comparing miami/buffalo in the air | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

comparing miami/buffalo in the air

I think it's a testament to just how well we ran the ball last season. Even when Jay was healthy early on, the WRs weren't getting it done down the field. They just weren't getting open as they should have. But Jay was still playing well because he was still finding the guys who were getting open underneath.

Ricky kinda touched on what everyone was thinking on his website during the slump. When Jay was at QB, it didn't matter where we were on the field. The endzone always seemed 20 yards away. The team felt like they could move down the field at will. They were supremely confident. When Ray came in, they struggled and lost that confidence. If they were at their own 20, the endzone seemed 80 yards away.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

No, I didn't, that's why I used the analysis...We were in the same boat as you, New LT, New LG, New RB, New TE, New #1 WR, New O...we went throught the same changes. Basically we both got the same results. We just lost more players along the way.

We also had a new mascot.

Originally posted by Pagan
Why would you cry? The Dolphins averaged almost the same yards per pass, had only six less TDs while averaging 10 LESS passes a game, (which figures out to 170 less attempts for the season) and had almost the same completion percentage.

All of this with six games worth of stats being mangled by Lucas.

Exactly. It wasn't that we couldn't pass, but that we ran first. Our passing struggles came at bad times & we weren't proficient enough to pass at will - only off of playaction & in non-obvious situations.

Everyone should save their tears for the other AFCE d-coordinators that have to face us this year...

Originally posted by Danny
cool pic. Have you seen the Rock in Rio DVD?

up the irons!!

See it? I bought it day one! Look for "Visions Of The Beast" double DVD next month. ;)

Okay....sorry for the OT post....:D

Originally posted by Bobby Humphrey
to not upset our not-so-fine buffalo buddies i thought i better compare the air stats too. (i compared the ground stats before if you have not read it) i hate those fans who are "blind" towards there own team's weaknesses, so i will use this post to prove to myself i am not one of those fans.

miami had 2890 yards which was 26th in the nf.l (ouch) 180.6 a game
buffalo had 3995 yards which was 5th in the nfl. 249.7 a game

miami averaged 6.4 a attempt
buffalo averaged 6.5 a attempt

miami had 18 TDs in the air which was 25th in the nfl
buffalo had 24 TDs in the air which was tied for 11th in the nfl

miami was picked 3.3 % of there passes
buffalo was picked 2.5% of there passes

miami completed 59.6% of there passes which was 19th in the nfl
buffalo completed 61.6% of there passes which was tied for 10th in the nfl

it should be noted that buffalo averaged 9.8 more attempts a game than miami had.

excuse me while i go cry myself to sleep now.

The proper comparison was Bledsoe v. Fiedler...

Completion %: Bledsoe 61.5, Fiedler 61.3 -- Even

YPA: Bledsoe 7.15, Fiedler 6.93 -- Bledsoe leads moderately with a figure which Fiedler matched in 2001.

Passing TD%: Fiedler 4.8, Bledsoe 3.93 -- Fiedler is #7 in the league here and Bledoe is well back in the pack.

All TD%: Fiedler 5.3, Bledsoe 4.1 -- Once rushing TDs are thrown in, Fiedler jumps to #4 in the NFL in scoring efficiency and widens his lead over Bledsoe.

Sacks per Game Started: Fiedler 1.3, Bledsoe 3.4 -- Sacks are drive killers. While this stat belongs partially to the OL, the fact that Bledsoe is a statue and Fiedler evades the blitz has alot to do with it. Flutie never had alot of problems in Buffalo...

Attempts per start: Bledsoe 38.1, Fiedler 28.3 -- Drew gets ten more attempts per game, which accounts for the heavy advantage he has in total passing yards.

PPG: Miami (Fiedler starting) 27, Buffalo 24 -- Miami's three pass happy division rivals all trailed the ground phish and their efficient scoring QB by a FG per game.

Of the two offenses, I believe Miami still had more room for improvement and added more than it lost in the offseason.

Re: Re: comparing miami/buffalo in the air

Originally posted by Dolphan-B

The proper comparison was Bledsoe v. Fiedler...

Completion %: Bledsoe 61.5, Fiedler 61.3 -- Even

YPA: Bledsoe 7.15, Fiedler 6.93 -- Bledsoe leads moderately with a figure which Fiedler matched in 2001.

Passing TD%: Fiedler 4.8, Bledsoe 3.93 -- Fiedler is #7 in the league here and Bledoe is well back in the pack.

All TD%: Fiedler 5.3, Bledsoe 4.1 -- Once rushing TDs are thrown in, Fiedler jumps to #4 in the NFL in scoring efficiency and widens his lead over Bledsoe.

Sacks per Game Started: Fiedler 1.3, Bledsoe 3.4 -- Sacks are drive killers. While this stat belongs partially to the OL, the fact that Bledsoe is a statue and Fiedler evades the blitz has alot to do with it. Flutie never had alot of problems in Buffalo...

Attempts per start: Bledsoe 38.1, Fiedler 28.3 -- Drew gets ten more attempts per game, which accounts for the heavy advantage he has in total passing yards.

PPG: Miami (Fiedler starting) 27, Buffalo 24 -- Miami's three pass happy division rivals all trailed the ground phish and their efficient scoring QB by a FG per game.

Of the two offenses, I believe Miami still had more room for improvement and added more than it lost in the offseason.

Great Post. I pointed out a lot of these stats in the smack forum.
Most people don't realize how close they were in many key statistics.

A significant stat that you may have added is winning percentage, which favors Fiedler considerably both for last season and for their careers.

Originally posted by justafan

However just to respond to your statement, lately the fins haven't beaten the bills.

ummm, Miami has beaten Buffalo in 4 out of the last 6 meetings.

I posted in an earlier thread JF made better decisions than DB. I supported my opinion by showing that that JF's 3rd down QBR was higher than DB's. I was blasted for being a homer, but the facts are that while DB may have superior skills (to JF) he doesn't have superior results.

Originally posted by Bobby Humphrey
i posted lucas' numbers too because i feel jay is not a 16 game qb

not a 16 Game QB?

Ummmm.... over the past 3 seasons he has had 15, 16, and 11 Game seasons.

Jay Feidler started 37 of 38 Regular Season Games as a Dolphin prior to his fluke broken thumb last year! One missed game due to something other than last years broken thumb... this guy is definately a sturdy QB.

Lets see how other QB's that have been slated as starters over the Past 3 Seasons have fared over their career shall we(average yearwhere the QB was not "dethroned" due to performance, all lost games listed are injury losses)?

1. Brett Favre: 16 Games played per full season
2. Peyton Manning: 16 Games played per full season
3. Jeff Garcia: 15.3 Games played per full season
4. Steve McNair: 14.8 Games played per full season
5. Mark Brunell: 14.6 Games played per full season
6. Daunte Culpepper: 14.3 Games played per full season
7. Jay Feidler: 14 Games played per full season
8. Donovin McNabb: 13.5 Games played per full season
9. Aaron Brooks: 13.3 Games played per full season
10. Rich Gannon: 13 Games played per full season
11. Brian Greise: 13 Games played per full season
12. Drew Bledsoe: 12.7 Games played per full season