Countdown To Camp: Dolphins' Defense Struggled With Suh, So Does It Really Matter Who Replaces Him? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Countdown To Camp: Dolphins' Defense Struggled With Suh, So Does It Really Matter Who Replaces Him?

I honestly don't know what to make of the free-lancing reports. I don't doubt that he did free-lance, but how often and how big of a problem it was I'm not sure. What I do know is if he DID free-lance, it would definitely hurt the defense, much like Byron Maxwell was hurting the secondary by supposedly free-lancing as well. Sometimes certain vets think they know best and can make an inexperienced D-coordinator look even worse. And an inexperienced D-coordinator in turn makes players feel like they DO know best. It's a vicious cycle.

Burke may be a terrible D-coordinator, but he still needs players who can respect their assignments.

One thing about maxwell freelancing was that you saw Jones after every play rip maxwell. Who was gonna lay into suh?

There were enough weaknesses on our D that they could negate Suh and attack any of a number of places.

Ultimately this is the truth.

And quite honestly, I am tempted to put quite a bit of money on the Rams to come out the NFC.

Those are the two best interior lineman in the game on one team, with a shitload of talent behind them, where in Miami, Suh had a bottom 5 LB group most of his tenure, pretty average to below average defensive line mates (sans Cam Wake) and essentially a developmental secondary (sans Reshad Jones).

Throw in the whole defensive philosophy of needing to play with a lead yet falling behind more often than not during his tenure . . . And yea, Suh’s impact was diminished. Now he goes to the highest scoring offense in the NFL . . .lol.

He’ll be missed, and without much improvement at LB and DT . . . This is easily the most worrisome area of the team (outside of Ryan’s health). Miami needs the offense to get off to quick starts and allow their DEs and secondary to be in winning spots.

Well gotta hope Rawkon is a monster at middle linebacker because we are probably going to need it. I certainly hope there is a backup plan for Rawkon also cause we are looking at a rookie who is has a bad knee that many on this site expect a whole lot of performance out of.

Well gotta hope Rawkon is a monster at middle linebacker because we are probably going to need it. I certainly hope there is a backup plan for Rawkon also cause we are looking at a rookie who is has a bad knee that many on this site expect a whole lot of performance out of.

Just because you hurt your knee doesn’t make it a bad knee.

I don't like the line of reasoning that because the defense was bad with him here, they won't lose anything from his departure.

They're absolutely going to miss him.

I don't like the line of reasoning that because the defense was bad with him here, they won't lose anything from his departure.

That line of thinking has undeniable merit though.

If we were 30th in the NFL with him how drastic is the fall going to be IF we are worse? I mean we were absolutely abysmal with him manning the middle 80+% of the snaps, maybe a rotation is needed.

We'll find out in a few weeks at this point. I'm optimistic about a rotation at DT and very excited to have that money freed up in another year.

It's going to cut one of two ways:
1) He was every bit as good as everyone (myself included) thinks he was and we're going to be in a world of hurt for a season or two until we can draft enough on D to cover every problem that his presence hid

2) Some of our young ones and our FA's live up to most of their potential and coaches design a game plan that fits our talent (instead of coaching our talent to match their plan). If we got a reasonable dose of both, we'll be ok, but will still need the offense to be the primary driver of wins. If it all clicks on D, we could be better than OK with a reasonably balanced team.

Until we see a couple of games, it's not unreasonable to expect the former. After years of heartbreak, I'm ready for the ball to bounce our way for a change and I'm crossing my fingers for the latter.

Over the years good players come and go.
The guys on the team NOW have to establish themselves as good players.
If they all understand and follow their assignments, and play hard every play, we can be good or great defense.
If Burke is a good coach, he will make the right calls and disguise the snap defense to put players in the best position.
Right now I am opptimistic for the team.

Throw in the whole defensive philosophy of needing to play with a lead yet falling behind more often than not...

It's been the same for years now, whether it's Philbin's offense and Coyle's defense or Gase's offense and Joseph or Burke's defense. Who in their right mind wants a defense built to play with a lead when their offense usually can't score until nearly half-time and they're down 2 or 3 scores? I know many fans love Gase, but his offense has been sluggish in the beginning of games just like Philbin's offense.

I agree with your logic, but no one knows if he'll be missed, much less "absolutely."

It's been the same for years now, whether it's Philbin's offense and Coyle's defense or Gase's offense and Joseph or Burke's defense. Who in their right mind wants a defense built to play with a lead when their offense usually can't score until nearly half-time and they're down 2 or 3 scores? I know many fans love Gase, but his offense has been sluggish in the beginning of games just like Philbin's offense.

OTOH, I don't like 'we'll build a D to play from behind,' Just build a solid D

I don't get it...

What I read here (mostly) is that the loss of Suh will be missed ….a bunch...double teams, stud etc....but we are the only team in the NFL that had Suh and our defense wasn't ranked very high and frankly wasn't that good....

31 other teams didn't have the MIGHTY Suh and yet 12 of those teams qualified for the playoffs...and 2 of those teams went to the Super Bowl….point is one man isn't better than one team

I think our defense was ranked 29th overall and 17th vs run....With Suh....how is he such a difference maker???...WE NEED SACKS AND TURNOVERS.....

We have upgraded at LB, DB and DL...we have also improved depth (talent)….

It's difficult for me to see that we are going to be worse on defense with a second year of Burkes scheme and the upgrade of talent and depth

Blast away and inform me because I am not seeing a huge drop off (if any) in our ranking from last year...I believe we survive without Suh and improve significantly from the 29th overall ranking

Back
Top Bottom