Countdown To Camp: Dolphins' Defense Struggled With Suh, So Does It Really Matter Who Replaces Him? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Countdown To Camp: Dolphins' Defense Struggled With Suh, So Does It Really Matter Who Replaces Him?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Our defense may be better because we added some pieces like Minkah, we get some of our corners back, and assuming health there is a lot of upside to the LB play this year.

But having acknowledged that the logic of "the defense struggled so does Suh matter" is the like saying that a person who can't walk very well because his left knee is bad doesn't really need a right knee that much....

I'm getting the feeling that Suh was good for Suh. I've always felt when a player who is "larger than life" and gets a huge unequal paycheck there has got to be some psychological impact on the surrounding players. I know these players should be professional, but how can someone who is making 1% of Suh's paycheck bust his tail twice as hard? Now that Suh is gone, and most of the guys are playing on more equal monetary levels, these young guys will want to be "the man". At least I hope some of these guys have pride in their work.

Suh will definitely be missed. He was constantly double teamed and still we got ran on. Just have to hope Phillips is ready to pick up some of the slack. We'll probably still have problems vs the run, but I know this offense is going to put up points and that'll help. Linebacking should be much improved too with McMillan back.

The thing that's tough to factor is Suh's free-lancing. I have to think everyone on being the same page will be a good thing.

The thing that's tough to factor is Suh's free-lancing. I have to think everyone on being the same page will be a good thing.

I honestly don't know what to make of the free-lancing reports. I don't doubt that he did free-lance, but how often and how big of a problem it was I'm not sure. What I do know is if he DID free-lance, it would definitely hurt the defense, much like Byron Maxwell was hurting the secondary by supposedly free-lancing as well. Sometimes certain vets think they know best and can make an inexperienced D-coordinator look even worse. And an inexperienced D-coordinator in turn makes players feel like they DO know best. It's a vicious cycle.

Burke may be a terrible D-coordinator, but he still needs players who can respect their assignments.

Not at all. I'm still available if T bum wants to hit me up. Wouldn't be the worst decision he's made.

What I do know is if he DID free-lance, it would definitely hurt the defense, much like Byron Maxwell was hurting the secondary by supposedly free-lancing as well. Sometimes certain vets think they know best and can make an inexperienced D-coordinator look even worse..

I'd still take Maxwell over Lippett or Tank right now, to start opposite Howard.

Last edited:
There were enough weaknesses on our D that they could negate Suh and attack any of a number of places.

I'd still take Maxwell over Lippett or Tank right now, to start opposite Howard.

This depends; are we talking the Maxwell who played like he was supposed to, or the Maxwell who ignored his assignment and played 7 yards off the LOS?

Because if it’s the latter, I take Lippett or Tank in a heartbeat.

The bottom line is the Dolphins have to get it done, Suh is gone, he couldn't be afforded anymore, and our young players have to step up and fill the void.

I honestly don't know what to make of the free-lancing reports. I don't doubt that he did free-lance, but how often and how big of a problem it was I'm not sure. What I do know is if he DID free-lance, it would definitely hurt the defense, much like Byron Maxwell was hurting the secondary by supposedly free-lancing as well. Sometimes certain vets think they know best and can make an inexperienced D-coordinator look even worse. And an inexperienced D-coordinator in turn makes players feel like they DO know best. It's a vicious cycle.

Burke may be a terrible D-coordinator, but he still needs players who can respect their assignments.
Exactly. Suh is very smart and can see things pre-snap but if he guesses wrong or doesn't communicate well it could really screw the whole defense up.
Again, we don't know how much it happened but I'm not sure it was a good thing at all

This depends; are we talking the Maxwell who played like he was supposed to, or the Maxwell who ignored his assignment and played 7 yards off the LOS?

Because if it’s the latter, I take Lippett or Tank in a heartbeat.
Exactly!!! Defense is a coordinated, team concept. This concept is why gauging the loss of Suh is difficult at this time. I hear about freelancing but I don't know what his assignments actually were.

Back
Top Bottom