Comparing Miami's last repeat champs: '72-'73 Dolphins and Heat | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comparing Miami's last repeat champs: '72-'73 Dolphins and Heat

i assume you're referring to lebron. he's took his talent to be a clown. and why are you talking about putting my tears on your tongue? that's just creepy.

[video=youtube;31i63NbpcBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31i63NbpcBc[/video]

Those tasted like cherry starburst.

i assume you're referring to lebron. he's took his talent to be a clown. and why are you talking about putting my tears on your tongue? that's just creepy.

[video=youtube;31i63NbpcBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31i63NbpcBc[/video]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Funny as all hell, but true or not... 4 MVPs, 2 Championships, 2 Finals MVPs, 9 All-Star Games, and a slew of All First Team Offense and Defense Honors. LeFlop all he wants he's still the best in the world at this current moment and the face of a Sport.

Look, I still get heart palpitations watching every single Dolphins games, and it's no question who my favorite team is, but right now, there is no question as to who deserves more credit in Miami sports. In my life time I have watched a face of the Franchise and the NFL in Marino come so close every year, but never put it together to win a championship, so it was always disappointing. Hell, we got to see the the Marlins pull off 2 World Series in the last 16 years.

The Dolphins have to win, this city will explode if they do. I almost passed out Game 6 of the Finals, I will very well need a cardiologist after a Miami Super Bowl....but they have to get to the playoffs first.

The 72-73 Dolphins didn't just win championships... they changed the face of sports COMPLETELY in this country.

They were the first team south of the Mason-Dixon line ever to win a championship in ANY of the 4 major sports.

Pro sports before 1972 were mainly a pastime of the Northeast. The leading championship dynasties were all concentrated in New York and New England. The 49ers and Rams had not at that time won a title and the Dodgers, Giants and Lakers were transplants from back East. The ONLY other championship franchises anywhere else in the country were the Packers, Bears and the St. Louis baseball Cardinals. No team in the historical South had raised a blip on the radar screen in any way. In fact, in those days the only pro sports franchises in the historic South were the Braves, Dolphins, Saints, Falcons, Oilers and Astros. Dallas is by all consensus a "Western" team.

The Dolphins made pro sports a nationwide pastime, laying the foundations for the network TV empires and for ESPN.

The Heat only make history by being despised as prima-donnas and overpaid frontrunners around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Superbowl wasn't that big of a deal compared to now as you didn't have the mefia coverage 24/7...no ESPN or cable/satellite tv....no internet, no twitter.....baseball was a bigger deal than the NFL....and not many people cared about the NBA. I think only Boston has had back-to-back NBA and Superbowl Champions....add Miami to the list.

That's not even close. The Super Bowl was massive. NFL had long since overtaken baseball. NBA was big news throughout the amazing run of the Celtics, and with mega stars like Chamberlain still playing. Heck, they still play clips of Willis Reed limping out onto the court for the Knicks. You think that video was discovered in 2007? Kids on the playground would limp and laugh, pretending to be Willis Reed. Walt Frazier was the coolest guy in America, featured in numerous commercials. It was an emerging heyday of professional football, not long after the merger, and with so much pride at stake, depending whether your franchise originated in the NFL or AFL. Notice that many of the famous media outlets like Pro Football Weekly got their start in that era. Same with NFL Films. There was a lust for information and it was provided in great supply. Fans anticipated the local papers and local TV coverage, along with all the weekly highlight programs. Preview magazines expanded and were published more frequently. Sports talk radio was incredibly popular. In those days the prime time hosts were on at night. Locally the flagship was WIOD 610 but WGBS 710 and WKAT 1360 were also very active.

I'm persistently amused that younger fans think nothing was popular or well known prior to the internet or social media explosion. Are we really using twitter as a guideline? How long has that been around? I guess nobody knew anything 10 years ago. Meanwhile, I remember sitting in the Orange Bowl in the '70s and every player was serenaded by name during pregame introduction. The linemen were greeted no differently than the skill position stars. When we had only one major professional team there was actually greater spotlight and focus on everything and everyone involved. Nowadays the posters on a specialized forum like this are familiar with the roster as a whole but that hardly transfers to the community in general.

Distribution was different. That's the change. In those days a guy would be MVP of the Super Bowl and other than the postgame celebration and a few clips from the press conference you wouldn't see much of him again until he appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Stuff like that. It would attract a huge audience and everybody at school or the water cooler would talk about it. Now he'll sit alongside a panel on ESPN and NFL Network for an hour or two after the game. But it's fairly ridiculous to assert lower interest level or awareness in those days. For one thing, with only a handful of networks there weren't manufactured distractions like the Kardashians. People focused where the cameras took them, and sports was a tremendous slice of that.

Good stuff AD.

How did we ever get by without cell phones and computers ?

Payphones and newspapers or magazines plus the 3 network channels that's how :up:

May the good news be yours - Ralph Renick

:lol: The illogical Heat hatred will never stop. Three years later and I still haven't heard one legitimate reason for the supposed hatred.

Eat it. Wash it down with crow juice.

:lol: The illogical Heat hatred will never stop. Three years later and I still haven't heard one legitimate reason for the supposed hatred.

People hate what they can't accomplish sometimes man, it's that simple. I love ALL of my South Florida sports teams. Period.

It sounds like WQAM in here. A bunch of bitter, stuffy, old farts who are completely out of touch with reality and have nothing but memories from 40 years ago to cling because of how pathetic the Dolphins franchise has been in the new millenium.

People hate what they can't accomplish sometimes man, it's that simple. I love ALL of my South Florida sports teams. Period.

It sounds like WQAM in here. A bunch of bitter, stuffy, old farts who are completely out of touch with reality and have nothing but memories from 40 years ago to cling because of how pathetic the Dolphins franchise has been in the new millenium.

us old farts didn't hate bill russell or dr. j, people like that, at least i didn't. many of us do have a disdain for pompous prima donnas like lebron and the disrespectful, arrogant, mindless mancub minions this culture has spawned. better for all of you to put on your gangsta sneakers and run around looking cool with your rapcrap turned up instead of thinking or talking unless you're already in stupidville surrounded by... oh geez, lemme think.... surrounded by... STUPID, yeah that's it. damn, i'm getting old.

us old farts didn't hate bill russell or dr. j, people like that, at least i didn't. many of us do have a disdain for pompous prima donnas like lebron and the disrespectful, arrogant, mindless mancub minions this culture has spawned. better for all of you to put on your gangsta sneakers and run around looking cool with your rapcrap turned up instead of thinking or talking unless you're already in stupidville surrounded by... oh geez, lemme think.... surrounded by... STUPID, yeah that's it. damn, i'm getting old.

I had a feeling it was about that.

every year I become less and less a fan of basketball. Every year u always know there are maybe 5 teams at best that could challenge for title and the method to building teams seems to be gut roster then sign a top free agent over and over. Players only want to play in about 4 cities if they are top shelf and basically no teams are built from draft outside of maybe San Antonio and Oklahoma City. Refs always favor the better players and somehow whistles seem to be ignored inside of 2 minutes unless u tackle a guy. Sometimes its painful to watch

I had a feeling it was about that.
Yep, not surprised whatsoever. And you know where that sentiment usually comes from...

Take your meds old man, wouldn't want you getting all agitated and risking a heart attack. It's been years since I've willingly listened to rap and I wear Reebok classics, shoes you probably wore as a youth unless they didn't exist back then.

every year I become less and less a fan of basketball. Every year u always know there are maybe 5 teams at best that could challenge for title and the method to building teams seems to be gut roster then sign a top free agent over and over. Players only want to play in about 4 cities if they are top shelf and basically no teams are built from draft outside of maybe San Antonio and Oklahoma City. Refs always favor the better players and somehow whistles seem to be ignored inside of 2 minutes unless u tackle a guy. Sometimes its painful to watch

Look at fishfanmiami's signature showing LeBron's made baskets in game 7. Those are jumpshots. This Miami Heat team set a NBA playoffs record for least free throws in a seven game series, ever. Spurs shot 158 FTs, Miami shot 118. The Spurs are a team that built a dynasty by playing fundamentally sound basketball. The Miami Heat beat them by outexecuting them in the halfcourt. Think about that, that's like if the Dolphins had run a West Coast Offense and beaten the 49ers with it in the 80s/90s. What makes this Miami Heat team special is their versatility. They have the ability to play any style of basketball. They won 66 games, 27 in a row by playing pure smallball. They beat the Pacers at their own game; ugly, physical Eastern conference basketball. These are game 7 numbers against Indy:

-Rebounds: INDY 36 MIA 43
-Offensive Rebounds: INDY 8 MIA 15
-Turnovers: INDY 21 MIA 11
-Points in the paint: INDY 30 MIA 30

And they just beat the Spurs with mid-range jumpers and 3 pointers. Unlike most teams that are flashy, this Heat team is also fundamentally sound. When teams try to go big, pack the paint, and stop easy transition buckets the Heat have a plan B, C, and D unlike a team that has no substance like say the Clippers.

Also I find it amusing how you praise OKC. Do you know what's OKC's nickname among basketball fans? FThunder, because they're always getting to the line, always getting the whistle. Miami squashed OKC last year because OKC plays too much isolation heroball on offense. Miami was able to force them into turnovers like crazy with their trapping defense. OKC has no one who can score with their back-to-the-basket in the post so the Heat were able to double OKC's perimeter players with no worries whatsoever. LeBron destroyed OKC with back-to-the-basket post-ups himself. Frankly, OKC is the kind of team that represents what you don't like about basketball. They play selfish one-man offense and are not fundamentally sound. When things don't go their way they start getting hotheaded and lose their composure, racking up technical fouls and fighting with eachother on the bench. The NBA just has you fooled because Kevin Durant is marketed as a "quiet good guy" and the Heat are "flashy bad guys".

Also, to go Tywin Lannister on you, explain to me exactly why it is more honorable to build a team through the draft than free agency.
The team built through free agency proved to be more fundamentally sound than those two teams you named that built through the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, not surprised whatsoever. And you know where that sentiment usually comes from...

Take your meds old man, wouldn't want you getting all agitated and risking a heart attack. It's been years since I've willingly listened to rap and I wear Reebok classics, shoes you probably wore as a youth unless they didn't exist back then.

Look at fishfanmiami's signature showing LeBron's made baskets in game 7. Those are jumpshots. This Miami Heat team set a NBA playoffs record for least free throws in a seven game series, ever. Spurs shot 158 FTs, Miami shot 118. The Spurs are a team that built a dynasty by playing fundamentally sound basketball. The Miami Heat beat them by outexecuting them in the halfcourt. Think about that, that's like if the Dolphins had run a West Coast Offense and beaten the 49ers with it in the 80s/90s. What makes this Miami Heat team special is their versatility. They have the ability to play any style of basketball. They won 66 games, 27 in a row by playing pure smallball. They beat the Pacers at their own game; ugly, physical Eastern conference basketball. These are game 7 numbers against Indy:

-Rebounds: INDY 36 MIA 43
-Offensive Rebounds: INDY 8 MIA 15
-Turnovers: INDY 21 MIA 11
-Points in the paint: INDY 30 MIA 30

And they just beat the Spurs with mid-range jumpers and 3 pointers. Unlike most teams that are flashy, this Heat team is also fundamentally sound. When teams try to go big, pack the paint, and stop easy transition buckets the Heat have a plan B, C, and D unlike a team that has no substance like say the Clippers.

Also I find it amusing how you praise OKC. Do you know what's OKC's nickname among basketball fans? FThunder, because they're always getting to the line, always getting the whistle. Miami squashed OKC last year because OKC plays too much isolation heroball on offense. Miami was able to force them into turnovers like crazy with their trapping defense. OKC has no one who can score with their back-to-the-basket in the post so the Heat were able to double OKC's perimeter players with no worries whatsoever. LeBron destroyed OKC with back-to-the-basket post-ups himself. Frankly, OKC is the kind of team that represents what you don't like about basketball. They play selfish one-man offense and are not fundamentally sound. When things don't go their way they start getting hotheaded and lose their composure, racking up technical fouls and fighting with eachother on the bench. The NBA just has you fooled because Kevin Durant is marketed as a "quiet good guy" and the Heat are "flashy bad guys".

Also, to go Tywin Lannister on you, explain to me exactly why it is more honorable to build a team through the draft than free agency.
The team built through free agency proved to be more fundamentally sound than those two teams you named that built through the draft.

I never said it was honorable, just that if the draft means very little in your league then u have teams that will never contend for titles. The NBA draft means little to nothing when nobody wants to play in half the markets.

The NBA doesnt have me fooled they just need a real salary cap like the nfl so teams like the heat and lakers cant be over the cap with just 3 players but yet still be able to sign players for 5 and 6 million.
This is the biggest flaw of the salary cap. I think they have now made some type of penalty that may work.

I will say it was a good finals series for most part that either team could have won,

Back
Top Bottom