Curtis Weaver question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Curtis Weaver question

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I was looking back at early mock drafts late last and early this year. Weaver was a 1st round pick late, some of them had him to Miami at 26. So I ask, what happened?

I was looking back at early mock drafts late last and early this year. Weaver was a 1st round pick late, some of them had him to Miami at 26. So I ask, what happened?

from kyle crabs

"Perhaps there was no single variable that led to Weaver’s tumble but it was rather the sum of a slew of inconveniences on his draft resume. "

that quote is taking from the article and pretty much sums it up. im sure other articles out there but i think alot around here like kyle

I'm just ecstatic we were able to land him. He was one of my favorite players in the draft.

He reminds me a little bit of James Harrison. What he lacks physically as a pass rusher, he makes up with great technique. Now whether that technique translates well to the pros is a different story...

I read an article yesterday where they said he's a great player in an OK body weight and fat % wise. They also discounted his accolades because he played in Boise State (don't know how that works when a Pac 12 QB with meh stats goes #6). Glad we have him. Flores will kick his butt into shape and he'll be the seal of the draft I'm thinking.

Was clamouring for the guy way earlier then where we actually drafted him. Loved the pick! Now let's get him in the building for some work and see if his body changes. Overall this could be the second best pick in our draft class.

That article and a few of these posts are not being totally earnest.
He’s incredibly limited physically. He’s got short 32 inch arms - okay well so did a famous 6 foot pass rusher who ended up in Denver - but Weaver doesn’t have the moves he did. He needs to put a lot more effort into his repertoire.
He’s incredibly limited physically. He’s got short 32 inch arms - okay well so did a famous 6 foot pass rusher who ended up in Denver - but Weaver doesn’t have the moves he did. He needs to put a lot more effort into his repertoire.

With Weaver, i like that they grabbed him and traded Harris. If you would’ve told me prior to the draft we would turn the equity of Harris + the draft value of roughly a high6th round pick into Curtis Weaver Itake that all day.

I guess part of the reason he fell is not ideal body type and not playing in a top conference.
What a steal. I could see Weaver leading the team in sacks easily his 1st year.

that could be good if it’s like 10 plus sack or bad if he leads the team with 5 sacks lol

I guess part of the reason he fell is not ideal body type and not playing in a top conference.
What a steal. I could see Weaver leading the team in sacks easily his 1st year.
I don’t think he’ll get enough playing time to lead in sacks personally.. maybe down the road he is a beast but I expect to see a lot of Ogbah, Lawson, Van Noy, Biegel, and even Baker/Raekwon before weaver

I don’t think he’ll get enough playing time to lead in sacks personally.. maybe down the road he is a beast but I expect to see a lot of Ogbah, Lawson, Van Noy, Biegel, and even Baker/Raekwon before weaver
so who is covering the TE?

Give him a year or 2 to get right physically to go with his skills and he could be the second coming of Cam Wake.
Bold statement but Cam took a while to be Cam and was playing in canada before we got him.

Weaver is a guy that probably would have been a 1st round pick 10-15 years ago. He plays great on tape. However, he lacks the ideal measurables and explosive athleticism many guys have now (like Chase Young). I see him being a Trey Flowers level player in our defensive getting 8-10 sacks a year.

Along with his squady looking body, and not so ideal wingspan, He also did not run the 40 at the Combine so there was no 40 time for him...He did run the 3 cone, which he did at a somewhat impressive 7.00.

How a players body looks should never be the key aspect of how good a player he might be in the NFL...If that were true, then Vernon Gholston would be known today as a superstar, and Zach Thomas would be an after thought.

As I have said, you can't measure what's inside a person, and like to believe it or not Weaver (Chunky body and all), was relentless, and one of the best pass-rushers of this class...no matter what conference he played for.

Back
Top Bottom