanny has been trying to fit square pegs in round holes the last 2 years.

Just for a reference, he is on pace to have a worse 2 year record than either Jim Zorn or Steve Spurrier.

I agree, but I also think this makes Jon Gruden a very attractive candidate because he has stepped back for a couple of years and may have a different perspective now than what he had in 2008 and 2009. Now Bill Cowher, IMO, has been out of the game too long now. I'm not sure this is a guy that has stayed in touch with the changes that have happened since he last coached, and I ultimately fear that he is simply more of the same.

Jeff Fisher may be a quality candidate as well. Yes, he only has 6 winning seasons in 17 years, and that is a turn off. But, he has taken a year off to recharge his batteries, and I'm hoping he has looked at his coaches style retrospectively and is prepared to make some changes.

Sometimes this is why former failed head coaches do better in their second go around. One guy that Miami maybe should look at is Mike Mularkey.

When at the end of the day the most TALENT on the field wins ballgames...Coaches may only win 3-4 games a year by themselves from gameplanning but the players themselves win games.

GM are way more important then the coach.

ya need two that can work well together. Scott Pioli and Bill Billicheck worked magic together in New England via the draft and free agency. Since they've split up however, they haven't worked the same magic. Yeah Billicheck had a very good 2010 draft, but he has had some lackluster drafts without Pioli. As for Pioli... he took Tyson Jackson 3rd overall.

It's kind of the reason why the Colts have gotten worse under Caldwell. Their FO would get players for Tony Dungy's Tampa 2 defense. Caldwell's DC does not run the Tampa 2, but the FO keeps getting players for the Tampa 2.

The great coaches and GMs work together to build a team. If you don't, you get the San Diego Chargers. At one time they were considered a talented young team (back when AJ Smith worked with Schotty) ever since Schotty got fired and Norv became HC, the drafts have gotten progressively worse.

Then you have the Steelers where Colbert works with Mike Tomlin, Dick LeBeau, Bruce Arians, AND team leaders to draft players.

You know what makes someone a good coach? A good QB. Any coach that doesn't get this, is not a good coach IMO.

Back
Top Bottom