Could we be looking at this wrong? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could we be looking at this wrong?

You were obviously seeing something I wasn’t seeing. While I think Sieler played very well and deserved the new contract the Dolphins gave him. Wilkins is one of the top DT’s in the entire league and the Dolphins will miss his play on the field and his leadership on the team.
We will miss him, but we couldn’t live with paying him $2.5m less per season than we’re paying Tyreek.

It just comes down to Miami going all in with trades for Hill, Chubb and Ramsey and then having salary cap issues.

Had the Dolphins remained relatively healthy, that all in approach may have meant some playoff success.

I still contend that smart teams find ways to keep a player like Wilkins, who hasn't missed a game in six years. Rare for this roster.

But I'm willing to give Grier leeway. He assembled a talented roster and you just can't keep everyone in a salary cap format.

I heard someone say that Miami might be approaching things differently than most think. Instead of the Dolphins trying to replace Christian Wilkins they may be saying that Sieler is Wilkins replacement and they are trying to find pieces to add to the front to do what Sieler did. Could that be the case? I think they are approaching it that way because Sieler has played well. I was just wondering if you guys agreed with this or if it makes sense at all.
Assuming Weaver brings over the scheme from the Baltimore Ravens, then we are going to rotate 4 players every game at the Defensive end position in the 3/4 base alignment.

Last year Wilkins & Sieler had like 90% of the snaps and we didn’t rotate at all. So the scheme is going to be different and calls for more bodies for the rotation. Would it have been good in an ideal world if Wilkins was one of those 4 bodies? Of course it would’ve. However, can the front 7 be stout against the run and get pressure against the Qb just as well as last year if not improve and do better? Yes.

We did improve our coverage by adding Brooks & Fuller, so perhaps that will buy our pass rush more time to get there & Weaver will likely bring more blitz’s than Fangs did because that’s what the system he is installing calls for, and of course more bodies that should be a bit fresher and not wear down as much is The theory.

So in summary, Sieler is Sieler, but there will be another player rotating from his position and taking more snaps now, and there is an open competition for two players to take Wilkins spot. That’s what all of the players we signed at Dtackle are for, with the exception of Benito Jones who is replacing Raekwon Davis at the zero tech. We will likely add more bodies to compete for those 3 rotational spots (Sieler + 3 more) in the draft, and possibly other free agents, or cuts or what have you.

At least that’s what it looks like to me…

Last edited:
It just comes down to Miami going all in with trades for Hill, Chubb and Ramsey and then having salary cap issues.

Had the Dolphins remained relatively healthy, that all in approach may have meant some playoff success.

I still contend that smart teams find ways to keep a player like Wilkins, who hasn't missed a game in six years. Rare for this roster.

But I'm willing to give Grier leeway. He assembled a talented roster and you just can't keep everyone in a salary cap format.
Cap or not, the contract Wilkins got was bad value...

Assuming Weaver brings over the scheme from the Baltimore Ravens, then we are going to rotate 4 players every game at the Defensive end position in the 3/4 base alignment.

Last year Wilkins & Sieler had like 90% of the snaps and we didn’t rotate at all. So the scheme is going to be different and calls for more bodies for the rotation. Would it have been good in an ideal world if Wilkins was one of those 4 bodies? Of course it would’ve. However, can the front 7 be stout against the run and get pressure against the Qb just as well as last year if not improve and do better? Yes.

We did improve our coverage by adding Brooks & Fuller, so perhaps that will buy our pass rush more time to get there & Weaver will likely bring more blitz’s than Fangs did because that’s what the system he is installing calls for, and of course more bodies that should be a bit fresher and not wear down as much is The theory.

So in summary, Sieler is Sieler, but there will be another player rotating from his position and taking more snaps now, and there is an open competition for two players to take Wilkins spot. That’s what all of the players we signed at Dtackle are for, with the exception of Benito Jones who is replacing Raekwon Davis at the zero tech. We will likely add more bodies to compete for those 3 rotational spots (Sieler + 3 more) in the draft, and possibly other free agents, or cuts or what have you.

At least that’s what it looks like to me…

This is a good explanation of what I think will happen...only he did it in a more articulate way that I would have.

I was all aboard with Fangio and the whole concept of "he's been working on new things." I thought we would see an innovative version of his established scheme. It was...disappointing.

Wilkins and Sieler are duplicative. Both are Pro Bowl quality 3-techs and neither is a two-gapper. They were both too good to keep either off the field, but they didn’t really complement each other that well in the defense. I like the idea of putting a glass chewing two gapper next to Sieler to free up the edges and ILBs to fly around and make plays.

Wilkins and Sieler are duplicative. Both are Pro Bowl quality 3-techs and neither is a two-gapper. They were both too good to keep either off the field, but they didn’t really complement each other that well in the defense. I like the idea of putting a glass chewing two gapper next to Sieler to free up the edges and ILBs to fly around and make plays.
So the nose tackle was Raekwon Davis last year, and was replaced with Benito jones this year. Another space eater, one who could command double teams isn’t a horrible idea, for a jumbo package especially against running downs. I’m looking forward to see what Benito Jones looks like this training camp…

As for duplicative, I would strongly disagree. They were both strong vs the run and played off of each other well and had 19 sacks together. That’s a lot of production. Wilkins will be missed, but he wasn’t worth the money, and we can still get production from our front 7. We may blitz more, but that’s okay…

Last edited:
I don't care what defense we run it could be 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 or 12-0! Just for the love of everything holy just put Ramsey on the other teams best wideout before he catches his 20th pass in a row!

I don't care what defense we run it could be 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 or 12-0! Just for the love of everything holy just put Ramsey on the other teams best wideout before he catches his 20th pass in a row!
And by that, you mostly mean no more Kohou on Diggs! Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom