Could we be looking at this wrong? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could we be looking at this wrong?

As an aside, the Robert Hunt contract is one of the worst I've ever seen in the history of free agency.
I looked thru some FA signings and their cost, and several of our guys that left seemed to have been overpaid, maybe even vastly (good for them), while we generally got good value for who we acquired.

Maybe or the truth is that Wilkins was not great and there’s not much to replace. He was a good player that played well vs really awful lines obtaining 6.5 of his 9.5 vs bottom 5 lines in 5 games vs the pats/jets/panthers. We’ve had back to back 22nd and 24th ranked scoring defense which is pretty much bottom fourth tier defense. This was not Bruce Smith leading that early 90’s Bills D. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player and would of loved to have him back but he’s worth closer to half of what he got then he is to 27 million a year.

Wilkins was a nice player but he would ghost in as many games as he impacted. We can extend the playoff win drought without him.

I feel this is accurate

And so my guess for first and second round draft picks are WR and OL … in whichever order the draft falls to us
I certainly agree with OL, but with the new TE (isn’t he sort of a big WR?) I would still feel we need OL again, DL, Edge, or LBer over WR 3.

Food Baby Cheat Day GIF by The Protein Chef

NFL Free Agency. Where the Bloat and Gloat reign on.

I certainly agree with OL, but with the new TE (isn’t he sort of a big WR?) I would still feel we need OL again, DL, Edge, or LBer over WR 3.

This team DEFINITELY isn’t looking at WRs in the first or second round.

This is a good explanation of what I think will happen...only he did it in a more articulate way that I would have.

I was all aboard with Fangio and the whole concept of "he's been working on new things." I thought we would see an innovative version of his established scheme. It was...disappointing.
Fangio, in season 1, did not perform like we all hoped. But wasn’t his system supposed to be very complex? Maybe take at least a full season before the players were comfortable?

I looked thru some FA signings and their cost, and several of our guys that left seemed to have been overpaid, maybe even vastly (good for them), while we generally got good value for who we acquired.
I think teams plan on over paying at a few positions- positions of higher need. Probably all teams have a mix of the guy they overpaid, the guy about even, and the guy they got a steal.

All the big deals are done now, so we will see more team bargaining with remaining players. If I was one of the remaining I would put an emphasis on my chances of winning. :ffic:

Fangio, in season 1, did not perform like we all hoped. But wasn’t his system supposed to be very complex? Maybe take at least a full season before the players were comfortable?

I believe that’s correct to an extent, but his adamant refusal to adapt his scheme in the slightest to utilize the strengths of his players was inexcusable.

Sieler and Wilkins offered plenty of redundancy. They had to be out there all the time because nobody else on the roster offered remotely similar skill set. I don't think fans watched Raekwon Davis often enough to realize how drastically it changed during his snaps. I keep reading about his replacement. Why would you want to?

Sieler fills the Wilkins role but his snap count will drop sharply, at least if the Ravens model is any indication. They don't believe in defensive linemen receiving 75 or 80% or anything close to that. It rarely reaches mid 60s.

It's going to be shuffleboard with the non-Sieler interior guys receiving 30-55% apiece, depending on level of trust. Last season was the first time Benito Jones got significant snaps. I hope he's not depending on that again. Detroit's philosophy was essentially to stuff the run and mostly unconcerned toward how weak they were against the pass. You'll get your yards and points. We'll outscore you using 4 downs to 3.

Linebacker snap count is where it has really varied with the Ravens. If you're healthy and special you're staying out there all the time. Queen and Roquan Smith each had upwards of 92% last season. Likewise for Queen the prior year.

I just hope that the player we get at 21 it becomes a difference maker.
I'd sure like to see Byron Murphy at 21. Or Johnny Newton. I don't expect either though. Weaver has a rep for taking 3rd to 6th-round IDLs and coaching them up to solid starters. If I had to bet on one IDL at any point, I'd guess Maason Smith. Either at 55 or after a trade down 5-10 spots.

Back
Top Bottom