Commentary: Who’s Next? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Who’s Next?

Muck said:
Based on what I saw last year, I'm not sold on Feeley. Sage Rosenfels showed much more command in his first career start.

But Sage STILL managed to make the exact same mistakes that Feeley and Fiedler made. (namely those dreaded pick 6's) IMO of course, he was no better or worse than those 2. I like Feeley's toughness, and I hope he busts out and does well this year, but if he fails (god forbid...for the teams sake) then it will be time to move on. No more 5 year try outs.

You can't draw the conclusion that " he is what he is" by his career so far. First, he has no experience except for a handful of games ( and realistically, he had only a handful of games at the college level too). How can you compare him to Ears, when Ears was a starter for 4 years ?? You assume too much from LAST years performance. It was (and you intimated this) under poor circumstances, to say the least. We had no concrete offensive scheme, the OL was horrendous, the coaches had major rifts between each other, there was no direction from Wanny, the RBs were terrible (please spare me the "Morris average 4 YPC" thing..hes at best an average back, no more), and to top it all off, as we all know, the defense did NOT live up to it's billing last year. Yeah, statistically they may have been ok, but they let the O down more often than Morris got stopped for no gain.

I'm not saying that AJ is the second coming or that he will be this years "Jake Delhomme." I am not even saying that I think he'll prove us all wrong this coming year, but I am saying that you cannot judge his performance based strictly on last year and then compare him to Ears. That is not fair to AJ....

As to next year's draft/FA....lets play this year first...

Good read.

I really like Leinart... and in the build up to the draft next year I will let that be known. IMO he is college football's version of Tom Brady.

I want us to draft a QB next year. Personally, I think we'll be picking in the 10-15 range and I also like guys like Jacobs and Whitehurst.

I guess we'll see.

Good article, and I share your feelings: Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see AJ as the future. Nothing wrong with with looking at what-ifs in May when nothing else is going on, and I think you did a pretty good look at the other qb options out there IF Feeley doesn't impress. All these others that can't bring themselves to honestly look at that possibility are really putting their heads in the sand.

I can make room for the possibility that AJ will break out and prove me wrong, but some don't seem able to make room for the possibility that he just might not be that good. You can bet that Nick is studying every potential outcome.

phunwin said:
Okay, here's the thing that boggles my mind: haven't you spent roughly two out of every three posts complaining about the fact that we didn't draft a QB? So why would you, of all people, have a problem with someone writing about Feeley's possible replacement? Do you just enjoy complaining?
LOL! I think you have me confused with someone else. Check my posts...I was on record saying that I would projectile vomit if we drafted a QB on day 1. And no, I don't enjoy complaining...I rather have an optimistic view about the current statis at the QB position and the offense in general...yet, it has a long way to go to meet our high standards as Dolphins fans.

In any event, the premise of the article is NOT that Feeley sucked last year, so he's never going to be anything. The premise is that he's going to be 28 years old in a few days and hasn't shown enough in his four years in the NFL to make me think he'll be a good starter.
Age is the premise? C'mon! Payton Manning just put up the best season of his career and he is going to be 30. The next 5 years should be the best of Feeley's career if he can take the next step. It usually comes with experience (actual pass attempts).

I've compared most of the great QB's...Favre, Manning, Aikman...bla bla bla...and it turns out that they play "Feeley like" before about 1,000 pass attempts or 2 years of starting. It's a very rare few that can actually step in the NFL and succeed without actual realtime experience. Feeley has the physical tools...his problem has been the decision making. Do you really want to view his decision making ability through the prism of last season? I don't.

Your premise is clearly that Feeley will fail. Age is not a problem. You just believe he will fail. You are planning ahead for his replacement. That's fine. But, let's play this season first and give the guy a chance to succeed. He doesn't have to be great. He just needs to be pretty good. He doesn't have to strike fear in the hearts of the opposition. He just needs to help this team win games. And this team and NFL in general is MUCH more than just the QB position.

PhinstiGator said:
LOL! I think you have me confused with someone else. Check my posts...I was on record saying that I would projectile vomit if we drafted a QB on day 1. And no, I don't enjoy complaining...I rather have an optimistic view about the current statis at the QB position and the offense in general...yet, it has a long way to go to meet our high standards as Dolphins fans.

Holy crap, I am so sorry! There's someone who has the same avatar that you do that was complaining non-stop after the draft (I can't remember who it was now) that we didn't draft a QB, and I thought it was you. After checking your posts, I realize that I made a mistake. I am very sorry about that; it was a totally unnecessary and uncalled for comment on my part.

Age is the premise? C'mon! Payton Manning just put up the best season of his career and he is going to be 30. The next 5 years should be the best of Feeley's career if he can take the next step. It usually comes with experience (actual pass attempts).

I've compared most of the great QB's...Favre, Manning, Aikman...bla bla bla...and it turns out that they play "Feeley like" before about 1,000 pass attempts or 2 years of starting. It's a very rare few that can actually step in the NFL and succeed without actual realtime experience. Feeley has the physical tools...his problem has been the decision making. Do you really want to view his decision making ability through the prism of last season? I don't.

Your premise is clearly that Feeley will fail. Age is not a problem. You just believe he will fail. You are planning ahead for his replacement. That's fine. But, let's play this season first and give the guy a chance to succeed. He doesn't have to be great. He just needs to be pretty good. He doesn't have to strike fear in the hearts of the opposition. He just needs to help this team win games. And this team and NFL in general is MUCH more than just the QB position.

Noted. But as I said, my point was just that the track record is that QBs who haven't done anything by this point in their careers are very unlikely to be successful. Past history is not always indicative of future results....but that's the way to bet.

I'm not writing Feeley off for 2005, nor will I start a "In Gus We Trust" bandwagon. But here's the thing; what concrete evidence do we have that Feeley WILL succeed? The burden has been put on me by a lot of people to prove that he won't. I posit that his age and poor performance as a starter (even taken with a massive grain of salt due to a crappy coaching staff and awful running game and line play), taken with past history, mean that he's not likely to succeed.

Most of the people taking issue with my article counter with "he hasn't had enough time yet" and "give him a chance". Fine. But what evidence do you (not necessarily you specifically, Phinstigator) have that he WILL succeed? "He needs a chance" isn't an argument that he'll succeed (neither is "you suck, Phil!"). If you take issue with my opinion, give me concrete evidence as to why I'm mistaken.

HVac cites his 1 INT in his final 90 passes. Okay, that's a start. What else?

byroan said:
AJ gets this season from me and that's it. We put up with Fiedler for so long, let's see what Feeley can do with some coaching. It's a do or die season for him.

I agree.

I will hang him as fast as anyone if he doesn't continue to play better.

But he earned my respect last year and showed enough improvement to warrant another season.

To tell you the truth the only decision that Saban has made at this point that I strongly disagree with is bringing in Gus and having an "open QB competition". I want one guy to get all the snaps with the first team. I want one guy to "jell" with the receivers and get the timing down.

I have no doubts that Feeley will beat out Gus for the starting job.....

I just dont like our starting QB losing valuable reps during TC .

phunwin said:

He beat the Superbowl Champions when the pressure was on.

But I digress....

Hey phunwin.....

Although I disagree with your assessment of AJ, that was a good article. I know it took sometime to research all the individual players. And then to post the article and sit here and defend Im sure is not easy.....

So my hats off to you.

HVACservice said:
I agree.

I will hang him as fast as anyone if he doesn't continue to play better.

But he earned my respect last year and showed enough improvement to warrant another season.

To tell you the truth the only decision that Saban has made at this point that I strongly disagree with is bringing in Gus and having an "open QB competition". I want one guy to get all the snaps with the first team. I want one guy to "jell" with the receivers and get the timing down.

I have no doubts that Feeley will beat out Gus for the starting job.....

I just dont like our starting QB losing valuable reps during TC .
Completely agree, the "open QB competion" undoubtedly hurt AJ's development last season as evidenced by the improvment he made late on, giving reps to frerotte is completely counter productive IMO

Sorry I just don't see how anyone can say that Ramsey or Harrington makes a better franchise QB then Feeley. There's absolutely no evidence to support that. Harrington and Ramsey were rookie mistake free? Absolutely not. Yes Feeley makes rookie mistakes, he's played less then 1 full year. Give him next year before concluding something that is only a guess/hope at this point and based entirely on hatred.

I'd be all for Chris Leak in the future. Watch how this guy blows up with Meyer running a more wide open offense at Florida. He should be in the Heisman mix this year

phunwin said:
Holy crap, I am so sorry! There's someone who has the same avatar that you do that was complaining non-stop after the draft (I can't remember who it was now) that we didn't draft a QB, and I thought it was you. After checking your posts, I realize that I made a mistake. I am very sorry about that; it was a totally unnecessary and uncalled for comment on my part.
No problem. I wasn't offended. I agreed with your comment and knew that it didn't apply to me.

Noted. But as I said, my point was just that the track record is that QBs who haven't done anything by this point in their careers are very unlikely to be successful. Past history is not always indicative of future results....but that's the way to bet.
Imagine if Drew Bledsoe would have stayed healthy...and Tom Brady would have never gotten on the field.

I'm not writing Feeley off for 2005, nor will I start a "In Gus We Trust" bandwagon. But here's the thing; what concrete evidence do we have that Feeley WILL succeed? The burden has been put on me by a lot of people to prove that he won't. I posit that his age and poor performance as a starter (even taken with a massive grain of salt due to a crappy coaching staff and awful running game and line play), taken with past history, mean that he's not likely to succeed.
There is no concrete evidence that any QB will succeed. They either do or they do not.

Most of the people taking issue with my article counter with "he hasn't had enough time yet" and "give him a chance". Fine. But what evidence do you (not necessarily you specifically, Phinstigator) have that he WILL succeed? "He needs a chance" isn't an argument that he'll succeed (neither is "you suck, Phil!"). If you take issue with my opinion, give me concrete evidence as to why I'm mistaken.
There was NO concrete evidence that Drew Brees would succeed...and now he is a top prospect. What happened? I would suggest that along with getting competent play from the offensive line, having a great RB, and the addition of a great playmaker at TE...the lightbulb turned on in Brees head as a QB somewhere around the 1,000 pass attempts mark. I think that is a reasonable amount of time to know if a QB can succeed.

PS...you forgot to mention Billy Volek.

good article. i think feeley still needs more time, but i certainly can't blame someone for expecting the worst. and i'm sure the team will be scouting qb's regardless of how feeley does this year.

i do feel that the age thing is overrated. nobody has mentioned rich gannon as somebody who "got it" late, and brad johnson is another one. not superstars, by any stretch, but gannon did have a few good years and johnson took home some hardware. remember, the phins were led through a large chunk of their best season by an old man, earl morrall.

phunwin said:

Phil, not being a smart a$$ but, do you have any concrete evidence that any one of those other QBs will be better than Feeley?

How can anyone give you that?

Back
Top Bottom