Commentary: Who’s Next? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Who’s Next?

I think you should've put Reggie McNeal and Vince Young on your list. Regardless, I think it's very possible that Matt Leinhart is a possibility. The Afc is loaded and rather be biased and say "the Phins will go 13-3," I think that they'll win between 6-9 games so it's not unthinkable that they have an opportunity to get him.

I'm as on the fence about Feeley as I think you can be :D

For every "3rd string QB", "13 college/pro starts", etc. argument that I hear... something comes out about how screwed up the staff was.

Konrad comming out and saying things like there being 3 different OCs wanting three different offenses... and the fact that the offense didn't ever meet as a whole unit.

I just can't for the life of me fathom how you can take a young (even if only in experience) QB and put him in that situation and have him prosper.

Where I strongly disagree with you though, Phil, is the paths that he might follow. To me, he is boom or bust. Either Feeley is going to become an excellent starter, or he'll be out of the league in a year or two. I just don't see him as a good backup.

The problem I have with Feeley is that too often he looks like Ray Lucas. From the lanky build to the frequent bodily harm to the trajectory of his passes.

Ray Lucas was a tough dude took a lot of nasty heat from the fans. Like Feeley, Lucas stepped in for injured starter Vinny Testaverde down the stretch and did a fantastic job. Lucas was even better than Feeley, going 6-3 with 1678 yards (59.2%), 14 TDs and 6 INTs for the '99 Jets. Both guys helped their team reach the conference championship and didn't see much time the following year.

While both suffered thru the Wannstedt era, Lucas did have the benefit of having two actual coordinators running his offenses (Chan Gailey, Norv Turner), whereas Feeley endured a four-headed disaster and complained about the lack of structure and discipline in Miami that he thrived under in Philadelphia.

The biggest problem I have with Feeley (aside from the Pick 6's) is the trajectory of his passes. It's as if he has no touch on his short to intermediate passes. All line drives. Many times at the receivers feet. Sound familiar?? At least Feeley takes a little off those short passes (Lucas threw lasers to the backs underneath the LBs).

Based on what I saw last year, I'm not sold on Feeley. Sage Rosenfels showed much more command in his first career start.

But it's hardly ironic that both Feeley and Lucas thrived under great coaching (Parcells, Reid) and struggled under Wannstedt. So perhaps Saban/Linehan will do for Feeley what Wannstedt couldn't do for either player.

Uuuhhh. The premise of the article doth suck. We've never even seen AJ Feeley run this offense. He played pretty good in Philly's west coast system. But, proclaiming AJ as "not the future" is a bit too much crystal ballish conjecture.

It's entirely possible that AJ Feeley will play "pretty good" in this system with an improved offensive line and a real threat at the RB position.

Our offensive system will be more vertical. The days of looking for a QB to be "the future" are over. I have seen absolutely no evidence that shows Nick Saban will build this team around the QB position. Attempting to build a team around a savior QB can cause the season to crumble after one hit and a single injury.

Feeley's development or lack thereof will become clearer after his 1,000th (approx.) pass attempt...like most NFL QB's.

phunwin said:
I know NOTHING about Jacobs save for the few scouting snippets I've read, as well as his Tecmo-like stats from 2004. But based on that, I like him. :)

Like I said, a 41-4 TD-INT ratio is impressive anywhere. I don't care if he's playing Division III football...with the other team fielding their cheerleaders on defense. That's impressive.
Yeah he has great stats but you have to also look at the QBs before. Josh Harris had some great stats in that same offense 2 years ago and was nothing more than a 6th rounder. Not that Im knocking Omar I just think the offense he runs may make him look better than he actually is.

PhinstiGator said:
Uuuhhh. The premise of the article doth suck. We've never even seen AJ Feeley run this offense. He played pretty good in Philly's west coast system. But, proclaiming AJ as "not the future" is a bit too much crystal ballish conjecture.

I didn't read it like that. He said "he believes", gave reasons why he felt that way, and said he really hoped he was wrong. Certainly not a proclaimation.

Muck said:
I didn't read it like that. He said "he believes", gave reasons why he felt that way, and said he really hoped he was wrong. Certainly not a proclaimation.
The premise of this article is that AJ Feeley will fail...and let's find out "who's next".

"I believe that A.J. Feeley is not the future of this team and more than likely, we’ll see a continuation of 2004 from Feeley in 2005."

..."I think that to go anywhere, the Dolphins will probably need to have a new quarterback..."

I just can't get past the basis or premise of the conjecture. Believe, think, probably...what's the difference? The premise is that AJ is "not the future" (whatever that means) because of his struggle last season.

But, what if AJ succeeds? (cue Twilight Zone music now)

Most NFL QB's need about 1000 NFL pass attempts to be all that they can be. I believe that to pre-flush AJ down the tubes because of last years Ricky-less, Norv-less, New Offensive Lineness, Boston-less, Starting RB-less debacle might just be a little unfair...I think, probably.

Give Feeley a chance.....he has a new coach, a new system, Ronnie in the backfield......I think he will be just fine. :)

AJ gets this season from me and that's it. We put up with Fiedler for so long, let's see what Feeley can do with some coaching. It's a do or die season for him.

Muck said:
Based on what I saw last year, I'm not sold on Feeley. Sage Rosenfels showed much more command in his first career start.

Finally someone actually came out and said that. I agree completely.

PhinstiGator said:
The premise of this article is that AJ Feeley will fail...and let's find out "who's next".

I just can't get past the basis or premise of the conjecture. Believe, think, probably...what's the difference? The premise is that AJ is "not the future" (whatever that means) because of his struggle last season.

But, what if AJ succeeds? (cue Twilight Zone music now)

Most NFL QB's need about 1000 NFL pass attempts to be all that they can be. I believe that to pre-flush AJ down the tubes because of last years Ricky-less, Norv-less, New Offensive Lineness, Boston-less, Starting RB-less debacle might just be a little unfair...I think, probably.

Okay, here's the thing that boggles my mind: haven't you spent roughly two out of every three posts complaining about the fact that we didn't draft a QB? So why would you, of all people, have a problem with someone writing about Feeley's possible replacement? Do you just enjoy complaining?

In any event, the premise of the article is NOT that Feeley sucked last year, so he's never going to be anything. The premise is that he's going to be 28 years old in a few days and hasn't shown enough in his four years in the NFL to make me think he'll be a good starter.

HVACservice said:
I think you are putting to much stock into "holding a clipboard", "being in the league" and "two critical years" of an age difference.

I dont care how long you sit on the sidelines and take notes. There is nothing like "getting your hands dirty".

And to tell you the truth I think AJ did "get it".

90 +passes without an INT to conclude the season. That to me was "getting it". Its just too bad Wanny decided to play musical QB`s during TC. Feeley should have been handed the reins from the get go. I wonder what sort of progression he would have shown then? What if RW stuck around and Feeley had a running game?What if Feeley didnt have to start against the eventuall 15-2 Steelers during a hurricane?

What if.......Feeley was NOT dealt a fu#ked up hand?

He went thru all of that and still manages to come out if it playing better and better.

Like my father says "sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet".

Last year Feeley broke some eggs.....

This year I think he is going to make the omelet.

Your argument's a valid one, and I hope your right. However, as important as it is to get in and take some snaps, plenty of NFL teams subscribe to the "let 'em watch and learn" theory. Enough that I think there's validity to it.

i think this article is entirely premature... lets wait and see what happens this season before we write off anyone...

Back
Top Bottom