Culver on Our New "Fun" Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culver on Our New "Fun" Defense

Yea but he got those players to come here..Thats apart of being a college coach...

He is one of those coaches that belongs in college..

Alot of SU's recruits left after they found out he was leaving..They wanted nothing to do with Robinson..

This is that chicken and the egg kind of agrument tho..

What would Phil Jackson be without Kobe and Jordan..and Vice Versa..

But Su produced alot of pro's when he was there..and recently they produced almost none

Im not disagreeing with you, but who did he get to come there after all the talent left? RJ Anderson? Lenny Cusamono? Johnie Morant? (although Morant was a halfway decent college receiver)

Well, actually below, you answered my inquiry before I even wrote it..

I think Pasqualoni deserved to be fired, as he would tell you and as Sparano and Ireland would say, in the end there's just an accountability issue. But all this crap about an attacking defense, talking about Pasqualoni as if he wasn't aggressive and didn't blitz, blah blah blah...I hate being fed a plate of crap and told it's caviar. And it happens pretty much every year. Every defensive coordinator is better than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new defensive coordinator "attacks more" than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new offensive coordinator is "more aggressive" than the previous offensive coordinator.

Caviar IS crap!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who remembers that we could not cover a TE all year long.

They couldn't even cover that goofy deadweight that went back to the Jaguars in practice they were so bad.

Hmmm...or maybe Culver didn't think playing with Wilson and Porter was too much fun. Perhaps, Davis and Smith are a bit more relaxed now they have a year of experience. Also, Misi, Odrick, Edds, Spitler, McCoy may bring more energy to the defense also.

Not saying Nolan does not make a difference, just that "who" you play with can be just as important to having fun as the system.

Am I the only one who remembers that we could not cover a TE all year long.

They couldn't even cover that goofy deadweight that went back to the Jaguars in practice they were so bad.

How about making justin gage look like a pro bowler

There were a lot of things that went into the lack of TE coverage.

Part of it is the fact that Pasqualoni allowed certain players to play too aggressively, and the scheme itself was too aggressive.

Real good article and nice find. In the end I think it will be Culver who ends up being are starting FS and not Clemons.

Pasqualoni was terrible. I still don't understand how our defense dominated the Saints and then all of sudden we blow a huge lead. That game has to be the worst game of the season by far. Henning was too conservative, Pasq. was too safe.

I think Pasqualoni deserved to be fired, as he would tell you and as Sparano and Ireland would say, in the end there's just an accountability issue. But all this crap about an attacking defense, talking about Pasqualoni as if he wasn't aggressive and didn't blitz, blah blah blah...I hate being fed a plate of crap and told it's caviar. And it happens pretty much every year. Every defensive coordinator is better than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new defensive coordinator "attacks more" than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new offensive coordinator is "more aggressive" than the previous offensive coordinator.

I laughed.

I think the only D coordinator in Dolphins history this actually applies to is Olividotti, who I remember VIVIDLY desribing his defense as a "Read and react" defense that pulled the line off the ball more than the norm in order to do so.

I think that does constitute one of the differences. They're drilling that where I don't know that most defenses do. But it's really a minor difference.

Another difference is that Nolan tries to spread out his linebacker blitzing among the two inside linebackers and one of the two inside linebackers a little more evenly. I think Pasqualoni would blitz more with Porter and Taylor, less with Ayodele and Crowder (can you blame him?), where Nolan would take a few of those blitzes off Porter's and Taylor's hands and toss them toward Akin Ayodele, who might have been replaced by Reggie Torbor in a Mike Nolan starting lineup.

This does not necessarily constitute more aggression overall. Miami had 4.36 players rushing the QB on average under Pasqualoni (4.29 in 2008 and 4.41 in 2009). If you take into account Mike Nolan's defense in San Francisco combined with his defense in Denver, he had had 4.33 players rushing the passer on average (4.22 in San Fran 2008, 4.44 in Denver 2009).

Was Nolan a tiny bit more aggressive in 2009 than Pasqualoni? Yes, by a miniscule amount. Nolan blitzed DBs every 5.6 plays in Denver, Pasqualoni in 2009 blitzed DBs every 6.4 plays. Denver had 4.44 players rushing the QB to Miami's 4.41. The differences in both are so miniscule as to barely be mentionable. And when you take 2008 into account, Pasqualoni was technically more aggressive than Nolan on a two-year basis.

We're not necessarily talking about more aggression to the QB, just a different kind of aggression. Mike Nolan will blitz the DBs just a little bit more (not much but a little). But I emphasize, the difference is not significant. The bigger difference is like I said where Pasqualoni would want guys like Taylor and Porter doing the heavy lifting from the outsides on the pass rush, Nolan will take one of his inside linebackers and make him almost as significant a blitzer as the strong side outside linebacker, who at the same time becomes a guy that drops back into coverage a lot more than Jason Taylor did.

I would say there's a little bit more movement in Nolan's defenses. Probably more fakes. More zone coverage from linebackers.

I think the difference more when, not how or how many. I may be wrong but it seems nolan is a bit more aggressive about WHEN. He doesn't just blitz when he needs to. I felt like PP was a bit more, 'lets see what the offense is gonna do and then attack them' whereas nolan is 'lets blitz them and see what they do' .

I think it goes beyond just the blitz. It's knowing when to be aggressive and when to sit back and let the other team make the mistake. It's mixing things up to keep the offense somewhat confused and not knowing what to expect. It's also knowing your personnel. Having the right players doing the right things at the right time. And getting those players to execute and play up/over their potential. PP had his good moments and some really bad one's. Some of that was his fault and some of it was his players fault. Not going to say Nolan is better or worse until I see what he does for us. But I'm encouraged by what I've seen from his elsewhere.

Some of this sounds weak. We're just to assume that Mike Nolan calls more aggressive defenses because he knows when to be aggressive and when not? How do we know he does? Let's just call it what it is. He has a reputation and we're buying it hook, line and sinker.

All I know is that if you want to talk about aggressive, Rex Ryan's defense was aggressive. He rushed an average of 4.63 players per pass attempt. Then again, he only rushed 4.26 players per pass in 2008 with Baltimore so who knows.

I think Pasqualoni required a lot more man coverage especially from linebackers and Pasqualoni is more zone oriented. Some players think that zone coverage is more attacking because they get to read the QB and go for the ball.

But the bottom line is we just have to hope that Mike Nolan is more detail-oriented and a more active and better teacher than Pasqualoni was. This stuff about moving to a "more aggressive" or "attacking" defense, as opposed to a "read and react" or whatever, it's all hooey.

CK is absolutely right here.... Pasqualadotti's defense was too aggressive.... the weaknesses on defense (rooks, young players, etc.) were too easily exposed.... it was ridiculous.

Pasq and his defense was given leads to play with.. HUGE leads at times... and every single time he couldn't hold onto it....

Teams scored on Miami's defense last year way too easily... many times it simply wasn't even a challenge...

When you're a DC and your unit is given leads to play with repeatedly,... you better find a way to hold onto it...

Players were often in the perfect spots to prevent a big play, or make a play themselves... and they just couldn't do it, and that goes for rooks and veterans...

Accountability...

Back
Top Bottom