Cutler's rising stock getting out of Fin's reach may not be such a bad thing... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler's rising stock getting out of Fin's reach may not be such a bad thing...

Juan Cribbs said:
i've yet to hear anyone credible bash cutler for his senior bowl performance. i believe mel kiper called it "solid." too many "wannabe kipers" are forming their opinions solely on the senior bowl game, whereas scouts have watched him all week in practice, as well as a pretty good amount of his games at vanderbilt. it's pretty obvious that the only game a lot of people here (and elsewhere as well) have watched was the senior bowl.

leinart's arm is adequate enough. his mobility is better than cutler's behind the line of scrimmage. the brace on his leg is something norm chow had all of his quarterbacks wear as a safety measure.

One of the things I find so funny is perception that everyone is "bashing" Jay Cutler. My intent of this post was to try to understand why his stock continues to rise from being a 2nd round pick to now top ten, with some speculating the Jets may even take him at #4.

That is not bashing...it is truth!

I watched EVERY Senior Bowl practice and the Senior Bowl game wanting to see what the hype is all about. Where I saw accurate, strong armed throws in practice, I did not see what the hype is all about during the game. That does not mean I don't think he is a solid NFL QB prospect!!! That does not mean I am bashing him...what that means is I fail to understand why, from Nov 9 to now, he has not done anything but be the same QB he was prior to warrant such rise is stock (IMO).

I will be watching every combine workout that the NFL Network shows with great anticipation of his, and other prospect's talent showing.

BlueFin said:
Actually, Leinart is exactly the type of player that should scare you more than a Cutler.

Leinart has been surrounded by a roster full of NFL talent throughout his USC career, while he has managed games having the most talented team in college football very well, so did Ken Dorsey and Danny Wuerfel.

Like the latter two, Leinart has questions regarding whether his arm is big enough to make the NFL throws, his mobility is mediocre, and he already has a brace on his leg.

Just curious...Leinart and Cutler are on the board and it is your responsibility to make the next pick, who do you draft?

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem is that you're only associating one aspect of his play with him, and that's the senior bowl and practices. scouts are combining both his performances during senior bowl week as well as his on-the-field play. put the two together and his stock hasn't dropped. but just going by the senior bowl week isn't the best way to judge anyone. obviously based on what you saw during last week alone you can't see what the hype is about, but i liked what i saw. he showed he can learn quickly under an NFL coaching system, adjusting his mechanics and footwork and gaining chemistry with his receivers. i don't think many scouts expected him to light it up there. afterall, he's never been a in pro-style system, while guys like brodie croyle and charlie whitehurst have been, so some of the verbage and patterns were more familar to them, giving them an advantage all week long, and during the game.

endorphin said:
Just curious...Leinart and Cutler are on the board and it is your responsibility to make the next pick, who do you draft?

w/out a doubt Matt Leinart....and I like Cutler

Juan Cribbs said:
the problem is that you're only associating one aspect of his play with him, and that's the senior bowl and practices. scouts are combining both his performances during senior bowl week as well as his on-the-field play. put the two together and his stock hasn't dropped. but just going by the senior bowl week isn't the best way to judge anyone. obviously based on what you saw during last week alone you can't see what the hype is about, but i liked what i saw. he showed he can learn quickly under an NFL coaching system, adjusting his mechanics a

...nor do I think value should drop. From the little I have seen, I am impressed and intrigued by his abilities. I think to state this as simply as possible...I ask why is stock has skyrocketed from 2nd round to top 3rd of the first. Would I grab him at 16 if it were me? Yes. Would I trade up to grab him from 3-9? No

Whewww, I feel pretty safe though that Saban will make the right decision. Now, if Saban trades up and grabs him, then I trust his superior knowledge and will wait and see, quite happily I might mention.

cutler has been projected as a mid-first rounder for a few months now, and as the draft approaches, quarterback love always gets bigger, so it's logical that he'd jump up a bit on some draft boards.

Juan Cribbs said:
i've yet to hear anyone credible bash cutler for his senior bowl performance. i believe mel kiper called it "solid." too many "wannabe kipers" are forming their opinions solely on the senior bowl game, whereas scouts have watched him all week in practice, as well as a pretty good amount of his games at vanderbilt. it's pretty obvious that the only game a lot of people here (and elsewhere as well) have watched was the senior bowl.

leinart's arm is adequate enough. his mobility is better than cutler's behind the line of scrimmage. the brace on his leg is something norm chow had all of his quarterbacks wear as a safety measure.

Well, I haven't seen the arm that I want too see out of Leinart, his long balls float a lot, they will get picked in the big leagues.

I totally disagree about his mobility, he looks very awkward and stiff running the ball, Cutler looks like an athlete.

My point stands, Leinart has spent his entire career surrounded by an all-star cast, how will he do when his team isn't the most talented every week? When his receivers don't get the type of separation they do in college? When he doesn't get all day to throw?

endorphin said:
One of the things I find so funny is perception that everyone is "bashing" Jay Cutler. My intent of this post was to try to understand why his stock continues to rise from being a 2nd round pick to now top ten, with some speculating the Jets may even take him at #4.

That is not bashing...it is truth!

I watched EVERY Senior Bowl practice and the Senior Bowl game wanting to see what the hype is all about. Where I saw accurate, strong armed throws in practice, I did not see what the hype is all about during the game. That does not mean I don't think he is a solid NFL QB prospect!!! That does not mean I am bashing him...what that means is I fail to understand why, from Nov 9 to now, he has not done anything but be the same QB he was prior to warrant such rise is stock (IMO).

I will be watching every combine workout that the NFL Network shows with great anticipation of his, and other prospect's talent showing.

Cutler.

endorphin said:

Cutler no doubt.

endorphin said:
Equally impressed, your sig says it all.

And I've been saying it since October. Never been impressed with Leinart.

Juan Cribbs said:

Numerous reasons, but to name a few, his arm strength, mobility, his "floating" deep ball, and the biggest one, how well he'd play with less talented supporting cast.

SpeedRush99 said:
Numerous reasons, but to name a few, his arm strength, mobility, his "floating" deep ball, and the biggest one, how well he'd play with less talented supporting cast.
arm strength isn't a problem. he's as mobile as jay cutler behind the line of scrimmage, probably moreso. he puts too much touch on the deep passes, but they don't float. that's a problem that needs to be corrected. his supporting staff is a moot point. he uses them to his advantage as any good quarterback would, but he also creates a lot of plays for them by the various ways he throws off the safety, or the reads he makes before the snap (which he does far more than any other college quarterback, and more than some NFL quarterbacks). no other QB in this draft is remotely close to him when it comes to understanding the game.

Juan Cribbs said:
arm strength isn't a problem. he's as mobile as jay cutler behind the line of scrimmage, probably moreso. he puts too much touch on the deep passes, but they don't float. that's a problem that needs to be corrected. his supporting staff is a moot point. he uses them to his advantage as any good quarterback would, but he also creates a lot of plays for them by the various ways he throws off the safety, or the reads he makes before the snap (which he does far more than any other college quarterback, and more than some NFL quarterbacks). no other QB in this draft is remotely close to him when it comes to understanding the game.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

Back
Top Bottom