Croyle vs. Cutler: You Make The Call | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Croyle vs. Cutler: You Make The Call

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Brodie Croyle
Strengths:
1. Toughness: Croyle stands strong in the pocket and will tuck it down and run when the opportunity presents itself. In fact, coaches had to work hard to get him to slide because he often threw his body into harms way in order to get those extra yards. This is not an issue.
2. System: Croyle was in a pro style system which asked him to make every throw on the field. He took snaps under center. He took three, five and seven step drops. He even played in the shotgun when the opportunity presented itself. He will be ahead of the curve compared to most college quarterbacks moving to the next level.
3. Pass Accuracy: Croyle is a very accurate quarterback who excels at the short, intermediate and deep routes. He may be the most accurate quarterback in the draft. This is a real strength.
4. Arm Strength / Velocity: This may sounds impossible given his slender frame, but, Croyle has good arm strength. He can make every throw on the field. What makes this even more encouraging is that his arm strength will only improve as he gets in the weight room at the next level.
5. Release: Croyle has an excellent release with very little wasted motion. This is a real strength.
6. Mobility: Croyle is a very mobile quarterback who is capable of picking up first downs when the play breaks down. He is a good athlete and moves very well in the pocket and on bootlegs.
7. Pocket Presence: Croyle shows excellent poise in the pocket. He moves very well and appears to have that sixth sense in regards to the pass rush. He makes good decisions and seems to understand his role. He never forces throws and always takes what the defense gives him.
8. Career Consistency: I don’t think this is an issue since he has played extremely well for over two years now. Also, he was a highly rated high school recruit, so it is obvious he has played at a high level for awhile.

Weaknesses:
1. Injury History: This is a significant concern for Croyle. He blew an ACL in high school. He missed two games because of a shoulder injury as a sophomore. He missed ten games after blowing another ACL as a junior. Although he remained healthy as a senior, this remains a significant issue because of his slender build and track record.
2. Build: This is also a significant concern for Croyle. He has a very slender build with little muscle in the upper body. His 200 pound frame will need at least ten more pounds in the upper body to protect him from the every day rigors of the NFL. This should be remedied in his first full season in the NFL.

Conclusion:
If Brodie Croyle was fifteen pounds heavier and injury free we would be talking about a sure fire first round pick. Unfortunately for Croyle, teams are going to be concerned about investing too much in this very talented quarterback who might not be able to stay healthy. The bottom line is this, if his knees check out medically and he shows the willingness to gain weight at the next level, then you can feel comfortable spending a 2nd round pick on him. However, until then, he is a third round pick with first round skills and fifth round injuries. Croyle is boom or bust depending on health. Good health, and he will make some team very happy, bad health, and he will be just another backup quarterback.

Jay Cutler
Strengths:
1. Toughness: Jay runs with reckless abandon and throws his body into harms way when scrambling with the football. However, he is often very skittish in the pocket, as evidenced by constantly throwing off his back foot and throwing with all arm. That being said, it should be noted that this behavior could be due to bad coaching and the wear and tear of playing on a bad team.
2. Build: Jay possesses an ideal frame. This will not be an issue.
3. Arm Strength: Jay possesses elite arm strength and velocity. Also, his arm strength and velocity will only improve as his footwork and mechanics improve.
4. Release: Jay gets the ball out very quickly. However, when his footwork starts to deteriorate, his mechanics often go to. That causes his release to slow up a bit.
5. Mobility: Jay is very mobile. He is capable of getting first downs with his feet and extending the play once things break down.
6. Injury History: Jay missed only one start in his four years as a starter.
7. System: The system that Jay plays in allows him to read complex SEC defenses. The system also allows him to take the ball from under center and in the shotgun.
8. Career Consistency: Jay has thrown more touchdowns than interceptions in all four years as a starter. That is a feat considering he is playing in the SEC and considering the talent he has around him.
9. Pass Accuracy: Jay shows pinpoint accuracy when he sets his feet and steps into the throw. However, his accuracy drops off (not as much as you would expect) as his mechanics and footwork drop off.

Weaknesses:
1. Pocket Presence: Jay is very skittish in the pocket. He rarely sets his feet and constantly throws off his back foot. However, despite this behavior, he often remains accurate and finds a way to get it done. That being said, the downside to that is that he will have to be “re-built†because he will not be able to overcome those issues at the next level.

Conclusion:
Physically, Jay is a top ten prospect. He has a great frame, shows excellent velocity, and is a pinpoint passer when he sets his feet and steps into the throw. However, I have serious questions about his intangible. He is always sitting by himself on the sidelines. You never see him smile. He is always yelling at teammates or rolling his eyes when talking to coaches. Also, the fact that his footwork is so bad makes me think it is possible that he is “un-coachableâ€Â. However, in his defense, he has wasted away on a bad team that struggles when pass protecting and drops many passes in clutch situations.
To me, the bottom line is that even if this behavior is a direct result of playing for Vanderbilt for four years, Jay Cutler is still going to have to be completely “re-built†as a quarterback. That can take years. Therefore, you better be sure about his mental makeup before you draft him, because if you’re not, and he does possess the mental make-up I am describing, you will have wasted a draft pick.

If you pound Croyle into the ground in the first half he folds in the 2nd. He becomes extremely skittish. Otherwise good analysis. Croyle is my choice

Good read, i'd go with Cutler if he was at 16. He probably won't be though. (Arizona #10)

I've read that Croyle might not have the arm to throw the out routes in the NFL, but in your analysis his arm strength is praised. I don't know enough about him, so... Which is it?

popularwar said:
I've read that Croyle might not have the arm to throw the out routes in the NFL
He throws arguably the BEST out-route of any QB this year. He has a very live arm.

I would pick Coyle.... but the knees have me worried.

He made a huge difference on the field when he was at 'Bama. THe first few games of the 04 season bama did well. After he was injured, the team just fell apart.

He was healthy during the 05 season and the team went on a 8 game winning streak. Not bad.

There is no question, Jay Cutler is the pick.

The writer, whoever it is?(we used to actually source our info on this board), seems to be a bit anti-Cutler, to say Jay needs to be completely re-built is a major stretch, he needs good coaching and a team on a level field to the one he's playing against and I think his small problems will fade away very fast.

Croyle may turn out to be ok, but his injury history and frame make me very leary, however, if we can't get Cutler he's worth a shot.

In regards to the question about Croyle's arm strength: Look at it this way. I feel that it is easily comparable, if not better than Alex Smith and significantly better than Matt Leinart.

I believe that Miami should/will draft him in the 2nd if his knees check out and he shows he is willing to gain weight.

I do think Cutler is better than Croyle, but I'd rather take Croyle in the 3rd than Cutler in the 1st.

I am not anti-Cutler. I just go on what I see. There are four areas where Cutler is better than Croyle. Arm strength / Athletic Ability / Injury History / Build.

Croyle is better in all other regards. Accuracy / Decision Making / Poise. Those are the three things that mean the most to me.

Both have issues, but, IF Croyle's knees check out, I would rate him higher than Cutler.

I think Cutler is a 2nd round pick.

I am ready to get blasted and I would take Croyle too. I mean I think that him and Jay are not that far apart. Injuries scare me away, But I would take that risk. I also say take Croyle instead of Cutler because we would have to move up in the Draft and get Cutler and lose more picks or something. With Croyle we sit back and pick Winston Justice or someone young on Defense. I think that would be alot better for us. Now with the Senior Bowl Croyle put himself in the 2nd round. So with all that said I would take Croyle over Cutler.

got to go with Croyle on this one for the simple fact he can be had in the 2nd round which allows us to draft a top defensive talent in the first...and when comparing talents I really don't see that 'big' dropoff of QB's after Cutler like some may say...im impressed with Croyle, although he definitely needs to put on a few lbs.

Back
Top Bottom