Conspiracy theory?

Discussion in 'General NFL Forum' started by crosen1105, Feb 4, 2018.

1. crosen1105

crosen1105 Member

I know this has been talked about before but an interesting stat was stated in the SB. I for one have seen far too many examples and firmly believe that some teams get 'extra lovin' from the officials....especially the Patriots. I am thrilled that they lost by the way.
    Toward the end of the second half, when the Patriots had a false start, the announcers said that was their first offensive penalty since the regular season. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    Seeing the refs celebrating with them after the Jags game and many other examples, I am COMPLETELY sold on the fact that the NFL only wants certain teams to win....and they will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

2. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

6 penalties for 52 yards in the three playoff games.

royalshank likes this.
  3. crosen1105

crosen1105 Member

I hear you...I said that I heard offensive penalty. Which means no holding penalties, offensive PI, etc...nothing. Which when I watch an NFL game, you can almost call holding on every play. It seems that some teams get called for tick tack stuff away from plays but the Pats have none. If that stat is true it further exemplifies my losing interest in this league....that's my only point.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  4. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

Disciplined team. Has nothing to do with officials or any conspiracy. It’s actually quite simple why they consistently good

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

It was amazing to me to see the pats not get the benefit of the doubt on replay.

And multiple times even. Football gods maybe doing us all a solid

Ben Had and royalshank like this.
  6. Miami 13

Miami 13 Pro Bowler

Not buying that. Disciplined teams still get penalized sometimes.

RVAPhinFan13, joenhre and Greer17 like this.
  7. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

No way in hell is it a conspiracy by the NFL, that would be impossible to keep quiet, and I'm thinking that could be prison for Goodell and whoever else was involved. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out the refs were putting money on the game though. It would be too easy to give them a call or two if its close.

8. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Exactly. And in the playoffs against good defenses and they don’t hold not even once intentionally to avoid giving up a sack after being beat? Are people trying to say the New England line didn’t get beat once at all for the entire postseason?

joenhre and Greer17 like this.
  9. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

I thought the LB should have been called for PI on that last 2 point try. Never looked back and hit guy before ball arrived. Agree w Hoops. Thought they would find a way to overturn something for them. They did get a free timeout w 3:17 to go when Chung got hurt. Very suspicious if you ask me.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

Last 2 pointer wasn’t placed well by foles. Throw it outside as in lead he converts throw it inside lb breaks it up

Ball placement don’t underestimate it

11. pacresjt

pacresjt Well-Known Member

You all realize that the Don Shula Dolphins lead the league for fewest penalties for 13 of his years as coach. We also had the fewest penalties called for 8 consecutive seasons. Maybe it’s just good coaching. Maybe the Fact the Patriots have reached the SB 8 times and have been in the AFC title game 15 times is a sign that they are a well coached team. I know I band my head figuring out how Wes Walker, Edelman, Amandola and Hogan look like pro bowlers HOF receivers and dominate. BB is just the GOAT and penalties is part of the reason why. Some are right they do get love from the officials but most good teams do.

Ben Had likes this.
  12. MinnFinFan

MinnFinFan Active Member

I've often wondered what happens at halftime of games at Gillette stadium. It seems like teams can play a competitive 1st half or even be leading and then get thumped in the 2nd half. A few years ago we had a couple games up there and we led 21-7 or so at half only to get embarrassed by games end.
    Remember the time denver had like 24-0 lead only to lose???

Makes me wonder.....

13. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

But did Shula ever have a three game stretch with one offensive penalty like the Patriots this post season? I believe some of it is like the strike zone for superstars in baseball and getting fouls in the NBA if you are an established player. I think some refs give the Pats the benefit of the doubt on close calls.

pacresjt likes this.
  14. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

There was a point in the fourth quarter; Pats had the ball close to the Eagles goal line, where the play clock LITERALLY jumped backward several seconds. I watched it and thought I was hallucinating for a second. I don't know if anyone else caught it, but I swear this occurred.

NBP81 likes this.
  15. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

Sticking with the premise of the thread title. I am going to say the Pats got a hold of the recipe to our sports science drinks. During halftimes they pump those ****tails into their Gatorade jugs of their opponents while they are in the locker room. This could explain the poor play by visiting teams in Foxboro.

16. Ben Had

Ben Had You're awesome! Finheaven VIP

17. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Ben Had likes this.
  18. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I don't buy the disciplined angle. Look at the following play-by-play pages for each of the three Patriots playoff games and search for the word "holding". You'll find that not a single holding penalty was called on the Patriots during a pass play.
    * Against Tennessee Brady had 53 pass attempts, during which NE had no holding calls: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201801130nwe.htm#all_pbp
    * Against Jacksonville Brady had 38 pass attempts, during which NE had no holding calls: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201801210nwe.htm#all_pbp
    * Against Philadelphia Brady had 48 pass attempts, during which NE had no holding calls: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201802040nwe.htm#all_pbp

I know that the NFL has fewer penalties in the playoffs, but I'm supposed to believe that in 139 pass attempts, not a single NE lineman, RB, or TE held? Against those defensive lines? Sell that nonsense elsewhere.

joenhre likes this.
  19. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

If you watch closely their offensive line is holding on most plays especially their center Andrews they just never get called.

20. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Ridiculous. Some penalties i.e holding, occur when you are physically beaten and you are trying to protect your QB. They have a solid Oline, but they are not 5 pro bowL caliber players.
    It defies logic that they had no offensive penalties through 2 playoff games, especially considering the type of defense Jacksonville has. Discipline doesn’t prevent you from being beaten by a physically better player.
    There are a lot of non calls when the Pats are on offense.

21. Highzenga

Go cry about refs if you want. NE will cut you if you turn over the football or commit penalties. Suh gets flagged every game and we lose our cool and fight multiple times a year. We’ve been among the most penalized teams the last two years. This is a direct correlation with our record

22. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

Smart, they are cheaters through and through. Theres been way too many allegations for this to not be the case. From Mike Martz, Peyton Manning, Panthers GM in the pats 2nd SB, etc.

23. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

There was so much negative talk about the Patriots before the SB I could see why they didn't get the benefit of the doubt on replay. I hate the patriots, but some of those calls could have been overturned IMO.

24. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

When BB's best buddy took the HC job for the Fins, he had the offices swept for bugs... That tells you all you need to know...

25. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

Amy source on that? Because that is pretty interesting

26. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  27. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Just read the book in my avatar.
    I am sure some of the Spygate issues are still in play for the Patriots (i.e. extended communication to the QB). The NFL and the Patriots did narrow Spygate successfully to some "taping pregame". But that was never the real issue.

28. GreenMts

GreenMts Seasoned Veteran

um - the Pats don't hold or it doesn't get called? At best they've been well coached to hide their holding. Likely is that the refs "help" because the money acknowledges the league needs to keep TB12 around. Unlikely - straight up full conspiracy.

29. Highzenga

Oh...it’s the refs that make them good? Lmfao!!

30. GreenMts

GreenMts Seasoned Veteran

I didn't say that. The Patriots are good - that's not debatable. I go so far as to say they are great.

I just think you are naive if you can't imagine a scenario where the refs intentionally favor them because it is more profitable for the league. Business in America is fairly corrupt when you get through the facade. NFL is no different and there's plenty of evidence of corruption in sports over the years. Why you find the notion of the refs helping out teams in the NFL so outside the realm of possibility is beyond me. So keep laughing and wearing the rose colored glasses. When I watch games I see inexplicable officiating that is either explained by shear incompetence or willful attempts to influence outcomes.

31. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

They didn't win it, though. So maybe not a conspiracy.