Cut Madison, sign Winfield | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cut Madison, sign Winfield

Phins34

Favorite Player: Sammy Smith
Reaction score
Just my opinion, Madison is old and continueing to get worse. He gets beat a lot now. Since the opurtunity to get a great CB in free agency is here, might as well do it now than be screwed later.

I'd be okay with that. But I think someone like Cincy is going to show Winfield big money. We're not in a position to get in a bidding war for a CB, not when the number one FA priority seems to be an offensive lineman.

The Sun-Sentinel reports that there are rumblings that Sam Madison's roster spot may not be safe despite being the franchise's most storied cornerback. Madison's play is not considered commensurate to his high base salary ($6.3 million) and cap number ($8.03 million). If they do release Madison, expect them to pursue San Francisco's Ahmed Plummer, Buffalo's Antoine Winfield and Jacksonville's Fernando Bryant.

Well, as long as we could manage it. I would say it's possible

If the guy wont even be starting, we have to do something. Who would start in his place since Fletcher is cut, we definitely would have to get somebody. We can't just put anyone out there. Even though we need a lot of work on offense, we still have to make sure our D is good enough. you need both to win in this league. I'm afraid they are going to start neglecting the D just to make us fans happy, but when we get thrown all over on it won't be happy.

I thought I read something that said it is essentially impossible to cut Madison because we will not save any money on the cap. Does anybody know if that is true? I would think that we may not save anything this year, but we should save a good bit on the remaining years of his contract.

I wouldn't mind seeing Plummer play in South Florida on Sundays.

I think any of the above options would sign for alot less than Madison and they are all at his level so why not. Frees up alot of money for oline signing.

Clump had a lengthy post about that a couple days ago. Go to his profile and click on "search for posts by this user". I can't remember where it is, though. I think we save $2 million this year, though, with the big savings coming in 2005.

And yes, I agree totally that if we cut Madison, we need to replace him with someone good and not a free agent leftover. My point was just that Winfield would probably be out of our price range. With a deep market of corners, there should be someone we could bring in for less money.

Originally posted by phunwin
Clump had a lengthy post about that a couple days ago. Go to his profile and click on "search for posts by this user".

Even easier, just click the little magifying glass next to his name, above the avatar. :)

While I'm not really impressed with Winfield as a cover man, he is an EXCELLENT tackler and run defender. He plays amazingly big for 5-9, 180 lbs. And he's only 26.

Still, it's hard to defend a 1st round pick only getting 6 INTs in 5 seasons.

Madison was just on 740AM in Orlando, their sports radio station. He seemed pretty confident he would retire a Dolphin.

If Madison would be willing to restructure and/or take a small paycut.. im all for him staying! I love Madison and always hoped he would retire a Dolphin BUT we need money and if he doesnt want to restructure and/or take a pay cut... maybe its best to end ties. Besides he and Surtain have had some difficulty with each other anyway.. maybe it would be best. :confused:

nobody in f.a. outside of shawn springs and champ bailey can carry sam's jocky strap. they'll get him restructured, the lack of sense of urgency is b/c they are under the cap so his contract is not as high of a priority as it was.

i would take ahmad plummer in a second if i thought it was at all possible. shawn springs is very overrated nowadays and injury have killed him. Fernando Bryant and winfield both have questions in their coverage abilities, but can tackle. plummer is young, solid, and would be awesome opposite Surtain, just doesn't seem possible so i have no problem keeping sam, just wish hed take the paycut he seemed willing to take just after the season ended.

Well, maybe we can get someone in the draft too.I know how good he's been but we got him in the 2nd round and we got Sam in the 2nd round too(tho it coested us a first) so we could find a corner in the draft too if we can't get someone in free agency. What I keep on thinking is that the FO is gonna trow us a curve ball in the draft and they'll take somebody that none of us is expecting.

Ozzy rules!!

problem with the draft is that most of the corners can be lumped together and very few if any stand out. Several are deemed first round talents, but most are undersized, and you can't teach size.

Originally posted by Rick 1966
Madison was just on 740AM in Orlando, their sports radio station. He seemed pretty confident he would retire a Dolphin.

Madison is going nowhere!

How many times must this be said?

I didn't hear that interview Rick but if it sounded anything like the one he did with Tony Bruno the week leading up to the Super Bowl then you know he will do whatever it takes within reason.

The Dolphins are reasonable people.

Back
Top Bottom