D. Gardener : How Will Do At DE?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

D. Gardener : How Will Do At DE??

dg at de should be exciting if he stays healthy and i will say he will get the qb 9 time he had 4 last year at dt which i think is a more difficult position to get sacks

Last edited by a moderator:
i think dg could be a force at de...having burnett,dbowens and o-gun we should be fine depth-wise...i think its an upgrade over bromell and mixon...especially considering the money minnesota gave them...

Its really not that simple. Yes its rare for a DT to be able to get to the QB consistently so yes you can extrapolate that its harder to be a "passrushing" DT than it is to be a "passrushing" DE however they are two completely different techniques that need two completely different sets of strengths and weaknesses.

If it were that easy, Warren Sapp could move to DE and get 22 sacks a season. If it were that easy, John Randle would have been a one man defensive line when he was moved out to DE.

Honestly I'd just try to warn the people here NOT to expect sack production out of Daryl Gardener this season because that is not why we moved him out to DE. First off, he's not even going to be at DE during passing downs. For those downs we'll be moving him inside to DT and putting either Rob Burnett or David Bowens on the edge. That right there just DRAMATICALLY decreases the chances of getting sacks cuz on those pass plays he's only got as much a chance of getting to the QB as he did as a DT except perhaps even less chance cuz he's lost a lot of weight to play DE. He'll see pass plays at DE, but not that many. In this role, in order to put up 10-12 sacks he'd have to be playing at Warren Sapp's level at DT, AND Michael Strahan's level at DE. Thats asking a lot out of a guy who has never been to the pro bowl and has chronic back problems.

that is what he gets paid all the money for though isnt it??? i think if he doesnt stay healthy all year or produce he should be cut

Ive said it before and i will say it again dg is a total loss this year,we over paid for a guy who CANT stay healthy and as far as this year is concerned ,anybody counting on this guy is just plain stupid!He talks too much crap for a guy who cant stay in the lineup.I would prefer that he be replaced by a youngster and we live with it .dg's salary +inability to be there in the stretch of the final games = Bye Bye!

My god Foot, thats a real what have you done for me lately attitude! If it had not been for DG, the past couple of years, this defense would not be this defense! This guy has been a warrior in the trenches for the Phins! He is probowl caliber, who earned every bit of that fat contract! Loyalty and gratitude say root for this guy at DE and hope that he has as much or more success this year for the sake of the team! Talking crap, as you put it is what fires up that Defense, and granted when he's hurt, he's not producing on the field, but that fiery attitude rings through the lockerroom and the sidelines. Lets go DG do the damn thang, I bet he has no doubt that he'll be effective!

sorry but its been 5 yrs now and this guy although effective ..is NOT pro bowl anything .Thats my opinion .. his injuries turn out to be always at the end of the season and it hurts to see what happens ...Its frustrating becuase he is a good player but he has missed almost half of his playing time and for the money i would rather cultivate a young player without back problems ..dg continues to be an underachiever for whatever reasons and im tired of wasting big money on guys who aernt there when we need them.

I think moving DG to DE could create the same pass rush we had in 2000.....Why shouldn't it???

His size and speed will make him very tough to block. I think he'll be a much needed force at DE. Much like T. Armstrong did in 2000, D. Gardener is going to make a very strong push from the outside, and force QB's to move right into the hands of J. Taylor.....

If he doesn't upgrade our pass rush, I'll be very surprised.

Even if he doesn't, R. Burnett is still better than what we had last year. He's made an impressive showing thus far, and so has D. Gardener. We're upgraded at DE no question.

DT's L. Chester and T. Bowens are going to close the middle completely. That will free up Z. Thomas and the LB's. Up the middle, we are stronger. D. Gardener was a good DT, but as far as stopping the run, L. Chester is better.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

DG will start at DE, but he will see alot of time at DT too if he can stay healthy. I think this will work out great for and him our D. He is someone that the opposing team always has to account for so moving him around will make him that much more menacing to the other team. The best thing about him moving to DE is with 3 DTs on the feild Zach should be able to move around the feild free as a bird, and hopefully not take the beeting he did the past 2 years. Again though it all depends on if DG stays healthy

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE
My god Foot, thats a real what have you done for me lately attitude! If it had not been for DG, the past couple of years, this defense would not be this defense! This guy has been a warrior in the trenches for the Phins! He is probowl caliber, who earned every bit of that fat contract! Loyalty and gratitude say root for this guy at DE and hope that he has as much or more success this year for the sake of the team! Talking crap, as you put it is what fires up that Defense, and granted when he's hurt, he's not producing on the field, but that fiery attitude rings through the lockerroom and the sidelines. Lets go DG do the damn thang, I bet he has no doubt that he'll be effective!

This is the NFL in salary cap era - of course it's what have you done for me lately! He's being paid big $$$s and if he gets injured again then get the ejector seat ready.

Good post badfoot - not what people want to hear but it's probably true.

after sam madison made the probowl last year i think anyone can make the probowl!!!! 18 solo tackles and 2 int!!!! not pro bowl numbers..obviously due to injury but since when do they take that into consideration???same with woodson...y he was there i dont know either...popularityi guess...and hell gardner should have made the probowl last year for his numbers before he got injured!!! helll y not right...

stan marino, Sam Madison made the probowl because he shut down his reciever. If the reciever is invisible, there will be no balls thrown that way, which means less INTs and tackles. Sam Madison did this nearly to perfection, as did Charles Woodson.....

Originally posted by Iron Man
Gardener played at DE in college so it shouldn't be totally foreign to him.
That will depend heavily on the other players he faced across the line. This may be inaccurate, but since DG attended Baylor, they probably played teams like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma frequently, even though they're in a different conference. Those teams usually field some pretty good OL's.

well brock marion i disagree!!! i believe there was many more deserving players than both of them!!! hell both beasley and abraham had more ints than madison and woodson!!!!! sounds like a popularity contest to me!!!

FYI, it's been reported that DG was most impressive with the benchpress at mini-camp. He did 18 reps at 315 lbs. Bowens was next with 17 reps at 315 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom