D. Gardener : How Will Do At DE?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

D. Gardener : How Will Do At DE??

In 1998, Timbo was named Pro Bowl starter. But everyone was screaming that Daryl Gardener should have made it.

Then again, you guys know how I feel about the Pro Bowl.

Also, I think some of you are reading waaay too much into stats concerning Sam Madison. First off, Sam makes his man become INVISIBLE. You can't make a lot of INTs when the ball doesn't come your way very often. Many times, he's running the routes for the WR.

That said, Sam dropped a lot of easy INTs last year. But that's why he plays CB and not WR. Sure, it's frustrating when he makes a PHENOMENAL play to fool the QB or blanket the WR and drops the ball. It's something he can improve apon. But from where I'm standing, preventing the WR from catching the ball is more important than getting the INT.

Originally posted by Muck
Also, I think some of you are reading waaay too much into stats concerning Sam Madison. First off, Sam makes his man become INVISIBLE. You can't make a lot of INTs when the ball doesn't come your way very often. Many times, he's running the routes for the WR.

That said, Sam dropped a lot of easy INTs last year. But that's why he plays CB and not WR. Sure, it's frustrating when he makes a PHENOMENAL play to fool the QB or blanket the WR and drops the ball. It's something he can improve apon. But from where I'm standing, preventing the WR from catching the ball is more important than getting the INT.

You are 100% correct, You take away the #1 rec. and force the qb to look else where, it take more time , which in turn gives the dl more time to get to qb. Int's are great but that is not the only thing that makes a great Cb.

Absolutely

I have to agree also... my theory about rating CB's isn't so much tackles and ints...simply because:
If they have a lot of tackles... that may mean they're letting the WR catch the ball... and ints are nice, but like muck said... not the most important thing.
I'd rather rate them by Passes Defended, and the intangible stat(or vapor stat, if you will) of how many times a QB somewhere else (or gets sacked, has to scramble, or throw it away, etc.), because that CB is covering his man so well....
Madison is an expert at blanketing the WR, probably (I'd have to look it up) has high PD's and low tackles, because his man doesn't get the chance to catch it often...

Thats all fine and good, but when the players are injured and playing injured and not producing the numbers that other people are then they should not deserve to go to the probowl...sure madison and woodson probably would have been there anyway if they werent hurt, but they were...i agree numbers dont mean everything, but we could also argue that maybe surtain should have been there instead of madison!!! deion sanders in his prime always found ways to get pix even though the other team would always try not to throw at him too...i do like madison, but he was injured last year and didnt produce numbers that u would expect out of him...so why would he be in the pro bowl...its a poplularity contest

stan marino, you keep saying he didn't produce number, so he shouldn't have made the Probowl. What we're saying is he made the Probowl because he didn't prosuce those numbers. How can he make a tackle or get a pick if his side of the field is totally avoided? You can't, plain and simple. Madison takes one reciever out of the game, this talent is what earned him the Probowl bid, despite not going. Same with Charles Woodson. Imagine having both Sam and Charles on one team, okay, I'm done daydreaming....

Stan, you answered your own question. It's a popularity contest. It has little to do with merit.

That said, I only remember Sam getting beaten twice last year for big plays. And they both came in the same game vs Laveraneous Coles. One was simply a ball up for grabs with blanket coverage. The other was an awesome physical move by Coles to whoop Sam.

The other 13 games, Sam was THE MAN. IMO, he was a "Pro Bowler" if you will. I don't care about what the numbers say. Sam took his man out of the game for an entire season. And THAT'S what made him elite last year.

Back
Top Bottom