concerning the 2 point conversion attempt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

concerning the 2 point conversion attempt

He is right on the money. I was in the stands thinking at the time that we should just kick the extra point because I thought the chances of Houston kicking 2 FG's was far greater than them getting a single touchdown.

Originally posted by notguilty
He is right on the money. I was in the stands thinking at the time that we should just kick the extra point because I thought the chances of Houston kicking 2 FG's was far greater than them getting a single touchdown.

That's just what I said in another thread earlier, considering their only TD came on a 8 yd yet another brainfart screwup on D! :)

Originally posted by notguilty

Everytime I see a team with a fourth quarter lead go for two points, I always think it's a mistake.

Originally posted by Ozzy

Everytime I see a team with a fourth quarter lead go for two points, I always think it's a mistake.

I agree, I hate the 2 point con. I'd much rather have the sure 1 than a hopefully maybe 2. When I seen them go for 2 I was like... OH NO.

Nothing wrong with going for two. Hindsight is 20/20. You'd scream for Wanny's head if Bradford or Johnson scored on a deep ball.

Then again, you'd scream for Wanny's head no matter what.

I understand if we got it that we would sing a different tune, but in my opinion no matter what you should only go for two when you have to not to make up points. More often than not you just chase that one point the rest of the game, sometimes it works out I just think that chart should go away with all the scenerios on it...Just me

I agree that it's a bad idea to go for two until you're single-possesion time... always and for everybody. I didn't think the Dolphins should have gone for two when they did, and I definitely didn't think the Texans should have gone for two when they did, even earlier in the game.

Originally posted by Jetfanmack
Nothing wrong with going for two. Hindsight is 20/20. You'd scream for Wanny's head if Bradford or Johnson scored on a deep ball.

Then again, you'd scream for Wanny's head no matter what.

WHile I agree with you in the other thread, this time I disagree. As evidenced in these posts, many fans were in disagreement when the call to go for 2 was made. It is not 20-20 hindsight, but rather disagreement with the decision at the time and after. It is frustrating to say to yourself, "self, I don't like this because if we don't make it 2 field goals beats us", and then see it unfold exactly that way. That said, I support Wannstedt and would never boo or want him fired just because the team slumps or a I disagree with a few stategic decisions.

The decision to go for two was correct. The two point conversion forces Texans to score a touchdown. It puts more pressure on them.

If Miami makes that two point conversion, the Texans would of had to score a touchdown on that last possestion.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
The decision to go for two was correct. The two point conversion forces Texans to score a touchdown. It puts more pressure on them.

If Miami makes that two point conversion, the Texans would of had to score a touchdown on that last possestion.

The problem is that the 2 point conversion is a low percentage play. If Miami kicks the extra point, and Houston kicks two field goals, we have overtime, by going for 2 and failing 2 FG's beat us. (and again, I and others thought about this not in hindsight but when the decision was made at the time).
Houston may have had more pressure on them with a touchdown deficit, but when they saw us miss the 2 pointer and knew that 2 FG's would win it, they certainly must have had more confidence knowing that they can win the game without even driving the length of the field or getting in the endzone.
Bottom line is your analysis would work except it does not factor in the likelihood of failing to make the 2 point conversion.

The decision to go for two was the right one at the time. That is what you are supposed to do in that situation.

The two point conversion was the right decision at that point in time. If we had gone for one and lost becuase of one point...you would all be screaming for Wanny's head. Let's face reality....most of you want Wannstedt gone (although he has been a damn good coach) and Jay gone etc. You guys complain week in and week out when we make a mistake or lose..get over yourselves. They are both here for now so just wait until the offseaosn before you start taking firings and hirings.

I say you don't use the two-point chart until you have a strong idea of exactly how many possessions the other team will have before the end of regulation.
that's Phil's point.

12+ minutes in the 4th quarter is certainly right on the border for whether scoring 2 FG or 1 TD is easier, so even though I initially bashed Wanne for this (yes hindsight...), I now give him the benefit...

The problem I have with them going for 2 is: How successful have the dolphins been on going for 2?? Anybody have actual stats? Since the 2 pointer came back in the '90's, I don't think Miami has attempted that many, and hasn't had much success. Stats anyone?

Back
Top Bottom