Could somebody explain the AP poll to me | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could somebody explain the AP poll to me

Motion said:
Neither one of them play defense. :wink:
No, but they make the offense so much better, and that in turn betters the defense. It wouldn't help the D significantly, but their offense would return to overwhelming. It's still early, and voters are easily turned a team w/ past success like USC turns it on against Cal and UCLA. If their offense returns to form, I wouldn't put anything past the voters.

finswin56 said:
No, but they make the offense so much better, and that in turn betters the defense. It wouldn't help the D significantly, but their offense would return to overwhelming. It's still early, and voters are easily turned a team w/ past success like USC turns it on against Cal and UCLA. If their offense returns to form, I wouldn't put anything past the voters.

Fair enough, I still think the lose to Cal and possibly ND.

how would you guys like to see the A.P polls ranked? make it decent...

1. Ohio State- i'll give them that, they have an excellent team with smith, gonzalez, Ginn
2. USC- they havent shown be anything special this season, there just living off hype in my opinion of the years past
3.WVU- I dont see a reason why not, 2 heisman cantidates on there team. Well i think so, steve slaton and pat white, reguardless of there schedule, there straight kicking the crap out of there opponents and our passing game is really opening up
4. Florida- Chris leak is a fine athlete and there hard to beat. We learned that we they went to ole' rocky top and took down the vols
5. Michigan- Henne,manningham, and mike hart are sick on offense. There D is dominating opponents in every way shape and form possible

WestVirginiaFan said:

1. Ohio State- i'll give them that, they have an excellent team with smith, gonzalez, Ginn
2. USC- they havent shown be anything special this season, there just living off hype in my opinion of the years past
3.WVU- I dont see a reason why not, 2 heisman cantidates on there team. Well i think so, steve slaton and pat white, reguardless of there schedule, there straight kicking the crap out of there opponents and our passing game is really opening up
4. Florida- Chris leak is a fine athlete and there hard to beat. We learned that we they went to ole' rocky top and took down the vols
5. Michigan- Henne,manningham, and mike hart are sick on offense. There D is dominating opponents in every way shape and form possible

I think the way they have it is how it should be.

OSU
Florida
USC
Michigan
WVU

Everyone knows I am a WVU fan from my postings on this forum.

That said so far this year in the preseason rankings and now in the current AP polls I am satisfied at where WVU is. Sure my homerism made me think we should have been one spot higher preseason, and now I would like to have stayed at 4 ahead of Mich. Reality is WVU is getting alot of respect for the team they have and are still a top 5 team.

I have absolutely no problem with the voters ranking Florida at number 2 and jumping a few teams to get there. I feel the SEC is the toughest conference and with the schedules they play if an SEC team is undefeated one of them should be ranked top 2.

With Michigan jumpin over us to 4 isn't that big of a deal. They still have to play Ohio St. and therefore both teams can't go undefeated.

USC is the only top 5 that I don't think has really earned the right to keep their spot. They are going on reputation and just barely escaped with a win over 2 unranked teams the past 2 weeks. They did beat Nebraska so that gives them some credance. Anyways I think they will fall off at some point this season and be out of the picture.

When Nov 2nd gets here the BigDog in the BigEast will be decided and the whole picture will start to shape up better. WVU has to win that game and show alot to even stay in the NC hunt.

Right now the NC is shaping up to be a Big10 - SEC matchup. I would bet either Ohio St or Mich will go undefeated and the team that does that is in the NC. WVU's only chance is that the SEC plays out to where a one loss team plays a 2 loss team in the SEC title game and the 2 loss team wins. Those Conf Championship games are really a crap shoot. The Conf gets extra money from the game but is it really worth it to have a school lose out on the NC game? Ahh but the parity of NCAA football you have to love it, that is why there is so much controvercy and discussion about the game.

My hope this year is that WVU goes undfeated and wins their BCS game. The NC really isn't in their hands. A few things have to play out for WVU to get a shot. That is the reality. As a WVU fan you have to accept it for this year.

The BigEast has made big strides this year and will have to make a good showing in the bowl season. Then next year maybe WVU's fate can be in their own hands.

WestVirginiaFan said:

I'd rank them:

1. OSU
2. Florida
3. Michigan
4. WVU
5. USC

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:
Everyone knows I am a WVU fan from my postings on this forum.

That said so far this year in the preseason rankings and now in the current AP polls I am satisfied at where WVU is. Sure my homerism made me think we should have been one spot higher preseason, and now I would like to have stayed at 4 ahead of Mich. Reality is WVU is getting alot of respect for the team they have and are still a top 5 team.

I have absolutely no problem with the voters ranking Florida at number 2 and jumping a few teams to get there. I feel the SEC is the toughest conference and with the schedules they play if an SEC team is undefeated one of them should be ranked top 2.

With Michigan jumpin over us to 4 isn't that big of a deal. They still have to play Ohio St. and therefore both teams can't go undefeated.

USC is the only top 5 that I don't think has really earned the right to keep their spot. They are going on reputation and just barely escaped with a win over 2 unranked teams the past 2 weeks. They did beat Nebraska so that gives them some credance. Anyways I think they will fall off at some point this season and be out of the picture.

When Nov 2nd gets here the BigDog in the BigEast will be decided and the whole picture will start to shape up better. WVU has to win that game and show alot to even stay in the NC hunt.

Right now the NC is shaping up to be a Big10 - SEC matchup. I would bet either Ohio St or Mich will go undefeated and the team that does that is in the NC. WVU's only chance is that the SEC plays out to where a one loss team plays a 2 loss team in the SEC title game and the 2 loss team wins. Those Conf Championship games are really a crap shoot. The Conf gets extra money from the game but is it really worth it to have a school lose out on the NC game? Ahh but the parity of NCAA football you have to love it, that is why there is so much controvercy and discussion about the game.

My hope this year is that WVU goes undfeated and wins their BCS game. The NC really isn't in their hands. A few things have to play out for WVU to get a shot. That is the reality. As a WVU fan you have to accept it for this year.

The BigEast has made big strides this year and will have to make a good showing in the bowl season. Then next year maybe WVU's fate can be in their own hands.
Nice post. To add to that thought of conference championships... I really think as long as there is not playoff, every BCS conference should be forced to schedule a championship game. It's absurd that the SEC, Big-12, and ACC teams have to deal with that. It's not just an extra game, it's against the other division's champion. IMO, if a team comes into that game undefeated, and slips up, they shouldn't drop under a team w/o a conference championship.

BTW, I don't know that I would change it much
OSU
UF
UM
USC
WV
Louisville

I'll stick with USC at 4 until Jarret and Smith return to full strength, and then USC continue's to struggle. OR, if WV beats Louisville. That would be a huge win. I have to make a top 6 w/ Louisville, because I feel they're right there with WV, as long a Brohm can come back. They've been every bit as impressive as WV. Louisville could have laid down after Bush was lost, and Brohm got injured. Instead they throttle was has to be considered in the very least, a quality opponent in Miami. Not great, but better than WV has faced thus far.

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:
Yeah, that's about the long and short of it...

My two cents:
1. - Ohio State (has done absolutely nothing to lose the top spot)
2. - Florida (impressive win last week)
3. - WVU (I'm telling you, this team is going places...strength of sched. be damned)
4. - Michigan (looking better and better every week)
5. - USC (good team, but only this high because of past accomplishments)
6. - Louisville (very impressive team, probably should be ahead of USC)

Back
Top Bottom